Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 22:59 xXBatmanXx

wtf_man wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 09:25:
I loved Alpha Protocol, and I picked it up really cheap because of all the bad press.

The only thing I really didn't like was the "timer to choose dialog"... that was real annoying, but I lived with it.

Yup one of my fav games that I missed out on and grabbed on a friends recommendation. Probably one of the best games I have played in a long time and was a lot of fun. I really like the choices and they meant something.

Just felt like good ol school gaming honestly....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 09:25 wtf_man

I loved Alpha Protocol, and I picked it up really cheap because of all the bad press.

The only thing I really didn't like was the "timer to choose dialog"... that was real annoying, but I lived with it.

9. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 09:23 avianflu

loved the choices that could be made in that game. The gameplay was at times outright broken.  

8. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 08:44 nin

and some of the stuff (like aim being based on how many points you put into it) is just cringe worthy.

Didn't the original DX do the same thing, though? I remember point allocation, but I don't know if it directly effected mouse input. But I remember the default sway on the scope.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 02:31 eRe4s3r

But when it comes to dialog, consequences, and choices in how to approach a mission Alpha Protocol was great. I never could get over how stupid as hell the combat in that game was, but anything else was fine. And it had great writing.  

6. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 02:21 The Half Elf

Just started playing this again last night (never got past the 1st mission) and some of the stuff (like aim being based on how many points you put into it) is just cringe worthy. Mass Effect had it right.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: etc. Jan 7, 2013, 01:10 Jerykk

A sequel would be great. It could retain the excellent choice and consequence of the first game while expanding and improving upon the weaker gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, the game sold like crap and Sega (which is currently facing financial problems) owns the IP. Still, I'm surprised there haven't been any high-profile spy RPGs yet. In fact, there are tons of unexplored settings for RPGs yet 95% of the RPGs made still use generic fantasy.  

4. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2013, 23:22 Prez

I agree with the retrospective - Alpha Protocol's abundance of meaningful and consequential choices was second to none. Several of the game mechanics were indeed iffy, but given how much Alpha Protocol did right I still consider it a great game. I'd love to see a sequel or another spy RPG in the same vein.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2013, 22:56 Dades

ItBurn wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 22:25:
I really liked alpha protocol.
People said that the controls were bad, the the aiming was broken and that the minigames sucked. I disagreed on all points. Controls were fine. The minigames were fine. The aiming was fine. As far as the aiming goes, it was tied to your skills. Bad skills, you won't aim perfectly. I guess people expected it to be an action game, but it was a rpg.

They've talked about how internally they didn't know what game it was going to be, half of the team was split between making it a hardcore RPG and the other half wanted a shooter. It turned out to be weird mix of gameplay that didn't really work that well, the game was carried by its strong writing and branching dialog trees. I thought it was ok, not really deserving of its accolades or hatred equally.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

2. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2013, 22:49 The Half Elf

Being able to disappear in the middle of a bright room right in front of a baddie staring at you makes for a good game?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: etc. Jan 6, 2013, 22:25 ItBurn

I really liked alpha protocol.
People said that the controls were bad, the the aiming was broken and that the minigames sucked. I disagreed on all points. Controls were fine. The minigames were fine. The aiming was fine. As far as the aiming goes, it was tied to your skills. Bad skills, you won't aim perfectly. I guess people expected it to be an action game, but it was a rpg.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo