Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Torchlight II
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. THQ Collection
  5. Borderlands 2
  6. Max Payne 3
  7. Age of Empires III Complete
  8. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  9. Arma II Combined Operations
  10. Civilization V: Game of the Year Edition

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 8, 2013, 06:49 Quinn

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 22:10:
See second comment about controls and stop being such a sperg, sheesh

I've read the second comment in the last comment before the one I'm replying to right now, Verno. Sheesh that was a weird sentence..

Anyway, in my last comment I was referring back to the comment you wrote before that one. First you say the game's port blows unless you download a file and use a controller. It was only in the later comment where you said the game is "playable" or whatever with a KB/M. Your tone was a telltale sign that I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

You see, controls wise a game shouldn't show signs of being a port if I want to even start enjoying it. DS evidently does.

It really shouldn't matter, though. You kinda act like I'm a moron for not liking/playing/trying the game. But like I said, give me a demo and I'll try it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 22:10 Verno

See second comment about controls and stop being such a sperg, sheesh

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 20:36 Quinn

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 14:45:
Quinn wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 11:23:
There's a sense of freedom that I don't need to explain to you, playing games with KB/M. It's a freedom I cannot miss, or a game simply would not be worth playing to me.

A sense of freedom you might encounter by leaving the asylum too

The game is beatable with KB/M, just not optimal. It's not like they don't give you the option of using them at all but hey whatever, it's only one of the best games in the past five years.

"The port blows but it's easily fixed by installing a single file and using a controller." Need I remind you of the thing you just said before, Verno?

I don't WANT to use a controller and I won't, therefore.. according to basic logic and your comment, the port blows -- debateable atleast for me it does, but I think a port blows either way when it can't properly implement KB/M gameplay.

"A sense of freedom you might encounter by leaving the asylum too :D" Whatever that means..? If that comment truly implies you didn't understand what I meant, which would be a rather sad thing indeed -- for every console+PC gamer I know knows what I mean by it, and even agree! -- then let me explain with an example: When I'm walking around in a game I want to freely look around, the same way I would in real life, instead of in that same 180-degrees-in-three-seconds kinda way a controller grants you. There's a certain amount of "tunnelvision", if you will, that you have to stoically accept when you use a controller. Atleast compared to proper KB/M gameplay.

Hope I cleared that up. There's no more time to elaborate further. The drugs are wearing off and the guards are looking for me...

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 21:01.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 14:45 Verno

There's a sense of freedom that I don't need to explain to you, playing games with KB/M. It's a freedom I cannot miss, or a game simply would not be worth playing to me.

A sense of freedom you might encounter by leaving the asylum too

The game is beatable with KB/M, just not optimal. It's not like they don't give you the option of using them at all but hey whatever, it's only one of the best games in the past five years.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 14:59.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 14:27 OpticNerve

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 08:56:
Quinn wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 06:01:
Sadly, I will not buy Dark Souls. This is one of those games that definitely needs a demo before I can be tempted to lay money down for it.

I can't stand half-assed ports. It's so 2004. From what I read here, Dark Souls definitely is one such port.

I'm disappointed. The game looks really cool in the vids and I really wanna try it out. Just not for 19,99.

The port blows but it's easily fixed by installing a single file and using a controller. The game doesn't lend itself well to KB/M anyway, there are a lot of sections that require precision locomotion and movement that are better suited to analog sticks. It's an amazing game and there is little else like it on the market. Your loss.

I don't play games with a controller. I hate them. It's one of the reasons I don't own a console. There's a sense of freedom that I don't need to explain to you, playing games with KB/M. It's a freedom I cannot miss, or a game simply would not be worth playing to me.

My loss, I'm sure.

Just to reiterate my last post, you DON'T need a gamepad to play Dark Souls and it's perfectly playable with a keyboard and mouse once you use DSfix and DSMfix. It's purely personal preference as to what control method you want to use and for me a keyboard and mouse was the way to go since I couldn't get used to relying on the right thumbstick to constantly center my camera. Although I personally have not beat the game yet (taking my time to explore) a lot of people using DSMfix and a keyboard and mouse have done so with multiple playthroughs and no issues.

I used a quick google search, but here's a video of a player using DS/Mfix and although he kind of sucks (barely raises his shield and parries) it shows how easy it is to play and do various moves with the k+m: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Wb0BdKyAE

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 14:01 Dirwulf

The THQ collection is pretty impressive for the price.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 Quinn

Oh something else entirely, and pardon me for being off-topic here.. but:

WHEN can we expect the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim?! I haven't read much about it and I didn't see any videos, all on purpose. When I read you can tame a dragon and it takes place in Solstheim, I was sold. I'm really looking forward to it!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 Quinn

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 08:56:
Sadly, I will not buy Dark Souls. This is one of those games that definitely needs a demo before I can be tempted to lay money down for it.

I can't stand half-assed ports. It's so 2004. From what I read here, Dark Souls definitely is one such port.

I'm disappointed. The game looks really cool in the vids and I really wanna try it out. Just not for 19,99.

The port blows but it's easily fixed by installing a single file and using a controller. The game doesn't lend itself well to KB/M anyway, there are a lot of sections that require precision locomotion and movement that are better suited to analog sticks. It's an amazing game and there is little else like it on the market. Your loss.

I don't play games with a controller. I hate them. It's one of the reasons I don't own a console. There's a sense of freedom that I don't need to explain to you, playing games with KB/M. It's a freedom I cannot miss, or a game simply would not be worth playing to me.

My loss, I'm sure.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 11:08 nin

I didn't buy anything at all in the Steam sale this year.

Wow! That's willpower!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 11:04 sauron

I didn't buy anything at all in the Steam sale this year. GW2 has me completely hooked.  

Kittens!

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 08:56 Verno

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 06:01 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 7, 2013, 05:36 mag

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 20:26:
Does anyone have Dark Souls on both a console and the PC? If so is it worth getting on the PC if I already have it on the PS3?

I seem to remember something about the controls are bad unless you use a gamepad on your PC. I've been waiting for it to go on sale before taking a chance on it still I'm hesitant.

It definitely looks prettier on the PC if you use DSFix.

It also cleans up some (not all) of the performance problems in Blight Town.

It is a tremendous pain in the ass to co-op. I would literally say 99% of my attempted summons have failed. I have only managed to summon one person, and I've tried a lot.

Invading is easier.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 23:22 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 19:01:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 18:27:
Kosumo wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:45:

Yes, I get scared in the water in real life.

You're not alone.

All my parents watched growing up was Jaws and Poltergeist. Great when every house you live at in California has a pool..

I haven't found sharks yet.

Yeah, for those of us who grew up with Jaws all you have to do is start humming that theme and people are leaping out of the water.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 22:46 Paranoid Jack

Thank you both for the info, I appreciate it. I bought it after all.  

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 21:39 OpticNerve

Does anyone have Dark Souls on both a console and the PC? If so is it worth getting on the PC if I already have it on the PS3?

I seem to remember something about the controls are bad unless you use a gamepad on your PC. I've been waiting for it to go on sale before taking a chance on it still I'm hesitant.

Actually the game's completely playable with a keyboard and mouse. It does take some fiddling around with rebinds and two mods before you can get it how you like it but I somehow find it easier to play with a k+m than my gamepad. That might have to do with me not being a console gamer and not being used to a gamepad though so your mileage may vary.

The two mods you need:

- DSfix: (you should be using this anyway):
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19

- Mouse Fix:
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/28

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 20:54 Jerykk

It's an extremely half-assed port. Basically, they didn't do anything to take advantage of the PC. They locked the render resolution so that it matches the console resolution (which is like 1024xsomething) and they capped the framerate at 30. However, there's a mod called DSFix that uncaps the framerate and makes the game render at your screen resolution, making it look significantly better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 20:26 Paranoid Jack

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 19:01 The Half Elf

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 18:27:
Kosumo wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:45:

Yes, I get scared in the water in real life.

You're not alone.

All my parents watched growing up was Jaws and Poltergeist. Great when every house you live at in California has a pool..

I haven't found sharks yet.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 18:41 jdreyer

Hmm, the only indie game up there is TL2. I guess Steam really does get most of its income from the big publishers.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo