Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex Design Documents

An article on Eurogamer.net called the "The deleted scenes of Deus Ex," examines Warren Spector's original design documents for Deus Ex, ION Storm's cyberpunk action/RPG. The look at various changes the project took from the original outline, leading lead writer Sheldon Pacotti to say "Warren once commented that in the beginning he envisioned the game as X-Files but he somehow ended up with James Bond." They also note the original working title of Deus Ex was Majestic Revelations, which might seem like a classic now had it stuck, but sounds pretty awful.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 9, 2013, 02:48 Jerykk

bhcompy wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 15:25:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 01:37:
Also, the fixation on story is never a good thing. Conviction did that and we ended up with a much more linear and scripted game than before. Gameplay should dictate story, not vice versa.

It's a Clancy game. They've been awful since Red Storm was bought out.

No, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Rainbow Six 3 were good. Things only started going downhill after that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 15:25 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 01:37:
Also, the fixation on story is never a good thing. Conviction did that and we ended up with a much more linear and scripted game than before. Gameplay should dictate story, not vice versa.

It's a Clancy game. They've been awful since Red Storm was bought out.

20. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 13:24 Riker

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:04:
...getting Warren's ass on a Star Wars inspired Deus Ex game...

Disney: do this (assuming you mean a Deus Ex-inspired Star Wars game).

19. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 11:04 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 23:05:
You say you have no idea about #2, but that's because you know you won't play it. Remember what Warren said earlier, that after this he'll already be working on Epic Mickey 3? I can't imagine it being that much better.

I have no idea about #2 because I never HAVE played it. I played the first one for awhile over at a friend's house, and I thought it was okay. I doubt that I'm really the market for it, but I thought the open world elements worked well, and it looked good. The 2d platforming, eh... (then again, I've never liked platforming, so...)

Said person never bought Mickey 2, so that's why I can't really comment.

But yeah, if he's now going to make Mickey 3, then he's really, really fallen very far. I guess that's all Disney will let him do. Instead of some shitwick there getting Warren's ass on a Star Wars inspired Deus Ex game, no, let's have him do ANOTHER Mickey Mouse game, because, you know, that IP still inspires so many people?

Creston

18. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 10:58 Creston

Rigs wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 22:59:
Holy crap, Creston, did you know you have more comments than your User ID number?! Worship

=-Rigs-=

Did you ever look at nin's? Or bat's?

Creston

17. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 09:16 Riker

Awesome! Can't wait to read this.  

16. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 01:37 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 00:39:
Re: Random shit -- Ubisoft isn't using Michael Ironside for the new Splinter Cell because he's old and feeble. As if their super-advanced mo-cap and lip-synch technology doesn't support voice dubbing.

Yeah, it's a pretty flimsy excuse. I'm pretty sure Ironside didn't do the mo-cap for any of the previous games so why is this one any different? Also, the fixation on story is never a good thing. Conviction did that and we ended up with a much more linear and scripted game than before. Gameplay should dictate story, not vice versa.

15. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 00:39 jacobvandy

Re: Random shit -- Ubisoft isn't using Michael Ironside for the new Splinter Cell because he's old and feeble. As if their super-advanced mo-cap and lip-synch technology doesn't support voice dubbing.  

14. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 23:47 The Half Elf

90% of Epic Mickey was outsourced, so take Deus Ex HR's Boss fights x10 and that is what ya get. I'd like to play it but again these really crappy Nintendo Wii or Wii U exclusives suck.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 23:05 Fantaz

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 15:14:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 13:33:
How does Warren Spector go from System Shock to Epic Mickey 2?

Epic fails...

Epic Mickey really isn't that bad a game. No idea about #2, but one was pretty decent.

It's just marginal steps, and suddenly you're doing stuff that nobody could have ever seen you doing. Look at Richard Garriott: His latest game was a fucking poker game for Facebook.

As for the name, yeah, that would have sucked. Imagine Majestic Revelations:Human Revolution. Urk.

Edit : Fixed tag.

Creston

It's really a bad game... already the price dropped down to $19 here from $59 for all platforms. You can see the general consensus shows that it got an average of 60%, but user score average is lower being at 4.3/10. (Metacritic link.) That's already a travesty. Ask a game store how many copies they sold and they'll tell you nobody's buying it, sales is very low.

You say you have no idea about #2, but that's because you know you won't play it. Remember what Warren said earlier, that after this he'll already be working on Epic Mickey 3? I can't imagine it being that much better.

12. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 22:59 Rigs

Holy crap, Creston, did you know you have more comments than your User ID number?! Worship

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

11. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 20:57 The Half Elf

I SIR Half-Elf am posting the following message:

I have nothing of value to add to this conversation therefore I shall just insert random shit here.

RANDOM SHIT HERE

Yours Truly,
Half-Elf

er wait..

SIR Half-Elf

PS: SIR Half-Elf was here.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 20:35 Rigs

I feel like an adult sitting in a mall food court and all the kids are laughing at a joke I don't get...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

9. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 18:24 Orphic Resonance

Kosumo wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 17:55:
I thought thats was fuck'n funny (Rollin Thundr light jab at Creston tag)

Blues News, Good Times.

i suppose thats why someone invented that word "tragicomic" a couple thousand years ago

8. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 17:55 Kosumo

I thought thats was fuck'n funny (Rollin Thundr light jab at Creston tag)

Blues News, Good Times.

7. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 17:23 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 17:12:
Awww and now you're on the dipshit list. Bye!

Creston

Lighten up Francis.

6. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 17:23 nin

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 17:12:

Creston

He wasn't already? Really?!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 17:12 Creston

Creston

4. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 15:59 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 15:14:

Epic fails...

Epic Mickey really isn't that bad a game. No idea about #2, but one was pretty decent.

It's just marginal steps, and suddenly you're doing stuff that nobody could have ever seen you doing. Look at Richard Garriott: His latest game was a fucking poker game for Facebook.

As for the name, yeah, that would have sucked. Imagine Majestic Revelations:Human Revolution
. Urk.

Creston

We know who you are creston, no need to not only bold but increase the font while signing your posts on a gaming site.

3. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 6, 2013, 15:14 Creston

Epic fails...

As for the name, yeah, that would have sucked. Imagine Majestic Revelations:Human Revolution. Urk.

Edit : Fixed tag.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2013, 17:18.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo