Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Bans

Massively has word on permanent bans that have been handed out in Guild Wars 2 for users taking advantage of a way of exploiting snowflakes during their Wintersday event. They point to the Guild Wars 2 Forum and Reddit for details on this, but we can only find the relevant post on the latter, while VG247 points the way to this post with more on the topic. In the post on the GW2 Forum there is also a promise of a long-term roadmap for ArenaNet's MMORPG. Here's what they are saying for now:

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 23:21 Warskull

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:29:
An exploit is just a cheat that isn't detected until somebody reports it. People who get banned for exploiting aren't your average player who might stumble across something like that, benefit from it, and then think "WTF?" and maybe try to do it again once or twice... You have assholes who will figure something like that out, or hear about it from their asshole buddies, then spend EVERY WAKING MOMENT abusing it to their gain, knowing full well it could be reported and fixed at any moment.

Exploits are in the game, part of the game, they are due to developer error. Cheating is more using something outside the game like a hack to gain an advantage.

The nanny culture of MMOs is detrimental to the games themselves, particularly the PvP environment. There are tons of things the interact in ways even the developers did not necessarily expect.

For the more extreme levels of economic damage, the developer should have tools to limit and repair the damage. The reason the did all the banning early on is because they lacked these tools and had no other way to manage it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 23:21 Gas Bandit

There's exploits, and then there's exploits. I remember getting warnings in Everquest for "exploitation" when I found a place to stand that their piss-poor mob AI couldn't path to. That was bogus, a company using anti-cheating rhetoric to force their playerbase to pretend their game isn't a bug-riddled nightmare. This, however, I'm not so sure is in the same ballpark.  

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 23:18 briktal

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:29:
An exploit is just a cheat that isn't detected until somebody reports it. People who get banned for exploiting aren't your average player who might stumble across something like that, benefit from it, and then think "WTF?" and maybe try to do it again once or twice... You have assholes who will figure something like that out, or hear about it from their asshole buddies, then spend EVERY WAKING MOMENT abusing it to their gain, knowing full well it could be reported and fixed at any moment.

IIRC, the first big one had to do with an error in pricing for karma vendor items, and allowed several hundred people to accrue hundreds or even THOUSANDS of gold (not copper, not silver, but gold pieces) within the span of a day or two. You can imagine what sort of damage people can (and did, to an extent) do to the economy with that kind of immensely disproportionate wealth... Once the devs find out about it, they just hope they aren't caught, or that they decide to do a rollback/correction instead of ban. By that time, though, they may have spent a boatload of it or divvied it out to the degree where it would be too costly in man-hours to figure out how to fully eradicate the virtual equivalent of counterfeit currency.

I'm very glad Anet takes such a rigid stance on that kind of bullshit.

The problem is, a lot of the community doesn't even consider this an exploit.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 21:29 jacobvandy

IIRC, the first big one had to do with an error in pricing for karma vendor items, and allowed several hundred people to accrue hundreds or even THOUSANDS of gold (not copper, not silver, but gold pieces) within the span of a day or two. You can imagine what sort of damage people can (and did, to an extent) do to the economy with that kind of immensely disproportionate wealth... Once the devs find out about it, they just hope they aren't caught, or that they decide to do a rollback/correction instead of ban. By that time, though, they may have spent a boatload of it or divvied it out to the degree where it would be too costly in man-hours to figure out how to fully eradicate the virtual equivalent of counterfeit currency.

I'm very glad Anet takes such a rigid stance on that kind of bullshit.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 21:20 PHJF

Because MMOs subsist on virtual economies and as soon as people start exploiting the system trades start becoming based on SOJs, and the time and effort of Joe the Virtual Plumber are unfairly devalued.

If only white-collar criminals were so punished in the real world...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 20:59 Prez

Banning hackers and cheaters is one thing; I never understood banning people for using exploits however. It seems to me their crimes are far less egregious and should be dealt with a little less harshly.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 20:56 Cutter

Haven't been impressed with the holiday events as such. Even though it would have been nice to see them change, WoW still had the best holiday events - IMO at any rate.

And I'm just playing way too much other stuff these days. I'll get back in there at some point though.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 3, 2013, 20:50 Dades

Love the PVP in this, I hate MMO games but I keep coming back to this for the huge siege battles. They are so much fun when you get into a decent group.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo