Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 11:25 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 04:04:
Lolwut? So when Wii was the Tickle Me Elmo of 2006, it wasn't selling? You're right... One can't help but wonder how many more (than 97 million to date) they would have sold if they had any games! And Microsoft banking on extending the life of the 360 by pushing "your body is the controller," or Sony pushing light-up lollipops and cross-promoting 3D TVs, are TOTALLY not the same thing. Have you seen E3 the last couple years, dude?

Do you have Nintendo stock or are you just a raving fanboy?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 08:35 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 01:24:
You hear that? It's the sound of Reggie and Iwata laughing their way to the bank with all the profit from their "obsolete" consoles.

Nintendo actually had their some losses the past few years and third parties were not happy with how the original Wii shook out. We're still really early in a new console gen, their competitors aren't even to market yet so it's early to be celebrating and declaring victory.

I think Nintendo is a great company and I love their commitment to value but they're in a much different market than six years ago.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 04:04 jacobvandy

Lolwut? So when Wii was the Tickle Me Elmo of 2006, it wasn't selling? You're right... One can't help but wonder how many more (than 97 million to date) they would have sold if they had any games! And Microsoft banking on extending the life of the 360 by pushing "your body is the controller," or Sony pushing light-up lollipops and cross-promoting 3D TVs, are TOTALLY not the same thing. Have you seen E3 the last couple years, dude?  

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 02:50 The Half Elf

Axis wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 01:29:
Half Elf, I'll prepare your Footinthemouth sandwich in a few months...

Please use garlic powder, white pepper and mayo, and bacon, LOTS OF BACON.

But seriously, beyond the games that are cross platform, and Nintendo's own games (which make yearly Call of Duty, EA Sports games look like noobs), what other major games have there been for the Wii? I'm not saying there aren't any, but if you go look at any sort of 'Top X Games for the Wii' you'll find that on average they only go to 25-30, and the majority are Nintendo's own games. This Wiki Page list all of the Wii exclusives, and there are not alot of standout games.

Hardware alone, gimmick's alone, DO NOT SELL SYSTEMS. Software sells the system.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 01:29 Axis

Half Elf, I'll prepare your Footinthemouth sandwich in a few months...  

Yours truly,

Axis

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 01:24 jacobvandy

You hear that? It's the sound of Reggie and Iwata laughing their way to the bank with all the profit from their "obsolete" consoles.  

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 00:13 The Half Elf

Wii users are just happy to have names instead of being numbers in a prison camp.

Wii U is yet another GIMMICK system by Nintendo. You'll have MAYBE 30 good, system defining games for it's lifespan, and 1000's of crappy shitty games just like the Wii.
Spec wise the Wii U just caught up with the 360 and PS3, and will be obsolete spec wise come November.

Just wait until Aliens comes out and we get to see the comparison video's.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 22:54 Axis

PHJF wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:48:
Also Wii U has a great fun and casual feel which is extremely refreshing.

Yes because the Wii was so chock full of seriousness...

The wii had no easily accessible online community.

Yours truly,

Axis

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:48 PHJF

Also Wii U has a great fun and casual feel which is extremely refreshing.

Yes because the Wii was so chock full of seriousness...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 20:51 RollinThundr

Axis wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 20:29:
No, on paper Wii U looks sub par, you just contradicted your earlier statements of the wii u being:
"what's essentially a last gen if not more console" and
"Specs wise the Wii, and Wii U are last gen tech. Facts are facts."

In practice the games look and play better than the ps3/360, and devs have a long way to go before 'knowing' the system (consoles always have that learning refinement, fact of life in devtown). My son has had a 360, ps3, and wii for years, it's obvious the Wii U blows the them away in many ways -- even in it's honeymoon state with the half a dozen games we have on it.

Also Wii U has a great fun and casual feel which is extremely refreshing. The Miiverse is teeming with positive and happy - unlike the majority of doldrum pissy kids on xbox.

All consoles are for all ages, and all are casual. 'Hardcore gamers' don't piss around with anything "console", and age doesn't matter.

My 9 year old casual quake gamer makes 'hardcore' console gamers look like flailing babies... also regardless of their adult status

I meant in general specs for a system can look great on paper, it's what developers do with the dev kits that matters. Granted it's early in the Wii U's life cycle but still, for the types of games I play, I'll stick with the PC and PS3, I'm just not interested in Nintendo franchises anymore.

Now please don't take that as "Nintendo sucks" because that's not at all what I'm saying, I'm just not into their stuff anymore like I was 20 years ago.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 20:32 NegaDeath

JeffD wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:40:
To bad it hasn't shown us that. Every system intensive port like assassins creed 3 has had the Wii U version fall into 3rd place.. either it lost in frame rates or noticeable world detail is lower.

Those games were released on platforms that devs have had 5-6 years to optimize and refine their tools and code for. WiiU game development is still in its infancy. The PS3 also had framerate and visual quality issues with 360 ports for the first few years. As devs get used to the platform it'll take a clear lead in visuals, just as comparing modern 360/PS3 games to their launch titles would.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 20:29 Axis

No, on paper Wii U looks sub par, you just contradicted your earlier statements of the wii u being:
"what's essentially a last gen if not more console" and
"Specs wise the Wii, and Wii U are last gen tech. Facts are facts."

In practice the games look and play better than the ps3/360, and devs have a long way to go before 'knowing' the system (consoles always have that learning refinement, fact of life in devtown). My son has had a 360, ps3, and wii for years, it's obvious the Wii U blows the them away in many ways -- even in it's honeymoon state with the half a dozen games we have on it.

Also Wii U has a great fun and casual feel which is extremely refreshing. The Miiverse is teeming with positive and happy - unlike the majority of doldrum pissy kids on xbox.

All consoles are for all ages, and all are casual. 'Hardcore gamers' don't piss around with anything "console", and age doesn't matter.

My 9 year old casual quake gamer makes 'hardcore' console gamers look like flailing babies... also regardless of their adult status

Yours truly,

Axis

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 19:55 RollinThundr

Axis wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:37:
Rollin I agree with your politics, but you are wrong about the Wii U's architecture power - the initial copy pasted articles talking about clock speeds are nub blog repeats. Plenty of articles out there that explain why they're so wrong.

Here's a snippet from frozenbyte (who also happen to be top notch devs):

Q: When asked about whether there were any difficulties in porting Trine 2 over to Wii U, despite it having a slower clock speed to the Xbox 360 and PS3, Frozenbyte said:

"“None whatsoever…The whole architecture is running very well and we were able to ramp the Trine 2 art to a higher degree than with the other consoles.” So for porting no issues at all and there is a nice base for future original development too. Maybe some were looking for a larger leap in terms of pure power, but in the end I believe most developers will be quite comfortable with the system.”"

There's nothing 'better' than 1080p at the moment and foreseeable future for consoles. You want hardware to be able to pull it off with lots of crap going on, but also pull off the physics, ai, and everything else. It does it much better than older consoles even in the early stage where devs havent figured out how to pull out all the stops. It will have no problem keeping up with the future consoles. And the controller tech is just plain killer, looking forward to more titles that use it well.

And the elephant in the room? 'Graphics' has plateaued, fact.

The majority of people who hate on the Wii U would regardless of what it brought to the table -- they're already sold on Halo 8 and COD 27 on their future Xbox 720 and PS4 and nothing will sway them.

On paper specs are great, in practice Wii U games look worse than their PS3/360 counterparts. I don't hate Nintendo at all, I'm just not their target audience. I grew up with the NES, I liked Mario and the like back then, kiddie games even if they play well, which I'm sure Mario most likely still does, just aren't interesting to me anymore.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 19:42 DangerDog

I thought EA was going to bring Origin to the Wii-U, maybe they're just delaying the release of crysis 3 till they have that working?  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 19:40 JeffD

Crysis 3 is headed for the PS3 and xbox 360. The Wii U has more horsepower than either of them.

To bad it hasn't shown us that. Every system intensive port like assassins creed 3 has had the Wii U version fall into 3rd place.. either it lost in frame rates or noticeable world detail is lower. The gametrailer port reviews for wii u all mentioned performance loss before trying to center on what the touch panel afford new to the game.

Also launch sales mean little.. clearly a lot of early adopters but that does not mean the system will be successful.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 19:37 Axis

Rollin I agree with your politics, but you are wrong about the Wii U's architecture power - the initial copy pasted articles talking about clock speeds are nub blog repeats. Plenty of articles out there that explain why they're so wrong.

Here's a snippet from frozenbyte (who also happen to be top notch devs):

Q: When asked about whether there were any difficulties in porting Trine 2 over to Wii U, despite it having a slower clock speed to the Xbox 360 and PS3, Frozenbyte said:

"“None whatsoever…The whole architecture is running very well and we were able to ramp the Trine 2 art to a higher degree than with the other consoles.” So for porting no issues at all and there is a nice base for future original development too. Maybe some were looking for a larger leap in terms of pure power, but in the end I believe most developers will be quite comfortable with the system.”"

There's nothing 'better' than 1080p at the moment and foreseeable future for consoles. You want hardware to be able to pull it off with lots of crap going on, but also pull off the physics, ai, and everything else. It does it much better than older consoles even in the early stage where devs havent figured out how to pull out all the stops. It will have no problem keeping up with the future consoles. And the controller tech is just plain killer, looking forward to more titles that use it well.

And the elephant in the room? 'Graphics' has plateaued, fact.

The majority of people who hate on the Wii U would regardless of what it brought to the table -- they're already sold on Halo 8 and COD 27 on their future Xbox 720 and PS4 and nothing will sway them.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 19:26 Julio

Given Nintendo is really the console for kids, I just see free-to-play/pay-to-win as a bad thing for them.  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 18:25 RollinThundr

mag wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:18:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 17:26:
Okay, yeah, the thing I just said is completely wrong, but people don't play FPS games on Nintendo hardware.

True.

Honestly, tell me who in their right mind would buy a wii to play COD rather than a Mario title or Zelda or Pokemon or whatnot. I'm not attacking Nintendo here at all, however I really have a hard time believing hardcore shooter fans are lining up in droves to buy a Wii.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 18:18 mag

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 17:26:
Okay, yeah, the thing I just said is completely wrong, but people don't play FPS games on Nintendo hardware.

True.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 17:54 RollinThundr

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 17:47:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:32:
Who are you talking to here? And since you mentioned sales, what were they?

Those two chuckle-heads earlier. Interestingly, they sold out of the $400 premium version of the Wii-U in a lot of places, meaning relative demand for the $300 one was less than they anticipated. We don't have numbers for December yet, but for Black Friday week:

Wii-U: 425k
Wii: 300k
3DS: 250k
DS: 275k
360: 750k
PS3: 525k
Vita: 160k

You're missing the point that Nintendo's fanbase generally aren't looking to play hardcore fps'es on the wii.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo