Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 17:47 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:32:
Who are you talking to here? And since you mentioned sales, what were they?

Those two chuckle-heads earlier. Interestingly, they sold out of the $400 premium version of the Wii-U in a lot of places, meaning relative demand for the $300 one was less than they anticipated. We don't have numbers for December yet, but for Black Friday week:

Wii-U: 425k
Wii: 300k
3DS: 250k
DS: 275k
360: 750k
PS3: 525k
Vita: 160k

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 17:46 Tumbler

I would expect by the end of 2013 we will see most games on PS3 / 360 being ported to Wii U as well so most large games ship on all three platforms. The Wii U's hardware always made it seem like they were trying to slide into the cross platform gaming market where CoD and Assassin's Creed are. (for example) Considering most of the games that came at launch were already out long before the wii u versions I would expect a game like crysis 3 to have all it's resources devoted to the 360/ps3 versions (and the "pc" one) and then after it ships they'd make it on wii u if that even made financial sense.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 17:26 RollinThundr

mag wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 16:00:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 15:55:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:28:
I'm rather certain Nintendo doesn't care for your pithy comments, when Wii-U sales exceed their expectations in its launch week, while the Wii sells almost the same amount as the new console and the DS/3DS sell nearly a million combined in the month of November. So no matter how you define your "generations" of consoles, they have TWO of them performing well simultaneously. Xbox 360 and PS3 are still selling well, but you have to keep in mind they're so old that they can be had for $100-150, while minimum price for Wii-U is $300... They beat the competition to next-gen, so they're reaping the rewards.

Specs wise the Wii, and Wii U are last gen tech. Facts are facts. It's great for Nintendo sure,cheaper to make, lower price in general than the competition, works well for their franchises that they continually reshovel out year after year, and there's nothing wrong with that if you're into Mario or Zelda or whatever, but for developers making high end hardcore games utilizing the latest tech prolly not so much.

Crysis as a franchise has always been about cutting edge visuals, and you're not going to get that on the Wii, that's just the reality of it.

Crysis 3 is headed for the PS3 and xbox 360. The Wii U has more horsepower than either of them.

You'd think it would, it's what 7 years newer? The thing is however it isn't that much more powerful and really, hardcore FPS fans I don't think are generally on Nintendo hardware to begin with.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 16:00 mag

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 15:55:
I'm rather certain Nintendo doesn't care for your pithy comments, when Wii-U sales exceed their expectations in its launch week, while the Wii sells almost the same amount as the new console and the DS/3DS sell nearly a million combined in the month of November. So no matter how you define your "generations" of consoles, they have TWO of them performing well simultaneously. Xbox 360 and PS3 are still selling well, but you have to keep in mind they're so old that they can be had for $100-150, while minimum price for Wii-U is $300... They beat the competition to next-gen, so they're reaping the rewards.

Specs wise the Wii, and Wii U are last gen tech. Facts are facts. It's great for Nintendo sure,cheaper to make, lower price in general than the competition, works well for their franchises that they continually reshovel out year after year, and there's nothing wrong with that if you're into Mario or Zelda or whatever, but for developers making high end hardcore games utilizing the latest tech prolly not so much.

Crysis as a franchise has always been about cutting edge visuals, and you're not going to get that on the Wii, that's just the reality of it.

Crysis 3 is headed for the PS3 and xbox 360. The Wii U has more horsepower than either of them.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 15:55 RollinThundr

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 13:35 The Half Elf

*still wanting the Wii U Lego game for the 360 or PC*  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 12:32 Verno

Who are you talking to here? And since you mentioned sales, what were they?

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 12:28 jacobvandy

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 12:16 Cutter

Not everything has to be premium priced or F2P. Try selling a complete game at a low price point and you may just be surprised you make it up on volume. Every Steam sale proves it over and over again.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 12:02 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:45:
Wii U just sucks... good idea that they don't make it. They know it sucks and Wii U will die off soon. This console was DOA.

I haven't even seen one or played with one, what's so bad about it? I have no clue what the sales are but they appear to have a decent launch line up unlike the 360 and PS3 at their launches.

For me the controller looked ridiculous and I can't justify another console purchase when I already have a gaming PC and a PS3.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 Fantaz

Wii U just sucks... good idea that they don't make it. They know it sucks and Wii U will die off soon. This console was DOA.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 09:35 RollinThundr

Why would EA or any other publisher for that matter put the effort and money needed to strip down a high end game visually, on what's essentially a last gen if not more console that doesn't have a user base that actually cares about core first person shooters?

If they know the game isn't going to sell on the Wii, which it wouldn't, why bother?

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 09:32 Verno

If anyone could do F2P well, it's Nintendo. They have the franchises for it and they're a company that genuinely cares about value in their games.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo