Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Firefly Universe Online

The Firefly Universe Online Facebook Page has word that this MMOG based on the cult sci-fi series has resumed development with the blessings of Fox Entertainment. They say to expect a Kickstarter campaign to support the project. Thanks Massively.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 14:52 Sleep

Interesting kotaku article reckons the whole thing is a yes men ploy to show up kickstarter. Even if it isnt i think this thing just got screwed. In fact i would guess that it wasnt because the dev has previously been collecting contributions to fund development, and that would be illegal if the whole things a wind up. Still, interestin to see where this goes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 12:55 Parallax Abstraction

Someone already tried to make an MMO out of this. They went under before it was released. I love Firefly to death but I just don't see how an MMO with any kind of appeal would work with that.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

22. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 11:08 Panickd

ViRGE wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:32:
Panickd wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:06:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:53:
I wonder how much money changed hands? I expect they want a cut of the IP they killed a decade ago in their infinite wisdom.

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

Given that Joss Whedon is now a mega director of the highest grossing movie out there I suspect Fox wants to keep from rocking that particular boat and since Whedon is a big supporter of his fans this was probably just a move to stay on his good side. I seriously doubt any money changed hands here seeing as this project doesn't have any to give. I wouldn't rule out Fox shaking them down in the highly unlikely event that this game turns out a winner though.
Except Disney owns Whedon, not Fox.

You do know the day of being a contract player in Hollywood is dead, right? That's why we have so many unions and guilds now. No studio in Hollywood owns anyone. Whedon is free to work with or not work with anyone he wants.

21. Nope. Jan 6, 2013, 08:58 Rain

Not interested.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

20. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 08:33 Sleep

Ill definitely back this. As someone who has already backed a project based on nostalgia and wanting to see it happen (elite), i see no reason not to do the same for firefly.

People seem to be confused here with the tv series and the universe. The tv series is never going to happen again unless its with different characters. But a space western universe using the same ip is entirely possible.

Ill see what the KS lays out, but im interested, and there seem to be plenty who are.

19. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 07:34 Prez

I would give anything for a reboot of the series with the same actors/actresses, but I couldn't be less interested in a MMO about it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 03:20 mag

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 00:13:
John wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 00:07:
Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 23:53:
At least with the kickstarter, we'll finally settle the question of "How many fans did this show really have?" once and for all.

Creston
We'll see.. I was a really big fan of the show, but I do not like MMOGs so I wouldn't back it. There are probably many others in that same boat.

Yup. Same here. I'd love to play a Telltale serial or a Bioware RPG set in the firefly universe tho.

Ditto. I think I'd tear my hair out if it were a Bioware RPG, but I'm sure there's some company out there that still knows how to make them.

17. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 03:13 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 02:31:
morena baccarin is fucking scalding hot. that's all i have to say on the matter.

"I'll be in my bunk."

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 02:31 1badmf

morena baccarin is fucking scalding hot. that's all i have to say on the matter.  

15. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 01:26 Trevellian

At least with the kickstarter, we'll finally settle the question of "How many fans did this show really have?" once and for all.

Creston

Not really, as I'm a huge fan of the show and don't want to see a shitty half assed MMO set in it's universe. It will settle absolutely nothing.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

14. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 00:13 jdreyer

John wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 00:07:

Creston
We'll see.. I was a really big fan of the show, but I do not like MMOGs so I wouldn't back it. There are probably many others in that same boat.

Yup. Same here. I'd love to play a Telltale serial or a Bioware RPG set in the firefly universe tho.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 6, 2013, 00:07 John

Creston

This space is available for rent

12. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 23:53 Creston

Creston

11. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 23:15 Wallshadows

I hope that those who donate like 25$ can get a Jayne Cobb hat or something neat. I'd probably open my wallet and shake all the money out of it if that was the case even if the game itself ends up being 'meh'.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

10. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 22:07 commonperson

It all looks really sketchy to me. I hope it's good but it all seemed bush league amateur hour in the press before it went off the radar. That being said they are clearly fans I'm just going to need to see a lot more than the rather cheesy trailer that they had on their page before I toss in my money.  

9. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 20:32 ViRGE

Panickd wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:06:
I wonder how much money changed hands? I expect they want a cut of the IP they killed a decade ago in their infinite wisdom.

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

Given that Joss Whedon is now a mega director of the highest grossing movie out there I suspect Fox wants to keep from rocking that particular boat and since Whedon is a big supporter of his fans this was probably just a move to stay on his good side. I seriously doubt any money changed hands here seeing as this project doesn't have any to give. I wouldn't rule out Fox shaking them down in the highly unlikely event that this game turns out a winner though.
Except Disney owns Whedon, not Fox.

8. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 19:50 Pete

I doubt they can do the show justice so I hope this doesn't see the light of day.  
Doin' it Big

7. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 19:06 Panickd

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

6. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 18:53 Mikus_Aurelius

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

5. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 18:32 Stimpack

This sounds fantastic in my head. That's probably where it'll stay, though. =/  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo