Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Last week concluded the NFL regular season, I'm sad to say the Giants will be home watching the playoffs on TV with the rest of us. Here are our week 17 results: Blue 14-2, Mag 13-3 (fixed, sorry), Batman 12-4 (also fixed, and I'm assuming Batman's second pick of the Texans was the Titans), Creston 11-5, Verno and Jivaro 10-6, and Cutter 7-9. Extra props to Batman as the only prognosticator who saw the Bucs beating the Falcons in Atlanta.

I'm running a little behind to tally the regular season results right now, so for the meantime, here are my playoff picks. As much as I've been trying to convince myself this is a terrible idea, I'm going to pick the visiting team in each game.

Visiting Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Snoring 2: Winter Edition.
Snake Squad.
Links: THE LEGO STAR WARS ORGAN. Boggling. Thanks nin via Dubious Quality.
Stories: George Lucas, Mellody Hobson Engaged. Thanks nin.
Science: Big Space: There are at least 100 billion planets in our galaxy alone.
This Robot Vomits So You Won't Have To. Thanks HARDOCP.
Finding the neuron that makes your sweater itch.
Media: The Imperial Recruiter.
All the ColecoVision Games in Fifteen Minutes.
The Many D'ohs of Homer Simpson.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2013, 14:13 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 03:03:
Just got back from seeing Hobbit. I was really skeptical about the 48fps thing and in the beginning some parts looked weird. But by the middle all the way to the end I was sold. The level of detail it affords is astounding, the 3D felt so natural in some parts that my previous misgivings about the glasses were gone. Combined with some fantastic CG (seriously how amazing was Gollum's animation) and a fun story even with the padding my ticket for the next movie is guaranteed.

I was supposed to go see this today, but my wife and kids wanted to see Rise of the Guardians instead. ; ;

Still, that gives me 2 hours to play GW2 I guess...

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2013, 12:51 nin

(seriously how amazing was Gollum's animation)

I remember thinking the same thing. The previous gollum still looks great, but the new one seemed to capture even more of Andy's performance (something I didn't think possible).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2013, 03:03 NegaDeath

Just got back from seeing Hobbit. I was really skeptical about the 48fps thing and in the beginning some parts looked weird. But by the middle all the way to the end I was sold. The level of detail it affords is astounding, the 3D felt so natural in some parts that my previous misgivings about the glasses were gone. Combined with some fantastic CG (seriously how amazing was Gollum's animation) and a fun story even with the padding my ticket for the next movie is guaranteed.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2013, 00:07 The Half Elf

But didn't Jackson originally say he was NOT going to do the Hobbit, and had no interest in doing it (went on to make King Kong), and offered to help on The Hobbit until a few other directors bail on it?

I already gave the man 3 plus 3 plus 3 plus seeing The Two Towers Twice... um like half a day of my life in theaters (not including at home), 9 more hours isn't that bad for a quality movie run.

I still can't get my Jar Jar hours back...

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 23:36 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 19:22:
this one has all the hallmarks of a cashgrab to me.

They spent gobs of cash and years of work on this, so I'd hardly say it's a cash grab. They've not even made half their money production costs back, and that doesn't include P & A. And the production values are top notch, so it's obvious they cared.

The main issue is that PJ has caught Lucasyndrome, and no one wants to tell him "No" any more: Not his producers, his gf/writer/partner, his investors, etc. Just like Lucas with the new Trilogy, the movies weren't cut where they should have been (both pre and post), and without the stronger influence of others, not emotionally resonant where they should have been. It's not nearly as bad as the new Star Wars trilogy, but it's not close to being as good as the LoTR trilogy movies either.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 19:22 1badmf

hobbit was a joke, primarily because it's never going to be as good as the 1977 animated film; perfect pacing, fantastic, otherworldly character design and animation, and an unforgettable smaug.

this one has all the hallmarks of a cashgrab to me. in particular: the completely fabricated part with radagast. not only was he not in the book, but the part where he went and explored dol guldur was done by gandalf in the extended fiction.

cate blanchette does make a dreamy elf queen though. we wouldn't need any fairy forests for her to find wood with me around XD

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 18:47 Jivaro

Cincy, Indy, Washington, Green Bay

I am going with the teams that have the momentum in the AFC and the teams with home field advantage in the NFC. Random logic used for no real reason because historically I find the playoffs to work out exactly the opposite of how I predict them to. For whatever reason I do great at picking regular season games but I suck when it comes to the playoffs.

That said, I am hoping for a 49er vs. Patriots Super Bowl. I am a 49er fan and my wife, being a Rhode Island native, is a Patriots diehard. Would make for a great setting during our yearly Super Bowl party.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 17:29 Cutter

Hey, I signed up for the Defiance beta with my Trion account yesterday and just got a full alpha invite today. Anyone else?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 16:42 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:26:
Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:23:
I liked it a lot except for some of the early pacing. I think once they got out of the Shire the pace of the movie started to pick up.

Yeah, theat seems to be the general sentiment. PJ is definitely padding it. I t was dumb to stretch it to three when they could have easily done it in one, two at the most.

I agree that 3 movies is too much. Too much extra stuff was added in (although i enjoyed Thorins origin story). it detracts from the central adventure. Also the action is a bit too cartoony IMO. I am a huge fan of the original trilogy. But most of the action there was among human actors, not CG. This movie is the opposite with most of the action involving cg creations.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 15:26 Cutter

Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:23:
I liked it a lot except for some of the early pacing. I think once they got out of the Shire the pace of the movie started to pick up.

Yeah, theat seems to be the general sentiment. PJ is definitely padding it. I t was dumb to stretch it to three when they could have easily done it in one, two at the most.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 15:23 Shok

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 13:51 nin

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 13:31:
Sleepy Dogs on Steam for $17...and sold! I better enjoy this nin!

And speaking of nin. I caught the Harbit yesterday and it was ok. Definitely not LOTR good but I suspect the next 2 flicks will be better. Anyway, for some reason I kept picturing nin all snuggled into his seat in the theater eating his popcorn and sipping his coke and tittering like a school boy as he watched it.

I thought about catching it again this weekend, actually!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 13:31 Cutter

Sleepy Dogs on Steam for $17...and sold! I better enjoy this nin!

And speaking of nin. I caught the Harbit yesterday and it was ok. Definitely not LOTR good but I suspect the next 2 flicks will be better. Anyway, for some reason I kept picturing nin all snuggled into his seat in the theater eating his popcorn and sipping his coke and tittering like a school boy as he watched it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 13:14  Blue 

dardin wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:12:
I think it's time for the Giants to look at replacing some of their defensive coaching staff. The defense finished the season 2nd worse in the NFL. With the talent they have on this team there is really no excuse for it. They had some injuries but so did every other team. I think Fewell and some of his staff needs to go if they can find good replacements.

In spite of the defense's fine run in the playoffs last year, I have a hard time disagreeing. Their approach seemed influenced by believing the hype that the front four could consistently get home without blitzes to the point where it took all season to realize this wasn't true. They blitzed the snot out of Vick in game 16 with obvious success, and I wish they'd gotten more aggressive sooner. Maybe it's time to bring Spags back?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 Verno

mag wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:15:
Bengals, Packers, Colts, Seahawks.

Also, I may be going crazy, but I'm counting 13-3 for myself, last week.

Mags picks week 17: Falcons, Bills, Bengals, Steelers, Bears, Titans, Giants, Saints, Colts, Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos, Chargers, 49ers, ...Redskins

Yeah you were 13-3 last week.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 12:15 mag

Bengals, Packers, Colts, Seahawks.

Also, I may be going crazy, but I'm counting 13-3 for myself, last week.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 12:04 Rigs

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:44:
Picks: Texans, Packers, Redskins and Colts.

Only going with the one road upset here. I'm a bit torn about the Seahawks game, but they're just not that impressive on the road. The other two should, quite frankly, be gimmes for the home team.

I guess I'm joining Creston on his quest to destroy the rin...I mean, in picks for this week, since I sat out last week to recover from that awful nightmare the week previous...Texans, Packers, Colts, Redskins

While I see nfl.com shows the Seahawks having a larger lead in public opinion (at least according to them anyway), I just always have a hard time taking anything seriously when it involves the Seahawks, sorry... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 11:44 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:20:
Also THE JETS, oh wa..

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAA! :-schadenfreude-:

Picks: Texans, Packers, Redskins and Colts.

Only going with the one road upset here. I'm a bit torn about the Seahawks game, but they're just not that impressive on the road. The other two should, quite frankly, be gimmes for the home team.

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 11:25 Cutter

I decided to take some obvious risks last week and we see the obvious results.

Bengals, Packers, Colts, Redskins.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2013, 11:12 dardin

I think it's time for the Giants to look at replacing some of their defensive coaching staff. The defense finished the season 2nd worse in the NFL. With the talent they have on this team there is really no excuse for it. They had some injuries but so did every other team. I think Fewell and some of his staff needs to go if they can find good replacements.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo