Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bond Games MIA

007 Legends can no longer be found for sale online from Steam or the Activision Download Store, and previous James Bond games 007 Blood Stone and Quantum of Solace. VG247 contacted Activision for comment for some time ago, but no statement about this mystery has been released. Thanks Neogamr.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 6, 2013, 02:36 Beamer

nin wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 13:02:
Anonymous wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 08:58:
I just want to take a moment to just say how fucking awesome Goldeneye 64 was.

I remember when that game came out. I was in Junior High. Of course all the missions were cool but let's not forget how damned fun it was to shoot people up.

This was the first game I am aware of with visible damage (blood).

Goldeneye was so fucking awesome. And it pisses me off when people judge it by modern standards.

You can't do that! This game was a pioneer in so many different ways! Modern games owe so much to Goldeneye!

It was an awesome game hands down. One of the best first person shooters ever made in the history of videogames!!!!!!!!!!

Objective based missions, visible damage, decals pock marks smoke effects, best looking explosions.... There is a longer list than that I just can't remember anymore!!!

While this post is filled with tons of nostalgia, as someone who played a lot of Goldeneye myself, I agree completely. It was a damn fun SP game, and when you got into multi, it was an absolute riot.

It saddens me rare/MS/activision/nintendo/whoever owns the bond property couldn't come to some sort of agreement that would have allowed the rom to be released on current gen systems (perhaps with a slight graphical overhaul that preserved the core gameplay), as there's a whole generation of folks that have no idea what they missed.

Oh, and location based damage (notably crotch shots, where the NPC would react to being shot there). I'm not saying it was the first, but it was one of the earlier ones.

Perfect Dark was better. Had everything that made Goldeneye good, but also had bots, detailed stats, more entertaining weapons, team options, multiple teams, multiple modes, etc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 14:15 Creston

Sounds like a combo pack (for 60 bucks, undoubtedly) is on the horizon.

Creston

18. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 13:02 nin

Anonymous wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 08:58:

I remember when that game came out. I was in Junior High. Of course all the missions were cool but let's not forget how damned fun it was to shoot people up.

Goldeneye was so fucking awesome. And it pisses me off when people judge it by modern standards.

You can't do that! This game was a pioneer in so many different ways! Modern games owe so much to Goldeneye!

It was an awesome game hands down. One of the best first person shooters ever made in the history of videogames!!!!!!!!!!

Objective based missions, visible damage, decals pock marks smoke effects, best looking explosions.... There is a longer list than that I just can't remember anymore!!!

While this post is filled with tons of nostalgia, as someone who played a lot of Goldeneye myself, I agree completely. It was a damn fun SP game, and when you got into multi, it was an absolute riot.

It saddens me rare/MS/activision/nintendo/whoever owns the bond property couldn't come to some sort of agreement that would have allowed the rom to be released on current gen systems (perhaps with a slight graphical overhaul that preserved the core gameplay), as there's a whole generation of folks that have no idea what they missed.

Oh, and location based damage (notably crotch shots, where the NPC would react to being shot there). I'm not saying it was the first, but it was one of the earlier ones.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 08:58 Lit_Reflex001

16. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 06:43 Dev

If ubisoft pulls their always online crapified games from steam and puts them into something else, they will turn from a "buy at less than $5 and maybe not even then", into a "HAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA, yeah, no" for me.  

15. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 03:37 Asmodai

*shrug* They should take a page from Sony who offer direct downloads via their SOE store or via Steam. Admittedly, SOE titles are mostly F2P, but the exposure of that many extra customers who may never have even heard of EQ (I guess it's possible =) can only be a good thing.  

14. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 02:37 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 00:04:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 00:01:
Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 22:28:
Overon wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 21:59:
Activision is coming out with their own steam like store like Origin by EA. :0

And what'll it carry? Cod and WoW?

Anyway, I've always wanted to see a good Bond game - never played Goldeneye. Was it like NOLF? Skyfall would make a brilliant game.

But if you take WoW and CoD alone your looking at over 12 million users...

Yes, for one time purchases. Would it be worth all the infrastructure for that?

Any new release, plus the yearly CoD Releases, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 expansions, and WoW and Titan related games and/or expansions. Valve started Steam with Half Life 2.

If Activision threw some CoD and WoW money to make a REALLY solid system like Steam then yes the money would be flowing in

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 02:16 KilrathiAce

Quoting from steam forums:

from 2013 activision is moving away from steam and even their own activision download store and will only sell digital versions via bnet. this move will take a while. yes, some games will still use steamworks, but that doesn't matter. ubisoft intends to migrate in late 2013 to uplay. all this is discussed in sec filings and company agm notes, available to stockholders or savvy researchers. this is nothing new. there were plenty of previous discussions on the web about how all the major players would prefer their own distribution network. this is reality. the fragmentation and consolidation of the dd eco system

All major players will try to sell games on their own stores, however indie devs still should find steam to offer great choice, I still think steamworks itself offers best incentive especially for devs that used to use gamespy and now looking for new game matching service or master server services.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

12. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 02:11 KilrathiAce

Makes no sense because why would they pull it from their own activision download store.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 01:58 kibbled

Blizzard already has the infrastructure with battlenet. To re-download all my blizzard games I just have to go to my battlenet account.  

10. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 00:04 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 00:01:

Anyway, I've always wanted to see a good Bond game - never played Goldeneye. Was it like NOLF? Skyfall would make a brilliant game.

Yes, for one time purchases. Would it be worth all the infrastructure for that?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 00:01 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 5, 2013, 00:00 netnerd85

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 20:09:
Goldeneye is the only good Bond game.
Goldeneye N64 you mean.

I have the Wii copy too, it's pretty fun MP but the SP was ruined big time.

7. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 23:28 Sepharo

That's it's single player history.

As far as multiplayer goes it was the Halo of its time; it brought console gamers a pc-like 4 player deathmatch.

6. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 22:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Anyway, I've always wanted to see a good Bond game - never played Goldeneye. Was it like NOLF?

There were some definite similarities. Goldeneye's big thing was that it was objective driven rather than "find the exit" driven. Now, often times your last objective was to exit the level, but prior to that you would explore relatively non-linear levels to find key items, blow up certain things, kill/talk to key NPCs, etc. The difficulty levels were also quite interesting in that difficulty not only affected the number of enemies in the level, but also what objectives you had to complete, what doors were initially locked, etc. Now that said, there was only one level that involved anything approximating stealth, the environments were pretty non-interactive and didn't fell terribly alive, and there wasn't nearly the focus on gadgetry that NOLF had, so in that respect the games are quite different, but at the least you can see some influence of Goldeneye upon NOLF.

At any rate, I haven't played Goldeneye in over 12 years, so I have no idea if it still holds up, but at the time it was a pretty solid shooter.

5. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 22:28 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 22:10 nin

Blizzard has hinted at b.net 3rd party for awhile. I'm surprised they don't have it up and running yet.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 21:59 Overon

2. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 21:00 Dev

Likely a licensing issue. It usually is.  

1. Re: Bond Games MIA Jan 4, 2013, 20:09 jacobvandy

Goldeneye is the only good Bond game.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo