Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Portable Announced

NVIDIA unveils Project Shield, a handheld android gaming device powered by a 72-core NVIDIA GeForce GPU/Quad-core A15 CPU. This will include support for playing PC games on NVIDIA-powered systems as well, as outlined on this page:

Project SHIELD gives you the power to wirelessly access your GeForceŽ GTX-powered computer from the comfort of your couch. Play your favorite PC games, including great titles from Steam, on a full-size game controller with ultra-low latency thanks to Project SHIELD's game-speed Wi-Fi and the fast performance of GeForce GTX 600 GPUs.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 12:49 DG

Not sure I can fathom what they were thinking with this.

Living-room electronics requires a huge amount of marketing and brand presence. I'm not sure Nvidia has that. AFAIK Nvidia have only ever sold to enthusiasts and manufacturers.

When I saw they were running Android I figured Android would allow them to bypass that; but then it seems they're not running stock Android nor the android store?

I guess at worst it's a tech demo for other manufacturers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 12:14 Cutter

Fat, awkward, heavy, latency issues, etc. Why would I play on a tiny screen when I don't have to? Why would I want a controller in the first place when I don't need one for 99.9% of games? How soon will it be incompatible with newer Nvidia stuff? Probably inside a week to force people in the upgrade cycle. No thanks!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 12:07 Beamer

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:46:
Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 10:15:

"Zero benefits" is a huge exaggeration.

What's one of the features most cited that people like about the WiiU? "I can sit on the couch and play with the controller while my wife/girlfriend watches TV."

If that's the absolute best counter to zero-benefit, that you can compare it to a WiiU whilst sitting on the couch while someone else watches TV, then you have unintentionally and gleefully proven my point, thank you!

It may not be a benefit to you, but again, it's something you routinely hear WiiU users discuss. Even on this board.

I'm not saying this is a super useful device. Or that I even believe it will make it to manufacturing (I'd be surprised.) But to say it has "zero benefits" is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 11:46 Optional Nickname!

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 10:15:

What's one of the features most cited that people like about the WiiU? "I can sit on the couch and play with the controller while my wife/girlfriend watches TV."

If that's the absolute best counter to zero-benefit, that you can compare it to a WiiU whilst sitting on the couch while someone else watches TV, then you have unintentionally and gleefully proven my point, thank you!

15. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 11:44 NewMaxx

Project SHIELD and GRID are both nice ideas that have the benefit of time (versus some of the earlier innovators), but really my question is one of legality: what kind of patent issues are we looking at here?  

14. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 11:42 Fantaz

They probably want us to play games with this using their Cloud gaming "NVIDIA GRID".  

13. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 11:17 ItBurn

Cool tech! I just don't want to play games with a gamepad...  

12. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 11:01 Beamer

Stimpack wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 10:54:

*edit* Also it really sucks that they went with the PS joystick setup. That's pretty much the only issue people have with their controller. I've always felt that it was designed to focus on the D-pad, considering that the joysticks were just slapped on the thing after analog came out. The D-pad is now FAR from the center of attention.

Agreed 100%. I think they're expecting a lot of platformers to be the early games people start making.

-------------

11. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:54 Stimpack

Obsolete in terms of what? Power? Most definitely. Price? That's what we'll have to see. I'd say that $99 for an emulator/media device and bluetooth controller is worth it. It's what, $75 for the RokuHD? Also we'll see how well the Ouya's warranty holds up, because that does matter.

Anyway, this looks pretty cool. If it's affordable I'll have more of an interest.

*edit* Also it really sucks that they went with the PS joystick setup. That's pretty much the only issue people have with their controller. I've always felt that it was designed to focus on the D-pad, considering that the joysticks were just slapped on the thing after analog came out. The D-pad is now FAR from the center of attention.

10. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:52 Creston

It at least looks unique, but this thing will live and die by its price and its battery life. And I have a nasty suspicion neither of them will be very enjoyable...

Creston

9. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:48 Straylight

How is the WiiU? is that controller worth it? I always saw that thing as Nintendo tablet without the accessibility of android.  

8. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:41 MajorD

Sleeping

7. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:35 InBlack

Sounds like a hey-look-at-what-I-got gimmick.

I mean if Im at home and want to game on my PC im going to game on my PC.

If Im not home, then that WiFi can do shitall for me now can it? I might as well get a gameboy or something...

Or am I missing some niche mainstream market of people who own a high powered (GTX) PC but would for some reason play games on a gamepad with a tiny screen?!

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 10:15 Beamer

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 09:41:
Zero benefits for the established gamer, unacceptably high risk for unethical micro-transactions plus all the disadvantages of network streaming and artificial console restrictions with none of the advantages of local powerful hardware and customization.

Do not want, so let's get it made!

What does this let you do? Sit on the couch and play with the controller while your wife/girlfriend watches TV. Yes, actual games for this will likely be underpowered Android gibberish better played on a tablet. But being able to stream Hotline Miami or Minecraft to it and play on the couch while the TV is otherwise occupied, without antisocially locking yourself in the office, is a nice side benefit.

Personally I'd always planned to just buy a second TV when that situation rears its ugly head, but this is a nice alternative to people that don't want/can't have two giant TVs.

-------------

5. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 09:50 pagb

Looks uncomfortable as a controller... and it must weight a lot!  

4. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 09:48 Verno

Direct link to the twitch stream recording. I fast forwarded to about an hour in when it starts.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 09:41 Optional Nickname!

Zero benefits for the established gamer, unacceptably high risk for unethical micro-transactions plus all the disadvantages of network streaming and artificial console restrictions with none of the advantages of local powerful hardware and customization.

Do not want, so let's get it made!

2. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 09:33 avianflu

Count me interested, but then again I will wait for the 2nd gen. Vita anyone?

If there's pixel lag or dullness on that 5 inch screen that might be a deal-breaker for the PC games.

Android games are mostly freemium crapware so that in particular I have no interest in.

1. Re: NVIDIA Portable Announced Jan 7, 2013, 09:30 Verno

Instantly renders Ouya obsolete.

A cool idea, a wireless streamer, a handheld portable and a controller. It will all depend on implementation though.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo