Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Sale Encore

The Steam Website now features the promised encore of the Steam 2012 Holiday Sale. They have relisted a bunch of game sales to run for the next 48 hours.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:29 Mashiki Amiketo

I was considering picking up anno 2070, but I think I'll wait for a further drop/GOTY edition with all the DLC packed in. Though dishonored for $29 is tempting.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:25 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
And then they constantly rotated the very same offers all the time, with some minor additions of course.
Similar to last time, they rotated the flash sales, which similar to last time were mostly subsets of the dailies. But also similar to last time, they didn't seem to repeat dailies.

However, they had the vast majority of steam titles on sale, they just didn't bother to put them on the front page. They should have rotated items from the normal sales onto the front page too. Like a section near the bottom that showed something like "and here's 10 more randomly chosen items from amongst our thousand + on sale"

It would have been cool to see completely different randomly chosen items on the front page each time from something like that.

And also, it costs valve sales, to literally not have any possible accessible way to show all titles currently on sale in one list, while this sale is going on.

Protip valve: Hire someone who loves doing GUI stuff and has fun doing it. Because your steam interface is still crap. Still preventing people from getting what they want out of it, both before and after they buy.

The stupid thing is, they HAVE a way to show all the sale titles, they just removed it from front page while this sale is going on. I couldn't find a way to access it from other steam pages either.
Similarly, they HAVE a way to do things like mark which games have co-op, they just don't bother to make any way to sort your library by such attributes.
They've done the behind the scenes work, the fields exist and are filled out in the DB, they just need someone to slap some GUI elements into place so that end customers can access them.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 20:34.

16. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:23 nin

KTR wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:35:
Woot, was able to nab Sleeping Dogs this morning for $5.

That's a hell of a deal! Don't forget the texture pack!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:13 Dev

BTW, if anyone grabbed an extra copy of sleeping dogs on the accidental sale that they did that they want to sell, I'll pay $10 for it.  

14. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:08 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".
What are you talking about?

They don't have stockholders to impose any such thing on them, they are privately owned.

They have a flat management structure, so no managers, or VPs of marketing or anything like that pushing crap down from on high.

Pretty sure that none of the useless laws passed last year by the useless government said "ZOMG YOU CANT HAVE FUN SALES"

Who exactly were you envisioning would impose something like that on them?

However, they did just last year hire their first economist from what I recall. Maybe they were letting him have a go at running the sales.
This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 20:25.

13. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:05 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:32:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:21:
This is one of the worst seasonal sales that Valve has done. The vast majority of games had already been on sale; there was barely anything in the way of community participation; there were no updated games with special achievements; the achievements were possible to complete more than a week before the end of the sale (I've never been able to do that before); there were no new Steam features being promoted (inventory, etc).

I'm very surprised that Valve didn't making voting on Greenlight an achievement or add achievements to games that support Big Picture. It was a bog-standard sale - it wasn't a sale event, like Valve normally does.
As I've said before, I think its because it stopped being fun for valve employees to do those big events and became more work. So, they didn't do it this time around.

I'm not really sure if that is related to Valve. It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".

Anyway, it has been the most disappointing Steam sale in any aspect. Discounts have been weak, I could barely see a game reaching a price that hasn't been seen before. And then they constantly rotated the very same offers all the time, with some minor additions of course. And the "entertainment factor" was zero.

I think this was the very first time that I purchased more games on the PSN holiday sales (3) than on Steam (1).

12. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:01 Cyanotetyphas

Haha that Sleeping Dog mistake by Steam was probably their best sale all year.

Disappointed with the sale but glad it happened, because it gave amazon a chance to kick the crap out of them.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

11. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:47 Tom

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:05:
Thanks guys, I went ahead and used a fake US mailing address and all is going well!

Achievement: Fraud

10. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:35 KTR

Woot, was able to nab Sleeping Dogs this morning for $5.  

9. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:32 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:21:
This is one of the worst seasonal sales that Valve has done. The vast majority of games had already been on sale; there was barely anything in the way of community participation; there were no updated games with special achievements; the achievements were possible to complete more than a week before the end of the sale (I've never been able to do that before); there were no new Steam features being promoted (inventory, etc).

I'm very surprised that Valve didn't making voting on Greenlight an achievement or add achievements to games that support Big Picture. It was a bog-standard sale - it wasn't a sale event, like Valve normally does.
As I've said before, I think its because it stopped being fun for valve employees to do those big events and became more work. So, they didn't do it this time around.

8. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:21 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:05 Wallshadows

Thanks guys, I went ahead and used a fake US mailing address and all is going well!  

6. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 18:54 Dev

While they relisted a bunch, they delisted even more. The 1000+ non front page sale items that were supposed to go through the 5th, actually didn't. They delisted everything but the front page stuff this morning.

It pays to check sale timers I guess.

Protip valve:
If someone wants to see all sales items, maybe let them? You removed that ability from the front page for this sale. It costs you money when you put roadblocks in front of consumers wanting to browse.

5. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 18:39 Asmodai

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:07:
Assuming it's just a digital download, everyone claims you can put in whatever you want, as amazon doesn't xref the card with it's mailing address.

Good luck!

Yeah, I picked up LOTR:Lego from Amazon digital downloads for 7.50 by putting in some random address in the US, still had my Aus address as my one click preset with the card attached.

Because I use Mastercard, it's securecode verified anyway, I don't think Amazon really gives a shit as long as the bank is happy...

4. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 18:09 Rhino

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 16:55:
So in my search of finding XCOM for a decent price, my friend introduced me to dealzon.com and it pointed me to Amazon which was selling XCOM for 24.99 which may be as cheap as I will find it for some time.

Everything was going great until it asked me for my billing information. It says state/province/region next to the drop down option, but only states are available which immediately triggered the price is right fail horn seeing as how I am Canadian. Foiled by a drop down menu!

I was thinking I could use one of my US friend's address in place of mine but I don't think it'll work since it wouldn't be an address tied to my card so I might just take it for the Steam price.

We moved states side a few years back. This year we wanted to buy a play kitchen for the wee one: my father wanted to be the one to buy it. It wasn't a problem: it accepted his Canadian card and sent to our US address.

3. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 18:07 nin

Assuming it's just a digital download, everyone claims you can put in whatever you want, as amazon doesn't xref the card with it's mailing address.

Good luck!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 17:07 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 16:55:
So in my search of finding XCOM for a decent price, my friend introduced me to dealzon.com and it pointed me to Amazon which was selling XCOM for 24.99 which may be as cheap as I will find it for some time.

Everything was going great until it asked me for my billing information. It says state/province/region next to the drop down option, but only states are available which immediately triggered the price is right fail horn seeing as how I am Canadian. Foiled by a drop down menu!

I was thinking I could use one of my US friend's address in place of mine but I don't think it'll work since it wouldn't be an address tied to my card so I might just take it for the Steam price.

I remember hearing about a Seattle forwarding address that out of country people could use to send stuff through, but I don't know the details or if it costs anything.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

1. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 16:55 Wallshadows

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo