Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Sale Encore

The Steam Website now features the promised encore of the Steam 2012 Holiday Sale. They have relisted a bunch of game sales to run for the next 48 hours.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 6, 2013, 12:45 nin

DrSquick wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 12:23:
I know folks hate the Anno DRM, but I picked it up at the Summer Sale, and absolutely loved it! Sim games and base-building games are my favorite genre, and Anno fit perfectly. For some reason I couldn't get into the sandbox mode, but I played the story mode for 6+ hours a day for a good couple weeks...

I have friends that rave about it as well, but between that and the install limit, I think they don't really want me to buy it.

edit: And this thread was comedy gold!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 6, 2013, 12:23 DrSquick

I know folks hate the Anno DRM, but I picked it up at the Summer Sale, and absolutely loved it! Sim games and base-building games are my favorite genre, and Anno fit perfectly. For some reason I couldn't get into the sandbox mode, but I played the story mode for 6+ hours a day for a good couple weeks...  

36. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 6, 2013, 09:35 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:55:
Thats what got War Z approved, yeah. I don't think its going to be automatic anymore after that.
That game WASN'T by a major publisher and is completely irrelevant to this discussion. As I said, Valve isn't going to require major publishers to submit games though Greenlight - it would be very bad for relations with the major publishers.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 23:03 PHJF

Does Anno still have the old DRM or is it the new activation uPlay one in Far Cry 3?

It's closer to Sim City(2013).

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 22:33 Dades

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 22:17:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:29:
I was considering picking up anno 2070, but I think I'll wait for a further drop/GOTY edition with all the DLC packed in. Though dishonored for $29 is tempting.

Yeah, $10 is all I'm willing to part with for Anno.

Does Anno still have the old DRM or is it the new activation uPlay one in Far Cry 3?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

33. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 22:25 The Half Elf

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:51:
It doesn't matter what that page says, publisher games will be allowed onto the service without greenlight.

Thats what got War Z approved, yeah. I don't think its going to be automatic anymore after that.

War Z was approved because the developers had a game already on Steam and Steam (until War Z) allowed dev's to put other games up, doesn't hurt to go read Steam's response on War Z now does it?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 22:17 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:29:
I was considering picking up anno 2070, but I think I'll wait for a further drop/GOTY edition with all the DLC packed in. Though dishonored for $29 is tempting.

Yeah, $10 is all I'm willing to part with for Anno.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 22:02 Dev

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:57:
It doesn't matter what that page says, publisher games will be allowed onto the service without greenlight.

Think what you like but publishers will get their games approved without greenlight.

I think it likely they will have a separate process, yes, but I think valve will be changing the process and I don't think it will be automatic.

30. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:57 Sepharo

Isn't Greenlight more about getting usually already released games on Steam? Games with major publishers or well known developers are lined up for Steam long before Greenlight would make sense to use.  

29. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:57 Dades

Think what you like but publishers will get their games approved without greenlight.

28. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:55 Dev

27. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:51 Dades

26. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:43 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:38:
Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:18:
Valve has even publicly stated they now want ALL games to go through greenlight.
That's NEVER going to happen. Games from big publishers will always be automatically allowed

And yet, thats what this page says:
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

At the moment Steam is currently not accepting new game submissions as we transition to our new Steam Greenlight process.

25. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:38 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:18:
Valve has even publicly stated they now want ALL games to go through greenlight.
That's NEVER going to happen. Games from big publishers will always be automatically allowed, as Valve can't risk losing too many big publishers. EA has already left them and if Activision, Ubisoft and Take-Two followed suit then to pursue their own digital stores - which most publishes are running alongside Steam (Battle.net, UPlay) - then Steam will lose its significance in the market place. There's simply no point having people vote for games like Far Cry 3, Call Of Duty or Borderlands 2, as there's guaranteed huge demand for them. As for indie games, it makes sense for them to all go through Greenlight as any game that has demand will coast through and those that don't won't sell.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:18 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:09:
Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:59:

My personal dreams and the feedback I get on them have nothing to do with Valve and steam and their partners lol.
I don't think valve cares much about what the other parties who sell on steam think about the sales of other games that aren't owned by the people complaining. Remember that prices (including the sales prices) on steam are ultimately decided on by the publishers. If valve bowed easily to things like pressure from companies like EA, why would EA have started pulling titles over in game purchases?

Valve could survive just fine on their own games and on indie games. And they may well end up doing so, if all the other big companies start doing their own platforms like EA has done. We already know that EA hates big sales on their own IP, and feels it devalues the IP.

And the indie games WERE still spotlighted this year. There were indie games on the dailies, on the flash, and on non front page sales. There was even a big pack of indie games spotlighted on the front page.

See, it was quite obvious that you never made such business experiences. What you think about Valve caring or not caring is not relevant. Not to mention: Not a realistic view.

Of course Valve will listen to the feedback and suggestions of their most important partners. They need co-operation, especially with projects as the Steam Box around the corner.

And lastly, I didn't say that they demanded Steam to abandon Indies, they just reduced spotlighting them. I think it was 2 years ago when they had that crazy daily achievment hunting for game gifts (or coals)? The huge majority of those were related to indie games.

I'd bet that some huge publishers complained that this would shift too much attention on indie games and the result: they are gone.

Till you manage to offer a better explanation than "it stopped being fun", I'll consider my theory far more realistic and reasonable.

In a company with zero management structure, zero stockholders, and a reasonably secure future (even if that future is smaller), the motivations of doing things are just a little different than a typical company. And valve has already publicly said they do things because they are fun and interesting. Combine that with Gabe's publicly admitted obsession over employee health, and it explains pretty much everything that valve does. I usually take them at their word since in general they don't lie, and it all fits together. Why else would they literally have wheels on their desk where individual employees move their desk to whatever project they want to work on for however long they want to?
Have you bothered to read their employee handbook? Before you even get 20% through it tells you how to pick the projects to work on? Guess what it says? It says "Whatís interesting?"
It also has a page on moving your desk. It also says they discourage people working crunch time.

Here's an example. Greenlight. Why was that done? They basically admitted it in their statements and press releases about it, they are tired of doing the uninteresting work of approving games and would rather the community to do the work for them. Now, is it a good thing? Sure, I want to see additional interesting games that get a lot of votes, rather than arbitrary denials from valve to put games on steam. But that doesn't change valve's primary reason for doing so, they were tired of weeding through the drek. Valve has even publicly stated they now want ALL games to go through greenlight.

Same thing with the portal 2 level maker. It wasn't a joke when in the trailer they said they did it so the community could do the work of making levels and testing them for them so they wouldn't have to.

About the past sales, the game gift thing probably didn't come back because it was crazily exploited. They literally ran through all the gifts they had to give out, even the valve ones.

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:09:
Edit: Oh and before you repeat that stuff about missing stockholders, flat management and doing only fun projects. All that this means is that they can enjoy the freedom to do whatever kind of projects they want and approach those however it pleases them. Internally.

Once when they get out into the big world and need partners to make their shiny ideas a success, they will sooner or later have to do compromises. Everyone does.
Again, why?

Valve is still small enough employee wise that they could operate on just their own income and indie sales income. And likely they could work on just income from their own games. TF2 alone probably brings in more than any other IP right now, and likely enough to survive as a company. They have conversion rates way higher than the industry average. They could go from making super insane crazy higher than google profit per employee to just making a good profit per employee. If it came down to employee stress, because of his obsession, Gabe would do it. He's changed the entire direction of the company multiple times JUST to reduce stress on employees.
Their employee handbook mentions pleasing customers and if you find yourself working long hours to stop doing so. It does NOT mention pleasing partners.

They are pretty much one of the most independent companies around. They own their own IP. They don't need any publishers. They aren't beholden to outside investors. They really don't have much need to rely on anyone else. They have higher priorities than increasing profits, unlike most companies.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 21:54.

23. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:09 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:59:

My personal dreams and the feedback I get on them have nothing to do with Valve and steam and their partners lol.
I don't think valve cares much about what the other parties who sell on steam think about the sales of other games that aren't owned by the people complaining. Remember that prices (including the sales prices) on steam are ultimately decided on by the publishers. If valve bowed easily to things like pressure from companies like EA, why would EA have started pulling titles over in game purchases?

Valve could survive just fine on their own games and on indie games. And they may well end up doing so, if all the other big companies start doing their own platforms like EA has done. We already know that EA hates big sales on their own IP, and feels it devalues the IP.

And the indie games WERE still spotlighted this year. There were indie games on the dailies, on the flash, and on non front page sales. There was even a big pack of indie games spotlighted on the front page.

See, it was quite obvious that you never made such business experiences. What you think about Valve caring or not caring is not relevant. Not to mention: Not a realistic view.

Of course Valve will listen to the feedback and suggestions of their most important partners. They need co-operation, especially with projects as the Steam Box around the corner.

And lastly, I didn't say that they demanded Steam to abandon Indies, they just reduced spotlighting them. I think it was 2 years ago when they had that crazy daily achievment hunting for game gifts (or coals)? The huge majority of those were related to indie games.

I'd bet that some huge publishers complained that this would shift too much attention on indie games and the result: they are gone.

Till you manage to offer a better explanation than "it stopped being fun", I'll consider my theory far more realistic and reasonable.

Edit: Oh and before you repeat that stuff about missing stockholders, flat management and doing only fun projects. All that this means is that they can enjoy the freedom to do whatever kind of projects they want and approach those however it pleases them. Internally.

Once when they get out into the big world and need partners to make their shiny ideas a success, they will sooner or later have to do compromises. Everyone does.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 21:22.

22. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 21:06 jdreyer

I agree with Dev. I wish they had rotated more stuff on the front page. They could have had a custom widget that suggested stuff to me based on my sales history. Instead I had to go hunting thru literally hundreds of titles.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:59 Dev

Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:44:
Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:08:
Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".
What are you talking about?

They don't have stockholders to impose any such thing on them, they are privately owned.

They have a flat management structure, so no managers, or VPs of marketing or anything like that pushing crap down from on high.

Pretty sure that none of the useless laws passed last year by the useless government said "ZOMG YOU CANT HAVE FUN SALES"

Who exactly were you envisioning would impose something like that on them?

However, they did just last year hire their first economist from what I recall. Maybe they were letting him have a go at running the sales.

They don't have stockholders, true. But they have huge business partners. Maybe you could always realize your dreams without caring about any feedback from others, but trust me that not everyone is that lucky.
If business partners, on which you depend, express certain expectations, you'll sooner or later will have to reach an agreement. Also known as a compromise.

Maybe one the big ones didn't like all that spotlighting of indie titles in the holiday events 2 years ago?
At least that sounds far more reasonable to me than the simple "it stopped being fun".

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 21:14.

20. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:44 Golwar

Dev wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:08:
Golwar wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:05:
It could also be a general business requirement to become "more serious".
What are you talking about?

They don't have stockholders to impose any such thing on them, they are privately owned.

They have a flat management structure, so no managers, or VPs of marketing or anything like that pushing crap down from on high.

Pretty sure that none of the useless laws passed last year by the useless government said "ZOMG YOU CANT HAVE FUN SALES"

Who exactly were you envisioning would impose something like that on them?

However, they did just last year hire their first economist from what I recall. Maybe they were letting him have a go at running the sales.

They don't have stockholders, true. But they have huge business partners. Maybe you could always realize your dreams without caring about any feedback from others, but trust me that not everyone is that lucky.
If business partners, on which you depend, express certain expectations, you'll sooner or later will have to reach an agreement. Also known as a compromise.

Maybe one the big ones didn't like all that spotlighting of indie titles in the holiday events 2 years ago?
At least that sounds far more reasonable to me than the simple "it stopped being fun".

19. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 20:33 w00tie

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:05:
Thanks guys, I went ahead and used a fake US mailing address and all is going well!

This is a good resource to have for situations like this: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291534

Also, another great resource to get around the insane markup we pay compared to Americans: http://www.myus.com/

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo