Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Linux Plans?

Blizzard Entertainment will release an official Ubuntu port of one of "at least one" of their games this year reports Phoronix. This report on plans for Linux support is unconfirmed, though the author of the report says this was learned from "a reliable source at the company," and that this was "backed up by additional proof." They say this internal port will be an attempt to gauge the commercial potential for supporting the operating system. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 8, 2013, 08:20 El Pit

Panickd wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 07:44:
Three years is a long time especially when you're talking anything Linux. Yes, Ubuntu has gotten a lot better at "point the mouse at it, click it and it just works" sorts of things. I struggle to think of anything I have absolutely had to drop to a command line for in normal everyday use. You still can, of course, but you don't really need to.

Thx, Panickd. Sounds like I should give it another try.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 8, 2013, 07:44 Panickd

El Pit wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 22:58:
mlw wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:58:
Ah, no. Average users would not have to compile code now. Many years ago, yes. Times have changed.

Also, have you tried to use Windows 8 Metro with only keyboard and mouse? Ubuntu is far more user friendly.

I tried Kubuntu 3 years ago. Everything that was preinstalled worked smoothly, everything else tried to force me to use the command line for installation. If that has chenged, good. If not: I don't want to go back to the DOS times, thank you. As an Average Joe I want to double click some exe, and the software installs without further fiddling around by the user. Is Ubuntu like this now?

Three years is a long time especially when you're talking anything Linux. Yes, Ubuntu has gotten a lot better at "point the mouse at it, click it and it just works" sorts of things. I struggle to think of anything I have absolutely had to drop to a command line for in normal everyday use. You still can, of course, but you don't really need to.

20. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 22:58 El Pit

mlw wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:58:
Ah, no. Average users would not have to compile code now. Many years ago, yes. Times have changed.

Also, have you tried to use Windows 8 Metro with only keyboard and mouse? Ubuntu is far more user friendly.

I tried Kubuntu 3 years ago. Everything that was preinstalled worked smoothly, everything else tried to force me to use the command line for installation. If that has chenged, good. If not: I don't want to go back to the DOS times, thank you. As an Average Joe I want to double click some exe, and the software installs without further fiddling around by the user. Is Ubuntu like this now?

But Valve could work on its own, user-friendly Linux distribution. That would be most welcome. The hate of the nerds would be sure pouring down on them, though, but that's predictable. Valve was a pioneer with its Steam platform, so why shouldn't they now be a pioneer with a real gaming OS for pcs? They sure got the money and muscle to pull this off. It's a risk, but why should they not try it? Oh, and Valve: for god's sake, make sure you work primarily on keyboard/mouse control schemes. If I wanted to use a controller, I'd either go back to my Atari 2600 or buy a PS3/Xbox.

19. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 21:06 nin

kookaveetsa wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:01:
It's funny how a couple of M$ investor trolls always seem to pop up in a linux positive thread to spread their negative BS. Bandana

It's also funny you always have to post in red, yet here we are.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 21:01 kookaveetsa

It's funny how a couple of M$ investor trolls always seem to pop up in a linux positive thread to spread their negative BS. Bandana  

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

17. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 19:58 mlw

El Pit wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 15:11:
I think Actiblizz', Valve's, and the other bigger game companies' new found love for Linux is a bluff. IMO they're trying to put some pressure on Microsoft to rethink its Win8 market place. I really don't think the big game companies want to irritate their customers with Linux and its not very consumer friendly "compile your own files" approach. Yeah, I know, it's easy to use for nerds, but we're talking the Average Joe Steam customer here.

16. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 7, 2013, 18:18 UConnBBall

I think Actiblizz', Valve's, and the other bigger game companies' new found love for Linux is a bluff. IMO they're trying to put some pressure on Microsoft to rethink its Win8 market place. I really don't think the big game companies want to irritate their customers with Linux and its not very consumer friendly "compile your own files" approach. Yeah, I know, it's easy to use for nerds, but we're talking the Average Joe Steam customer here.

Nerd Here taking a guess you never tried Ubuntu. 99% of Ubuntu user don't even know what the heck compile means. My wife and teens use it all the time. They don't even know it is Linux.

15. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 18:17 mag

Krizzen wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 16:03:
*SNIP* -- Yeah, I know, it's easy to use for nerds, but we're talking the Average Joe Steam customer here.

Average Joes use Linux now too! Android!

It's possible. Who says Valve can't make their own distro? Oh yeah, nobody.

Linux-Android could not possibly in any way be more unlike Linux-linux.

14. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 17:14 NegaDeath

Lost Vikings Linux confirmed.  

13. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 16:03 Krizzen

*SNIP* -- Yeah, I know, it's easy to use for nerds, but we're talking the Average Joe Steam customer here.

Average Joes use Linux now too! Android!

It's possible. Who says Valve can't make their own distro? Oh yeah, nobody.

12. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 15:54 Panickd

Spoken like someone who's never used Ubuntu. I doubt there is an Ubuntu user out there who has ever had to "compile their own files".

And Valve is putting in an awful lot of work if they're bluffing. Moving Steam over, lining up third party games, porting it's own Source games over, etc. Sounds like a bit more than a bluff to me especially seeing as they've actually managed to put out some working kit.

11. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 15:37 jdreyer

Yeah, exactly. That's what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 15:28 Granz

Go Blizzard and Go Valve move away from Microsoft. I have used Linux for years. It has changed a TON. I would love to move away from the pig that is Microsoft!  

9. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 15:15 nin

I can't see Valve's "console" being a huge success, but it'll be fun to watch. Hell, I may even pick up one, if the price is low enough, just to fuck around with...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 15:11 El Pit

7. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 14:32 jdreyer

This is probably coordination between Gabe and Mike Morhaime to produce Linux software (announcements) in order to pressure MS away from creating their walled garden model of selling Windows software. The recent Linux announcements have been too coincidental not to have been coordinated.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 13:02 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:01:
I applaud them in spirit, but the idea there's much "commercial potential" at this point is a bit laughable. That's not to say that a market couldn't be grown, but one Blizzard release isn't going to cut it.

It'd be interesting if it was WoW just for the market share, but even then, the people who want to play already are. It's hard to believe there's that many people who want to play any Blizzard game but aren't because they run Ubuntu.

This is how things start though, one release at a time. If you asked me five years ago I wouldn't have thought a steam release on Linux would ever happen either.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

5. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 11:36 Panickd

It's going to be WoW. They've acknowledged having and maintaining a Linux WoW client behind closed doors for a couple of years now (they have even showed it off here and there). It would seem a waste to port over some other game to gauge interest when you've already got one with some low system requirements that you can put out there.  

4. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 11:01 Bhruic

I applaud them in spirit, but the idea there's much "commercial potential" at this point is a bit laughable. That's not to say that a market couldn't be grown, but one Blizzard release isn't going to cut it.

It'd be interesting if it was WoW just for the market share, but even then, the people who want to play already are. It's hard to believe there's that many people who want to play any Blizzard game but aren't because they run Ubuntu.

3. Re: Blizzard Linux Plans? Jan 7, 2013, 10:55 Creston

Offline Diablo 3. Hahahahahaha. Oh Shok.

Anyway, yeah, it'll likely be Diablo 3. With all the fun stuff included. Now linux users can also enjoy the fun that is server-side induced lag in your single player game, and the Real Money Action House, which has been the absolute best idea in gaming since... well, Pong.

When asked if he was excited about approaching a whole new group of gamers with his terribly underwhelming product, Jay Wilson replied "Linux? Fuck those losers."

Creston

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo