Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well my daring selections in yesterday's NFL playoff games were as bad as they were bold... I would have jumped off the Vikings if I'd have known they were playing someone who makes Christian Ponder look like Peyton Manning, but since there are no rules for making picks here, I decided changing was against them. Here's hoping for a good day today to get me back to .500.

Daring Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Railroad Shunting Puzzle 2.
Water Buboy.
Links: Emergency Compliment.
Stories: An Update On Peter David's Health And How To Help With His Medical Costs.
Ailing 'Star Trek' Fan Who Got To See 'Into Darkness' Dies. Thanks nin.
Media: I Trust You.
Who Did It?
Piano Duet for Two Cats. Play them off!
The Funnies: FoxTrot.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 02:20 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 02:03:
Rigs wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 03:02:
Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:57:
No it's not strange to see the same teams in the playoffs. It's always cyclical when they're in dominance. Look at all the periods for the NFl and you'll usually see the same team in the playoffs for several years on a row until the key players retire or are traded and the rebuilding process begins again.

I'm aware of that, I was just surprised at the amount of teams that have come back again...I guess this doesn't apply to the defending Super Bowl champs, eh?

=-Rigs-=

Previous to this year the NFL had a streak of like 10 years where there were at least 5 teams in the playoffs who were not in the year before. Considering only 12 teams make the playoffs, that is a pretty high number. Some teams are more consistent then others, but even teams like the Packers, Patriots and the Steelers miss the playoffs occasionally. The Buffalo Bills are the only team not to make the playoffs since the turn of the century.

Woo Lions

This is a fun wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 02:03 Jivaro

Rigs wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 03:02:
No it's not strange to see the same teams in the playoffs. It's always cyclical when they're in dominance. Look at all the periods for the NFl and you'll usually see the same team in the playoffs for several years on a row until the key players retire or are traded and the rebuilding process begins again.

I'm aware of that, I was just surprised at the amount of teams that have come back again...I guess this doesn't apply to the defending Super Bowl champs, eh?

=-Rigs-=

Previous to this year the NFL had a streak of like 10 years where there were at least 5 teams in the playoffs who were not in the year before. Considering only 12 teams make the playoffs, that is a pretty high number. Some teams are more consistent then others, but even teams like the Packers, Patriots and the Steelers miss the playoffs occasionally. The Buffalo Bills are the only team not to make the playoffs since the turn of the century.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 09:10 Verno

I don't think the Redskins would have won either way, both teams seemed a bit off but the Seahawks were at least consistent.

Really interested in seeing the seasonal results sometime if you get a chance Blue.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 08:52 The Half Elf

Rigs, if they ever add spikes, caltrops, oil slicks, and/or any number of Interstate 76 weapons to Nascar then I am allll for it.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 03:02 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 02:58 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 02:20:
NO NO NO TO NASCAR. I'd rather watch Golf and Lawn Bowling then watch cars make left hand turns! Baseball is 2nd runner up as it is BORING as HELL!
And NASCAR? *shudder* I'd rather watch paint dry.

*Runs back into the bedroom and quickly takes the 'Dale Jr.' t-shirt back off*

So much for that...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 02:57 Cutter

And NASCAR? *shudder* I'd rather watch paint dry.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 02:20 The Half Elf

NO NO NO TO NASCAR. I'd rather watch Golf and Lawn Bowling then watch cars make left hand turns! Baseball is 2nd runner up as it is BORING as HELL!

Need some sort of BattleBots type show to bet on.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 23:19 Rigs

Wow, I followed good ol' Creston into 'harm's way' (took his picks for the football games) and came out...even. Compared to last time I did this, that's just fine by me! Since the Giants put themselves out of their own misery, it's all fun and games anyway...I have no emotional horse in this race...

EDIT: So since the football season is quickly coming to an end, I'm curious how many of you guys are getting ready for the Daytona500 next month? Maybe we can get a list going for the upcoming NASCAR season? Yeah, I know you all would rather watch baseball (*puke*) but it can be fun rooting for the first guy to go around in a circle 200 times without throwing up...

EDIT #2: You know, I was looking some more on nfl.com and I noticed that, with the exception of the Saints and Giants (*sniff*), most of the teams that were in the 'post season' in 2011 are there this year as well...pretty cool/strange/ironic, eh?

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 02:56.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 22:21 Creston

Yeah, RG3's a great QB, but at the rate he's sustaining injuries, his career will be done in two years...

Strange game. Seahawks really didn't play that well, but apparently the Redskins had 6 minutes of total gameplay in their plan for the day.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 20:51 dj LiTh

The really messed up thing is the redskins organization trying to hide rg3's concussion earlier in the season, and then letting him play without being cleared by the team doctor. Now he's probably a lot worse off than he was when he initially injured his LCL.

Also noway pats vs GB, Denver vs 9ers all day

12. Re: Star Trek fan dies Jan 6, 2013, 20:44 mag

1badmf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 19:34:
as a long time redskins fan... ouch!

Missed the game, but I saw a picture of him in the process of collapsing. Holy shit, his knee looked *fucked*.

I really, really don't see a Packers/Patriots Superbowl.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 19:50 Sepharo

Well the two picks I got wrong were because of QB injury. Though you guys (and the "experts") tell me that Ponder would've lost against GB as well. I thought for sure AP would run wild again for the win.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 19:38 Cutter

Meh, I thought Warshington was going to blow off Seattle's doors the way they came out in the first quarter. Oh well, so much for that. So it looks like it's going to be a Packers v. Patriots Superbowl.

9. Re: Star Trek fan dies Jan 6, 2013, 19:34 1badmf

as a long time redskins fan... ouch!  

8. Re: Star Trek fan dies Jan 6, 2013, 18:34 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 15:03:
That was really cool of JJ Abrams.

I was about to snarkily say, "There is nothing cool about JJ Abrams," but then I saw the headline. Oh. Yeah. Pretty good of him.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 17:17 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:09:
Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 15:19:
It's not as if Ponder would have been that much better.

Creston

Except you know for those 3 td's he put up against GB the previous game...

I wouldn't really go by one game. I'd look at his overall career and realize that he's just not that good.

Then again, I thought Baltimore had been playing poorly and figured that would carry over into the playoffs, so the Colts could squeak out a fourth quarter come from behind win, but they played very well. Which is good, because I'm not sure anyone else will beat the Patriots.

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 16:53 dj LiTh

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 16:43:

Creston

That was GB being off it's game and a few bad calls on them. Yesterday you saw how it usually goes down. And thanks a lot Colts! Friggin hate Baltimore!

Same, Colts are my team, although this year is nothing but a victory. I said at the beginning of the season to myself that if we go 8-8 i'll be very happy. Now on to root for Denver vs 9ers in the superbowl for me.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 16:43 Cutter

Creston

That was GB being off it's game and a few bad calls on them. Yesterday you saw how it usually goes down. And thanks a lot Colts! Friggin hate Baltimore!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2013, 16:09 dj LiTh

Creston

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo