Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Reason.com - 38 Studios: Curt Schilling's Crony Capitalism Debacle.
Former Gov. Carcieri hoped 38 Studios would be the cornerstone of a new video game tech hub in Rhode Island. Instead, the fallout from the collapse and squandered taxpayer dollars will make the state unlikely to cut any more of what WPRI's Ted Nesi describes as "special, one-off deals with individual companies...picked by a certain group of people in state government."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 17:01 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 10:58:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 04:18:
I read cases about welfare fraud all the time, it's higher than 2% I've no doubt. Not only that but I've known people on welfare personally who shouldn't have qualified to get it. As for PBS and NPR you have to start somewhere, why is government funding tv and radio stations anyway, with my tax dollars?

This is called denial, you think you know more than the people administrating the programs and think that it matters in any way compared to the larger deficit picture. Government funds the arts because it has a positive effect on our society as a whole and helps people who could not otherwise get assistance. The reason it funds practically anything else including infrastructure.

The Dept of Education is a joke, and an utter failure, we're falling behind in things like Math and Science because public schools are all about indoctrination at this point rather than actually teaching kids a god damn thing. I work for a local town in IT, I've spent a ton of time in and around the public school system, public schools at this point are essentially a festering pool of liberal agenda politics and not much else regardless if you're in a blue state or a red state.

Nevermind, I can see you are not worth debating with. Liberal indoctrination, yeah ok crazy person, you sure know what's going on in the world and are worth listening to.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

After you spend some time in a public school, and really it doesn't matter the grade level. Come back and talk to me. When teachers are more focused on making sure a student would vote for Obama rather than teach them something, there's a problem there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 10:58 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 04:18:
I read cases about welfare fraud all the time, it's higher than 2% I've no doubt. Not only that but I've known people on welfare personally who shouldn't have qualified to get it. As for PBS and NPR you have to start somewhere, why is government funding tv and radio stations anyway, with my tax dollars?

This is called denial, you think you know more than the people administrating the programs and think that it matters in any way compared to the larger deficit picture. Government funds the arts because it has a positive effect on our society as a whole and helps people who could not otherwise get assistance. The reason it funds practically anything else including infrastructure.

The Dept of Education is a joke, and an utter failure, we're falling behind in things like Math and Science because public schools are all about indoctrination at this point rather than actually teaching kids a god damn thing. I work for a local town in IT, I've spent a ton of time in and around the public school system, public schools at this point are essentially a festering pool of liberal agenda politics and not much else regardless if you're in a blue state or a red state.

Nevermind, I can see you are not worth debating with. Liberal indoctrination, yeah ok crazy person, you sure know what's going on in the world and are worth listening to.

41. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 04:18 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 01:47:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 00:38:
Oh boy. Yes, all our debt is due to corporations. Yep. mmm hmm sure.
It couldn't be from all those folks who game the welfare system and don't pay back into the very system they're robbing from.

Stop getting your politics from television. Welfare fraud is not a multi trillion dollar problem. It's barely even a billion dollar problem. Less than 2% of all annual payouts (2% of 131.8 billion in 2012) according to the US Department of Labor. Yes the corporations are doing infinitely more damage than your randomly grabbed excuse. Welfare fraud, PBS and NPR are nothing and not even worth mentioning in a serious discussion about a 15 trillion dollar deficit. You don't cut education when we're starting to fall behind in critical areas like mathematics and you don't cut meaningless shit like NPR. You stop fighting expensive wars for awhile and you bring tax revenues up to parity with the rest of the world to start.

There will always be waste in government just like there is in the corporate world, it is a product of human society. Much of the waste in government these days is due to corporations anyway, how many stories of overvalued third party contracts have we all heard? Corporations and government are so inherently married at this point that they might as well be one and the same. Of course everyone wants to cut unnecessary things but just cutting will not solve the problems that lead up to this, there is an inherent revenue deficiency due to a high standard of living and low tax rates.

I read cases about welfare fraud all the time, it's higher than 2% I've no doubt. Not only that but I've known people on welfare personally who shouldn't have qualified to get it.

As for PBS and NPR you have to start somewhere, why is government funding tv and radio stations anyway, with my tax dollars?

I already mentioned streamlining and cuts when it comes to the military, but it's going to take far more than that to right the ship so to speak. Sure it sucks but we need to at least make some sort of effort, and I don't see much an effort at all from either party. I'm sorry but realistically some social programs would have to go, that's just the reality of it if we actually want to seriously dent the debt we're in.

I will say one thing however, the whole blame the rich, blame the corporations bullshit isn't helping anyone in this country because it's simply not accurate. I'm also tired of hearing about Clinton's magical surplus, we never had a surplus of anything, we were in debt during the Clinton years as well, having a budget doesn't equate a surplus.

Speaking of budgets btw, perhaps this will be the year Obama finally manages to get one passed. He's certainly failed miserably at that the last 4 years.

40. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 01:47 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 6, 2013, 00:38:
It couldn't be from all those folks who game the welfare system and don't pay back into the very system they're robbing from.

Stop getting your politics from television. Welfare fraud is not a multi trillion dollar problem. It's barely even a billion dollar problem. Less than 2% of all annual payouts (2% of 131.8 billion in 2012) according to the US Department of Labor. Yes the corporations are doing infinitely more damage than your randomly grabbed excuse. Welfare fraud, PBS and NPR are nothing and not even worth mentioning in a serious discussion about a 15 trillion dollar deficit. You don't cut education when we're starting to fall behind in critical areas like mathematics and you don't cut meaningless shit like NPR. You stop fighting expensive wars for awhile and you bring tax revenues up to parity with the rest of the world to start.

There will always be waste in government just like there is in the corporate world, it is a product of human society. Much of the waste in government these days is due to corporations anyway, how many stories of overvalued third party contracts have we all heard? Corporations and government are so inherently married at this point that they might as well be one and the same. Of course everyone wants to cut unnecessary things but just cutting will not solve the problems that lead up to this, there is an inherent revenue deficiency due to a high standard of living and low tax rates.

39. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2013, 00:38 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 22:35:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 22:31:
I say it all the time Dades, being personally responsible will get you farther in life than expecting the government to hand you a life. That should be basic fucking common sense.

It's a good thing no one said the government should hand anyone a life then. Who said I'm a liberal? Assumptions, assumptions. Personal responsibility is some parenting level shit and just common sense. Democrats don't run on a platform of smaller government, Republicans do. Their failure is much larger in that context as government never seems to shrink in their stead despite it being a principle of the party. Size of government isn't even the problem, US citizens pay far less taxes than other countries but americans want a quality of life that exceeds those countries while continually paying less. Reducing the size of government will only make that worse. 15 trillion in debt did not come about because of health care or arts funding, it was wars you couldn't afford, the thousands of big corps that are paying a few million in taxes on revenues in the fucking billions through offshore tax loopholes, two decades of broken trickle down economics and deficient tax revenues.

I'm all for raising taxes and fixing loopholes at the same time, but on that same token, cut spending on all the bloated programs we have, start with the Department of Education and things like headstart that flat out don't work. Cut military spending and pull all our guys out of places like Japan who have been there since the end of WW2. Cut shit like PBS and NPR, make corporate lobbying illegal.

Dades if it acts like a liberal and talks like a liberal, it's prolly a liberal. I've been called everything from a "teabagger" to a libertarian, Personally, I just consider myself fiscally conservative and not much else beyond that.

Raising taxes is all well and good, but not if it's going to empower Obama, the dems, or republicans just to spend more without any cuts.

And better to start doing it now before we're bankrupt, because we're approaching that pretty fucking quickly.

38. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 22:35 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 22:31:
I say it all the time Dades, being personally responsible will get you farther in life than expecting the government to hand you a life. That should be basic fucking common sense.

It's a good thing no one said the government should hand anyone a life then. Who said I'm a liberal? Assumptions, assumptions. Personal responsibility is some parenting level shit and just common sense. Democrats don't run on a platform of smaller government, Republicans do. Their failure is much larger in that context as government never seems to shrink in their stead despite it being a principle of the party. Size of government isn't even the problem, US citizens pay far less taxes than other countries but americans want a quality of life that exceeds those countries while continually paying less. Reducing the size of government will only make that worse. 15 trillion in debt did not come about because of health care or arts funding, it was wars you couldn't afford, the thousands of big corps that are paying a few million in taxes on revenues in the fucking billions through offshore tax loopholes, two decades of broken trickle down economics and deficient tax revenues.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2013, 22:58.

37. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 22:31 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:27:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:25:
What I'm saying is the same thing I've always said, expecting government to hold your hand through life isn't going to happen.

No you didn't. Do you need us to quote it back to you? You said:

Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves. The Liberal answer? Make government bigger. Blows my fucking mind.

That's what you said. You did not say anything about personal responsibility or anything remotely insightful, just a stupid comment and some dumb rant about liberals. The other things came after I called you out on it.

Rather than one liner pot shots, why not try and actually debate anything actually in that post you quoted.

This coming from the guy who posted "Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves. The Liberal answer? Make government bigger. Blows my fucking mind.". Seriously.

I get it, you're fine with government spending 1000 dollars for a toilet seat. You're quite alright like most liberals with the fact that we spend more than we take in, because according to folks like Beamer, spending doesn't matter, we'll just print more!!! Hooray! And when the US dollar is worth zero due to inflation you folks will all scratch your heads as to what happened.

36. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 21:27 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:25:
What I'm saying is the same thing I've always said, expecting government to hold your hand through life isn't going to happen.

No you didn't. Do you need us to quote it back to you? You said:

Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves. The Liberal answer? Make government bigger. Blows my fucking mind.

That's what you said. You did not say anything about personal responsibility or anything remotely insightful, just a stupid comment and some dumb rant about liberals. The other things came after I called you out on it.

Rather than one liner pot shots, why not try and actually debate anything actually in that post you quoted.

This coming from the guy who posted "Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves. The Liberal answer? Make government bigger. Blows my fucking mind.". Seriously.

35. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 21:27 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 21:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 16:27:
How is it stupid? With all the wasteful spending, lack of progress on things like new energy resources (Thank you oil industry lobbyist), health care bills that will force the American citizens to pay more over all for health care. etc etc. Do I trust the government to provide for me when I retire? Or should I save towards that and be personally responsible? What would you do?

You know why its stupid. The government is not some nameless shadow company who is looking to bone you at every opportunity, government is created by and is of the people. Somehow I doubt you'll be sending them back the social security checks by the way.

It all comes down to personal responsibility at the end of the day and we don't teach that anymore, we teach liberal indoctrination and political correctness. Personally I like my constitutional rights thanks.

You mean the rights granted to you and protected by the government you just finished saying wasn't good for anything?

34. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 21:25 RollinThundr

Draugr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 20:29:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:54:
Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:02:
It's stupid because you said "never."

The government can certainly dispose of the waste from my house better than anything else.
Same with highways.

Libertarian absolutes are almost always incorrect, because they're absolutes.

That's what the government is best at and really what they're there for, basic infrastructure. It shouldn't be on the government to provide a life for you. You can do that on your own.

Which is why when they implemented medicare back in the 1965 everyone was enraged because the great job the private sector was doing was obviously going unnoticed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Percapita_costs.png

Here we have a chart that shows us that with medicare, the government has done a better job at controlling costs than private insurers (or by people themselves, as you'd put it.)

I'm not trying to argue medicare here -- I bring up the first point, because the private sector was unwilling to accommodate people, that's why the government stepped in to begin with - If people even had the option it 'by themselves' they would have. Next, I bring up the chart, because you insist the government sucks at everything (which you later revised to 'sucks at everything but infrastructure') When there are plenty of examples of around us that demonstrate empirically that this is not so. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that governments CAN be inefficient or wasteful, in a myriad of ways, but to pretend it is part of the definition of government is silly. If that were the case then it would apply to infrastructure too.

What I'm saying is the same thing I've always said, expecting government to hold your hand through life isn't going to happen. Being personally responsible, saving, investing whatever, is going to get you much further ahead than expecting government to not spend your social security or medicare or Obamacare on other shit.

You pay taxes for services, roads, infrastructure, police etc. There's also more waste in government than anywhere else, it's why we're 15 trillion in debt. You cannot survive as a nation at that rate, and the US won't as much as I hate to admit that.

We don't teach kids to believe in personal responsibility, and its flat out sad, instead kids now are coddled, handed a trophy just for showing up, and made to believe life is handed to them. That isn't how it works.

33. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 21:25 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 16:27:
How is it stupid? With all the wasteful spending, lack of progress on things like new energy resources (Thank you oil industry lobbyist), health care bills that will force the American citizens to pay more over all for health care. etc etc. Do I trust the government to provide for me when I retire? Or should I save towards that and be personally responsible? What would you do?

You know why its stupid. The government is not some nameless shadow company who is looking to bone you at every opportunity, government is created by and is of the people. Somehow I doubt you'll be sending them back the social security checks by the way.

It all comes down to personal responsibility at the end of the day and we don't teach that anymore, we teach liberal indoctrination and political correctness. Personally I like my constitutional rights thanks.

You mean the rights granted to you and protected by the government you just finished saying wasn't good for anything?

32. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 20:29 Draugr

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:54:

The government can certainly dispose of the waste from my house better than anything else.
Same with highways.

That's what the government is best at and really what they're there for, basic infrastructure. It shouldn't be on the government to provide a life for you. You can do that on your own.

Which is why when they implemented medicare back in the 1965 everyone was enraged because the great job the private sector was doing was obviously going unnoticed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Percapita_costs.png

Here we have a chart that shows us that with medicare, the government has done a better job at controlling costs than private insurers (or by people themselves, as you'd put it.)

I'm not trying to argue medicare here -- I bring up the first point, because the private sector was unwilling to accommodate people, that's why the government stepped in to begin with - If people even had the option it 'by themselves' they would have. Next, I bring up the chart, because you insist the government sucks at everything (which you later revised to 'sucks at everything but infrastructure') When there are plenty of examples of around us that demonstrate empirically that this is not so. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that governments CAN be inefficient or wasteful, in a myriad of ways, but to pretend it is part of the definition of government is silly. If that were the case then it would apply to infrastructure too.

31. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 18:54 RollinThundr

Same with highways.

30. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 18:02 Beamer

Same with highways.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 16:27 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 15:54:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 14:35:
Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves.

That's really stupid, of course it can, government is of the people. Last time I checked the republicans got into office as much as democrats and haven't done anything to shrink government. Keep blaming the liberals and sticking your head in the sand though, that approach is working out so well.

How is it stupid? With all the wasteful spending, lack of progress on things like new energy resources (Thank you oil industry lobbyist), health care bills that will force the American citizens to pay more over all for health care. etc etc.

Do I trust the government to provide for me when I retire? Or should I save towards that and be personally responsible? What would you do?

It's not blaming it all on liberals although you guys are high on the list of reasons things are where they are with people expecting the government to walk them through life holding their hand. Politicians on the whole, regardless of party have let the taxpayer down over and over. They care about the lobbyist however because that way their pockets get lined and if you think these guys, be they democrat or republican are making deals and bills to favor you, you're fucking insane.

It all comes down to personal responsibility at the end of the day and we don't teach that anymore, we teach liberal indoctrination and political correctness.

Honestly, I don't like either party in their current forms, I hate democrats just a bit more though because they have more of a habit of trying to tell you, the US Taxpayer and citizen how to live you life, what you can and can't eat, what's ok to say and what's not, and more importantly liberals have this insane habit of pissing on the Constitution while trying to convince everyone it's "outdated"

Personally I like my constitutional rights thanks.

28. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 15:54 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 14:35:
Government can never do anything better than one can do for themselves.

That's really stupid, of course it can, government is of the people. Last time I checked the republicans got into office as much as democrats and haven't done anything to shrink government. Keep blaming the liberals and sticking your head in the sand though, that approach is working out so well.

27. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2013, 14:35 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 13:00:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:45:
seriously... i doubt you really understand just how shitty the political system is

its not just "damn these guys are hypocrites".. there is a gargantuan mountain of heinously vile bullshit, makes this "debacle" look like a dropped ice cream cone

No one understands it better than I do. I just love calling out "small government - fuck everyone and everything else" assholes when the evil that is "socialism" is oh so necessary when it comes to those pigfuckers planting their snouts in the public trough for anything.

26. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 21:42 Orphic Resonance

1badmf wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 20:41:
the single greatest piece of wisdom i've ever come across is from plato who said that wisdom is knowing that you know nothing..

thats from socrates, mr badmf

too bad you didnt know that you didnt know this.. ironic huh?

plato was his student, but also a pretentious chump IMO... my fav was pythagoras, but diogenes is quite entertaining..

btw i doubt you've read "The Republic".. plato is a thieving asshole, much like hesiod

Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one `idea' of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.

"I can see the cup on the table," interupted Diogenes, "but I can't see the `cupness'".

"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect with which to comprehend `cupness'."

Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"

Plato nodded.

"Where is the `emptiness' which procedes this empty cup?" asked Diogenes.

Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the `emptiness'."

25. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 21:10 Sepharo

1badmf wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 20:41:
the single greatest piece of wisdom i've ever come across is from plato who said that wisdom is knowing that you know nothing.

That's one of my favorites too. Pairs well with the concept of "known unknowns and unknown unknowns" as made famous by Dick Cheney.

24. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 20:41 1badmf

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:24:

Actually it's funny you mention that because until recently I had no idea but after a political discussion at a party (an "old school" financial professor attended) I started doing my own research. I thought I was informed already but learned that my knowledge of things was rudimentary and slanted by misinformation.

this, singe-handedly, is the biggest problem with democracy - people who have no idea, and worse, think their opinion is the last word and don't know that they don't know!

the single greatest piece of wisdom i've ever come across is from plato who said that wisdom is knowing that you know nothing. far too many people get an idea in their heads, and whether through ego, insecurity, or ignorance, refuse to admit they could be wrong, and the end result is that buffoons like W and a whole host of moronic congressmen get elected.

i've always thought those get out the vote ads were disingenuous because their is something worse than not voting - a misinformed vote.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo