Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year?

The December 2012 Steam Hardware & Software Survey is online, offering an updated profile of the rigs being used by customers of Valve's online service. The interesting thing to note this time around is how 0.8% of the respondents are using Ubuntu in the first hardware survey since Valve added beta Linux support (thanks Ant via Slashdot). On a related note, NeoGAF has a translation of a German-language article saying that Valve engineer Ben Krasnow told conference attendees that Valve plans to "present" (according to the translation) a Linux based console system in 2013. Presuming this is accurate, it does not seem clear if this means they plan on releasing it or just demonstrating it. Thanks Joao.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 16:10 2nd_floor

D-Rock wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 15:01:
2nd_floor wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:28:
And PS3 is Linux based

FreeBSD based, not Linux based.

Interesting.
And I just found out that Windows (Windows 95 even, maybe earlier versions?), has FreeBSD code. Is linux purely new code, or does it have FreeBSD code? So Valve is hoping developers start making linux versions of games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 15:01 D-Rock

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 12:28:
And PS3 is Linux based

FreeBSD based, not Linux based.

15. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 12:28 2nd_floor

PC Games run on Windows and DirectX. I don't know what X360 is based on, Windows and DirectX, I guess. And PS3 is Linux based, but what is the graphical system?

Steam is not an OS. Valve does not own the rights to Windows. Are they going to hope that game developers write games en mass for Linux now instead of Windows?

PS3 uses some version of the Linux kernel, so maybe many games are already written for Linux somewhat.

A Valve/Steam console will compete with X360 and PS3 I guess.

14. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 07:27 BadIronTree

0.85% nice...  

13. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 7, 2013, 04:43 Krizzen

Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:01:
Dades wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 14:52:
Saw this on slashdot Blizzard planning a linux game. Makes sense if you think about, Blizzard wants to do what Valve is doing and go directly to the customer, Windows 8 introduced a forced middle man for casuals who use the app store.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Considering that Blizzard has been supporting Linux in unofficial ways for many years here and there it wouldn't shock me if they just went whole hog and took a run at a native Linux client for WoW. It's been in existence for a couple of years at least.

You mean just like this?

12. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 22:39 DangerDog

Not interested in a console, from valve or otherwise.

11. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 17:32 Dev

Assuming these dates were even given by Valve, Valve has a hard time sticking to any dates (hence Valve time), because of how they have a flat/zero management structure. If they say 2013, its probably going to be 2015.  

10. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 16:01 Panickd

Dades wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 14:52:
Saw this on slashdot Blizzard planning a linux game. Makes sense if you think about, Blizzard wants to do what Valve is doing and go directly to the customer, Windows 8 introduced a forced middle man for casuals who use the app store.

Considering that Blizzard has been supporting Linux in unofficial ways for many years here and there it wouldn't shock me if they just went whole hog and took a run at a native Linux client for WoW. It's been in existence for a couple of years at least.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 6, 2013, 15:43 Beelzebud

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 14:41:
Am I supposed to be excited by this? My guess is they are going to have some super wrapper that makes Win games run on their version of Unix?

They aren't going to be using Unix, because it would be costly to license the code. Linux was based on the fundamental concepts of Unix, but they have diverged greatly over the years.

8. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 15:17 SirKnight

I can't seem to get Steam to work on linux at all. I have the latest Ubuntu but perhaps it has something to do with the fact I have a few extra GUI managers installed? (KDE, Xfce, ...).  

7. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 14:52 Dades

6. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 14:42 Scottish Martial Arts

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:35:
Question:
If you have never used Linux before (namely Ubuntu) and never used Windows 8 before, how likely is the average joe going to switch to it just for gaming?

The average user will not have any difficulty using a modern Linux distro to write email, use the internet, manage their finances, etc. In fact, for Grandma, Linux might be preferable in that she won't have to worry about "those computer viruses crashing my computer." Likewise, as long as you don't give her root access to the computer, and thus the ability to fuck things up, her computer will remain stable and speedy far longer than the average Windows installation tends to. On the other hand, Linux is much less commonly used, and Grandma won't find a How to Use Linux class at the senior center. So in that sense, it is a bit of trade off, but either way, there is nothing particularly hard about using the GUI of a modern Linux distro: if you can use Windows you can use Linux, and vice-versa.

Now for those who are more sophisticated computer users than Grandma or Average Joe, Linux comes with more challenges and more rewards. Most PC gamers obtain at least a passing familiarity with how a computer works, how to tweak settings, and how to troubleshoot problems; someone wanting to use Linux for more than web browsing absolutely MUST have those skills. With Linux, you are your own tech support. While there are copious resources on the web for working with Linux, and while nearly every problem you encounter will have a step by step solution just a google search away, it is incumbent upon you, the user, to find those resources and solutions and to implement them. With Linux, becoming comfortable with the command line really is essential, where as in Windows, even an intermediate power user can get away with only rarely using the command prompt. So what's the upside of this? I'd say Linux is more satisfying to use, more customizable, more powerful, and engages more of your intellect. Were my Steam and GOG catalog, plus DCS World, all to work on Linux, I probably would stop being a Windows user.

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 6, 2013, 14:41 HorrorScope

Am I supposed to be excited by this? My guess is they are going to have some super wrapper that makes Win games run on their version of Unix?  

4. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 14:12 Armengar

Ubuntu is massively different in that most of my games won't work in Ubuntu.

It was also LIVING HELL ON EARTH getting XBMC running in Ubuntu (ati and remote control, and oh blu ray). In the end I rolled back to xp and sacked up the much slower boot time (I refused to pay for a win 7 lic just for the perks I was after)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

3. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 14:01 LittleMe

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:35
uestion:
If you have never used Linux before (namely Ubuntu) and never used Windows 8 before, how likely is the average joe going to switch to it just for gaming? [/quote:

IMO once you get even a little under the hood, Linux is vastly different from Windows. Grandma might not notice much difference but most people will. If you run into any issues, and you will if you are a regular gamer, you'll be diagnosing and fixing annoying issues and problems for hours or days. It can be a good gaming platform, but I've never used a Linux distribution that 'just worked' for gaming.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

2. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 13:40 Trevellian

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:35
uestion:
If you have never used Linux before (namely Ubuntu) and never used Windows 8 before, how likely is the average joe going to switch to it just for gaming? [/quote:

Ubuntu isn't much different than Windows to be honest. Things are in different locations etc. I have my computer dual boot so I can play with it from time to time. I'd switch over to it fully if enough developers started making their games run on Linux.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

1. Re: Steam Linux Stats - Linux Console This Year? Jan 6, 2013, 13:35 The Half Elf

Question:
If you have never used Linux before (namely Ubuntu) and never used Windows 8 before, how likely is the average joe going to switch to it just for gaming?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo