Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming

NVIDIA announces NVIDIA GRID, their own entry into the cloud computing area, saying they are "building on a unique legacy in gaming graphics and graphic performance to lead the way" in this area pioneered by Gaikai and OnLive. This page has further details, claiming their implementation will allow more concurrent users per server, lower latency, and better game content. Here's an overview: "NVIDIA GRID leverages some of this same technology to render and stream games from the cloud, with thousands of engineers dedicated to creating the ultimate system for service operators. Think of it as a gaming supercomputer in the cloud, built by NVIDIA."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 13:24 The Half Elf

Anyone else notice that Nvidia is setting itself up to be in a prime spot in the cellphone/tablet/portable gaming market pretty rapidly?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 12:41 nin

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:07:
I'll be down for this...just as soon as Google fiber shows up and it's $20 a month unlimited.

They're about 4 hours away from me, and I keep hoping (though seriously doubt) they'll be here next...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 12:24 Quboid

OnLive wasn't bad, it was better than I'd expected when I tried one of the Colin McRae games on it (possibly GRID, ironically). The lag was noticeable but I've played single player games with worse input handling (*cough*Arma2*cough*).

The biggest problem is that it looked like a YouTube video in 720p. Quite low resolution with quite a few compression artefacts just wasn't good enough.

It is (was?) a decent attempt at a decent idea, but I couldn't imagine subscribing unless I spent half my life in hotel rooms with only a low-spec laptop and WIFI to keep me company.

- Quboid

10. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 12:07 Cutter

I'll be down for this...just as soon as Google fiber shows up and it's $20 a month unlimited.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 Fantaz

Those are the nicest looking server racks I've ever seen...  

8. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 11:39 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:08:
There's no magical internet fairy

WHAT!? *sighs dejectedly and opens Ameritrade to sell all of his Google stock*

7. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 11:18 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:16:
I haven't tried onLive or other cloud gaming solutions, but I can't see ANY input lag as being acceptable... The other huge problem is that the internet sucks in Canada. It's too slow and we have very tight/low download limits. There's no way I can stream all the time, it would cost me a fortune. I don't see any of this changing in a long time.

Depends on what you're doing, right?

Input lag is no big deal in most applications people use. Gmail? Browsing? Excel? Not a problem.

Even for games it depends. Something like The Walking Dead could be streamed with no problem.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 11:16 ItBurn

I haven't tried onLive or other cloud gaming solutions, but I can't see ANY input lag as being acceptable... The other huge problem is that the internet sucks in Canada. It's too slow and we have very tight/low download limits. There's no way I can stream all the time, it would cost me a fortune. I don't see any of this changing in a long time.  

5. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 11:08 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 10:59:
To be fair to them, this shit might be worth it a few years down the line so Im guessing that Nvidia is pushing this more as a long term engineering roadmap/investment plan.

A few years down the line, broadband in the US will still be just as shitty as it is now, if not worse. There's no magical internet fairy that's going to solve all of onLive/Gaikai/GRID's problems where sending traffic to and fro over an already overburdened infrastructure is concerned.

Creston

4. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 10:59 InBlack

To be fair to them, this shit might be worth it a few years down the line so Im guessing that Nvidia is pushing this more as a long term engineering roadmap/investment plan.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 10:50 Creston

"Our implementation is better! No, it really is!"

I guess Nvidia didn't see the amount of users onLive had at most times? (Hint: A few hundred, most of whom were playing free games.)

Btw, lower latency is impossible. The onLive guy had already defeated latency, according to his own claims.

Anyway, this is a great way to just completely waste money. Next time, may I suggest just putting a thousand dollar bill in with each graphics card? At least that will drive business. This will fail just as horribly as the previous two idiots who thought it was going to make them billionaires.

Creston

2. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 10:42 Stimpack

Well, I hope this works out. I have plenty of older, crappy computers that would benefit from streaming off of some higher-end firepower. That being said, I really don't know how well any of this 'Cloud Gaming' stuff will work out.  

1. Re: NVIDIA's Cloud Gaming Jan 7, 2013, 10:26 InBlack

I hope they enjoy the same success as Gaikai and OnLive have....

Grin

I have a nifty blue line!

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo