Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter

GarageGames announces a Kickstarter campaign for 3 Step Studio, planned as a free suite of tools for the development of video games with no programming experience. The Torque engine developers seek a half-million dollars for this, and here is part of the pitch:

The 3 Step Studio suite includes free genre-specific templates and tools that help aspiring game designers create and share their game for iPad, iPhone, Windows and Mac in three easy steps: Select a template, customize the game play and art – or upload your art to ‘make it your own’, and then publish the results for others to play. The basic tools and templates will be available for free to use, with advanced tools, templates and additional content available through micro-transactions.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 10:41 Alamar

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 08:42:
Unity - 3D Game Development, should know 3D Engines and C#/C++, Vector Algebra.

Adventure Game Studio - 2D games, should know C.

RPG Maker - 2D, uses Ruby scripting.

Game Maker - 2D, C

Unreal Dev Kit - 3D, Unreal Script

PC Gamer had a big article on this stuff. But yeah, the assets are probably the big factor with this. I tried making a Diablo type game a LONG time ago and fizzled out when I tried to make music and art for the project.

As a professional developer, and hobby game developer, I second this comment on assets...

Free game engines have come along so far over the last 10+ years, and if they were around when I started, things may have gone differently : )

As for now, I've played around with UDK, which I like, and taken a quick look at Unity and it looks promising, but the problems I have with these engines, is that they don't handle the kind of stuff I want to make...

For example, while I'm not making a minecraft clone, it is a great example of something that doesn't work well in these kinds of engines, because they typically use a lot of static objects, and objects in these (and other) engines are huge... Even with some performance tweaks, each cube would likely be rendered as a separate object... It's possible that under the hood, it would be batched 'properly', but it didn't seem to me that was the way when I was messing around with it... Incidentally, one of the biggest mistakes new coders make with learning D3D/OpenGL is not properly batching models : )

Which is fine... 'do many things' engines like these are meant to be generic so they can handle a lot of possibilities, but if you 'go against the grain' and try to build something atypical, it gets messier.

In short, to reiterate Alien's sentiment; it's all about the assets, especially when using an engine... The engine does so much for you, a small project is going to need one coder/scripter, and like five model/art/etc asset makers, and that's just not the way the hobby world works (Seems everyone and their uncle is a coder, and one in fifty can create some low quality art : )

In shorter... If you're interested in getting into game dev, or hobby game dev... Learn to draw ; ) Or model, skin, rig, etc...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 10:25 wtf_man

Without a ton of art assets available, none of these game makers are much good.

And I'm not talking just assets you can plug in... I'm talking about the source models, animations, and textures, as well... so they can at least be heavily modified into something that is fairly original, but the bulk of the asset work has been already done. Prototype quickly with the assets as they are... then go through and modify them with 3DS max or Blender or something.

But the point is... there needs to be a huge library available, standardized (like each character model has walk, run, combat, dodge / cover, and death animations - all in the same order).. and a good chunk needs to be included. Model packs would still be sold on top of the included library.

Also... these "no programming necessary" game makers are BS. They're either very very limited on what you can do, or there is scripting language that is so complex that it is practically a programming language (so it's a lie).

13. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 Krael

Keep in mind that backing this kickstarter gives you a small amount of art assets, and a few templates.

Doesn't mention how much art, if it can be used commercially, and even if it's of a good enough quality (and quantity) to use for a project.

I just don't see anything here that screams out half a million dollars.... Cheaper to just KS some sort of 'co-op' for assets and use one of the many pre-existing engines out there, but that's just me. I just don't see the market for indie devs that are looking for something like this to even come close to meeting the funding goal.

12. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 08:42 Undocumented Alien

Unity - 3D Game Development, should know 3D Engines and C#/C++, Vector Algebra.

Adventure Game Studio - 2D games, should know C.

RPG Maker - 2D, uses Ruby scripting.

Game Maker - 2D, C

Unreal Dev Kit - 3D, Unreal Script

PC Gamer had a big article on this stuff. But yeah, the assets are probably the big factor with this. I tried making a Diablo type game a LONG time ago and fizzled out when I tried to make music and art for the project.

11. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 06:43 Rigs

Don't forget there's also RPG Maker, too. It's pretty easy to use, you have a lot of different options within the app and it has excellent support via the developer and a robust community around it...

I think if anyone is wanting to try developing games, from what I've found it would be best to learn PYTHON, HTML5 or UNREAL/ActionScript...After that, if your brain hasn't liquefied, you can move on to something a little harder such as C++ or C#...

I went on a programming learning binge last year and tried to grab every pdf, tutorial, book or site that I could get my hands on but in the end, I just couldn't get my head around it. I'm lucky if I can balance my checkbook and math has never been a strong trait of mine, so maybe I just wasn't meant to be a game dev/game programmer... *sigh* I have lots of ideas though, like a modern version of EGATrek or Rules of Engagement 2...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 06:49.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

10. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 05:07 Orphic Resonance

you gotta know how to code to use NWN editor.. its not plug and play except for the maps and art  

9. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 04:38 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 23:44:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:32:
Would the free versions of the Unity engine or Game Maker let you do that?

Making a game is something I've been kicking around lately.

No. Game Maker is a phone app. With Unity you could but you'd need a team to build all the assets so it defeats the purpose - unless you could do a KS to build an asset base for unity similar to what you'd find in NWN. That'd be a huge undertaking though. What did it cost and how long did it take for Bioware to get all their immediate assets for NWN made? Same with Cryptic and the new Neverwinter and they already had the Foundry and a lot of assets in place. Still it's take them a few years and many millions so far.

Actually speaking of NWN, if you just wanted to create a CRPG in the NWN style, couldn't you use NWN itself? NWN and NWN2 have a robust toolsets to create indoor and outdoor maps, NPCs, traps, loot, etc. I suppose the downside is that they would not be standalone. You'd only be able to play them with NWN.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 00:44 Grokk

I've recently started development on a game myself using the Unity engine.
Previously I had worked a bit with the Torque engine and it was quite reasonable at the time, but it had nothing on how well Unity works today.

Perhaps Garagegames can make a bit of a comeback with this, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the cost of doing things in Unity, that all comes down to how much you're williing to put in to it. There's no way it needs to cost millions.
That said, you do need some knowledge on programming as well as all the 3d stuff (assuming a 3d rather than 2d game).
There are many sites around that provide "assets" for a reasonable price. Some can literally be dropped in to the engine and away they go. ie: the Unity Store. (Only available from inside the editor)

My issue at the moment is more along the lines of how far I feel like taking this experiment of mine, with how easy it is nowadays to get your hands on everything you need to create games at zero cost. I could employ a few people and make a good quality game, or I can keep going solo and hack together a developer type build with some awesome stuff, but leaving it a little light on the graphics/sound/animations etc...
Right now I'm not ready to commit to more than a weekend project, but the further I get in to it, the more it looks like a small investment from kickstarter and I could be heading up a new development company.

7. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 4, 2013, 00:17 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 22:50:
Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 22:01:
I already did KS on something in the same vein, a game making game for people with no experience. Its still not out.

Was your kickstarter successful? What's the status of the project? Are you still working on it?
As in I backed it. I've never created a project.

KS link
http://primerlabs.com/codehero0

I'm not actually sure of the status. They apparently had a limited time window to get a key on the website to download an early version (alpha? beta?) of it, and I missed out on that window, and my questions have gone unanswered as to how I can get it now. They haven't posted a KS update in months.

Most of the KS I've backed with physical rewards have gotten to me, but the virtual ones (such as computer games) seem to get a lot more delays. This is one of the few I've backed that I'm starting to get concerned about. Fortunately, I didn't put much into it.
Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 23:44:

No. Game Maker is a phone app. With Unity you could but you'd need a team to build all the assets so it defeats the purpose - unless you could do a KS to build an asset base for unity similar to what you'd find in NWN. That'd be a huge undertaking though. What did it cost and how long did it take for Bioware to get all their immediate assets for NWN made? Same with Cryptic and the new Neverwinter and they already had the Foundry and a lot of assets in place. Still it's take them a few years and many millions so far.

No, game maker isn't just for phones. In fact the free version only does windows exe versions, you have to pay extra for phones.
I did a brief write up a day or two ago on what a few mins of research turned on on game maker:
link

6. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 23:44 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 22:50 jdreyer

Dev wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 22:01:
I already did KS on something in the same vein, a game making game for people with no experience. Its still not out.

Was your kickstarter successful? What's the status of the project? Are you still working on it?

4. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 22:01 Dev

3. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 21:34 jdreyer

Hmm, it's been running for a day, and only 10 backers for $350.

I guess it's hard to drum of funds when you're going to give away the final product?

2. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 21:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:01:
Bah! I was stoked for a second this was going to be some sort of NWN or Foundry type kit. And even if it was I still wouldn't be down with the nickel and diming model. Just sell me a complete package and complete packs later on. I'd be ok with some micro buy stuff like if you needed one specific tileset and didn't want to buy an entire package for it. Someone create me a new NWN style game for CRPG creation please and thank you very much!

1. Re: GarageGames Game Development Kit Kickstarter Jan 3, 2013, 21:01 Cutter

Bah! I was stoked for a second this was going to be some sort of NWN or Foundry type kit. And even if it was I still wouldn't be down with the nickel and diming model. Just sell me a complete package and complete packs later on. I'd be ok with some micro buy stuff like if you needed one specific tileset and didn't want to buy an entire package for it. Someone create me a new NWN style game for CRPG creation please and thank you very much!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo