Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 09:03:
I run both Windows 7 and Windows 8, find very little difference between them in just about any respect and most benchmarks bear that out. For $15-40 most people won't care but those prices go up in less than a month and that's going to make upgrading even more dubious. Windows phone is just a meh platform overall so far, mostly unimpressive hardware, app selection isn't great, it doesn't do anything better than Android and is less customizable. They're going to need to do better in both respects going forward, just playing catch up with everyone else isn't working.

It's a nice alternative to Android for people that don't care much about customization. Which, while it may not be the vocal portion of users, it's the bulk. It's super smooth and looks very nice.

If you care about apps, though, it's useless for you. No way to sugarcoat that.

And the hardware is indeed unimpressive. The Nokia 920 is awesome - looks beautiful, runs everything silky smooth, and has the best camera on a phone (which matters to me far more than apps.) But it's stupidly big. I couldn't imagine using a phone that large.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 11:22 Creston

I like the idea that prices go up in a month. I can just see Balmer sitting there, going "Well, people are not upgrading now, maybe they will upgrade if we make it MORE EXPENSIVE!!!"

And then he gets all puffed up and beet red and throws chairs around the office again.

Creston

10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 09:03 Verno

I run both Windows 7 and Windows 8, find very little difference between them in just about any respect and most benchmarks bear that out. For $15-40 most people won't care but those prices go up in less than a month and that's going to make upgrading even more dubious. Windows phone is just a meh platform overall so far, mostly unimpressive hardware, app selection isn't great, it doesn't do anything better than Android and is less customizable. They're going to need to do better in both respects going forward, just playing catch up with everyone else isn't working.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 01:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Dades wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 00:10:

You haven't even used Windows 8.
I have, I'm running it right now. My only real complaint was the serious shift(or shit) in the UI. Once you got past that it's not really bad at all.

The main 'under the hood' stuff is more so worth it than anything else as long as you can tolerate the UEFI, though there are options to disable that in my current board. And I've run across my first incompatible game it uses gamemaker, but the audio driver uses very specific japanese dll file which hasn't been updated since 2006. I say that's pretty damn compatible overall.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 00:10 Dades

Hellbinder wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 21:08:
Windows 8 is awesome as is a windows 8 phone I was helping someone with recently.

all the animosity people have against windows 8 makes ZERO sense.

You haven't even used Windows 8.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: Android stats Jan 6, 2013, 23:18 TurdFergasun

Panickd wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 17:16:

You don't have to get tied to a new agreement with your when you get a new phone. I've been through three different phones now and been out of contract for over four years. And an option is not options, that's singular as opposed to plural as Google only offers a single Nexus phone at a time.

there are carriers that usually have new versions of the last nexus phone for up to a year or so, and you can purchase the current nexus from google direct. hell there's plenty of brand new nexus s and one's still on the market if you have a bit of a search. while you dont' have to sign on for the 3yr plan of payment servitude $5-600 is a bit much for a phone, basically a reverse incentive to tie you down to a contract, sort of similar to how cable companies charge through the ass for internet if you dont' bundle tv and phone service.

MS deserves all the animosity they get and more, they try to shoe horn their customers into doing what's good for MS, making serving the customer a distant priority, as long as the customer stays hooked on the MS snake oil mission accomplished. they imitate and copy, and stifle what growing innovations exist to defend or bolster their own software monopoly. and because balmer.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2013, 23:23.

6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 6, 2013, 22:16 NegaDeath

Hellbinder wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 21:08:
Windows 8 is awesome as is a windows 8 phone I was helping someone with recently.

The animosity does make sense you simply disagree with it. I'm glad you enjoy 8, the rest of us who don't will skip it or wait until SP1 (Sanity Pack 1) to give them a chance to fix things.

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 6, 2013, 21:08 Hellbinder

The Whales name is Bob.

4. Re: Android stats Jan 6, 2013, 17:16 Panickd

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:14:
Like i've said previously there are options around carrier firmware, it's called any nexus device. You're making a choice to be corralled into a carriers unwillingness to give a shit about your ability to upgrade the os on an aging phone when you buy a non nexus device. Sure if you don't like the nexus designs i guess you have to take that into consideration when purchasing yourself a new 3 year slavery term...

re: maps

I hope windows phone burns as badly as win8, sad for nokia, but MS burnt it's bridges for any fucks to be given long ago. they should allow more browsers to be used with their phone if they want maps support, considering they only have 2% of the mobile market I wouldn't expect google to make supporting their crappy mobile browser a priority. The bully in the school yard crying foul cause they got a whiff of something that somewhat resembles their own medicine.

You don't have to get tied to a new agreement with your when you get a new phone. I've been through three different phones now and been out of contract for over four years. And an option is not options, that's singular as opposed to plural as Google only offers a single Nexus phone at a time.

3. Re: Android stats Jan 6, 2013, 16:14 TurdFergasun

Like i've said previously there are options around carrier firmware, it's called any nexus device. You're making a choice to be corralled into a carriers unwillingness to give a shit about your ability to upgrade the os on an aging phone when you buy a non nexus device. Sure if you don't like the nexus designs i guess you have to take that into consideration when purchasing yourself a new 3 year slavery term...

re: maps

I hope windows phone burns as badly as win8, sad for nokia, but MS burnt it's bridges for any fucks to be given long ago. they should allow more browsers to be used with their phone if they want maps support, considering they only have 2% of the mobile market I wouldn't expect google to make supporting their crappy mobile browser a priority. The bully in the school yard crying foul cause they got a whiff of something that somewhat resembles their own medicine.

2. Re: Android stats Jan 6, 2013, 16:07 Panickd

And more than 40% of all Android devices would be running ICS or higher if it weren't for OEMs not bringing the new OSes to their phones and carriers not supplying the ports that the OEMs do create.  

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 6, 2013, 13:49 The Half Elf

Still waiting for ATT to upgrade the HTC One X....  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo