Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I see a lot of criticism of the Redskins for sending RG3 out to play in the playoffs yesterday after reinjuring his knee. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback, but Mike Shanahan deserves a break from the hammering he's taking over this. I mean it's not like he send a blind guy out on the football field where he'd be unable to defend himself. You save something that drastic for the Super Bowl.

Drastic Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Enola: Prelude.
Links: 5 Video Games That Would Make Fantastic Ballets.
Stories: Cat used in Brazil prison smuggling try. Thanks brother19.
Media: Lego Portal. Thanks Reddit.
How much pain a man can endure just to see some boobs?
12 Kids That Have Way More Guts Than You Do.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 13:27 Verno

Man the next round of picks are going to be tough, I am digging through stats and watching old games trying to figure them out  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 13:27 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:29:
In the playoffs you step up and play through the pain. That's just how it goes. Plenty of players play with broken limbs, torn muscles, etc. It's why they get paid the big bucks. You have to want it or you'll never win.

Yeah, but you have to weigh likelihood of repeat injury. Like brain injuries. We've had way too many players come back from concussions too early and ruin their careers.

Knee injuries are ones you shouldn't rush, either. This was a playoff wildcard game, not the Superbowl. And RG3 is a rookie. You're right that this is what he gets paid for, but if he blows out his knee and ends his career he gets cut. Gets an insurance settlement, sure, but a fraction of what he'd earn on his career otherwise.

RG3 is probably the single most exciting rookie in decades. But he refused to let an expert look at his knee, he reinjured it, and he took probably took an unnecessary chance. He should have had it looked at, and if he demanded to play he shouldn't have started. He looked off the entire game. It was clear he shouldn't have been out there.

Great work ethic, and hopefully he'll have a long career, but his coach shouldn't have left him out there when it was so clear he was in pain.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 13:18 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:29:
In the playoffs you step up and play through the pain. That's just how it goes. Plenty of players play with broken limbs, torn muscles, etc. It's why they get paid the big bucks. You have to want it or you'll never win.

Yep. Plenty of young players that already have the guaranteed contracts would have simply sat it out, usually on the advice of their agent. RG3 may or may not turn out to be the superstar quarterback that the media hype machine has tried so hard to turn him into, but nobody can question his heart even if that same hype machine wants to spend all day today questioning his common sense. Had he pulled himself, or if coach Shanahan had sat him, those same people would be questioning that same decision.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 12:29 AngelicPenguin

I was hoping they'd take RG3 out because I just felt bad for the guy. He looked so hobbled, and as time went on it became clear he wasn't going to remove himself, so I was hoping Shanahan would make the decision for him.

I don't fault him for leaving him in though. After the fast start, I can see him hoping he could last the game. Thank goodness he didn't really injure himself on that botched snap, or the uproar would have made this look like nothing.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 12:29 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 11:13 Creston

Yeah, Shanahan was fucked if he did and fucked if he didn't. The Skins held the lead for quite awhile, so he was probably hoping to have RG3 get one more TD, and then just try to ride it out.

Hopefully RG3 will stay more healthy next year.

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 09:57 Verno

Using a cat to smuggle shit into a prison, everyone knows dogs are better diggers  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 09:55 Mr. Tact

The same people criticizing Shanahan now were singing his praises after the Redskins drove for 2 TDs in their first two possessions. Cousins wasn't terrible when in for RG3, but I think gambling on RG3 was a reasonable decision.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 09:37 nin

I'm diggin these early updates, Blue! Thank ya!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo