Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

1Reason - In The Base Case by Kim Swift (thanks GamesIndustry International)
So, I have a secret wish. Whenever Iím in the public eye, whether itís doing PR or giving a talk Ė and this is going to sound amazingly corny ó I hope that thereís a little girl out there that sees me and thinks to herself, ďOh look! Girls make games too.Ē I say this because this problem isnít going to change on a dime. A grown adult isnít going to change their mind about their inherent beliefs or their personality because someone gave them the stink eye (or an Internet reaming).

View
24. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 15:35 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:55:
No, the issue is that she's complaining about a problem in society and you're taking it to mean a problem with you, then making all kind of "I shouldn't be a victim" arguments.

When have you ever been treated as a lesser sex in which to complain about? Call me when you make 70 cents on the dollar, or any time you make a point someone says to you "that's nice, now go make a sandwich," even if just a joke...

Actually, smartass, I HAVE been treated as a 'lesser sex' in the past! That wasn't a very wise question to raise. You have no idea what kind of experiences I've had that, in turn, shape my arguments. In 2001, my fiance` (ex-wife now) and I both got jobs at Prudential headquarters in Parsippany, NJ. We both had the same job and job 'title', which was admin assistant. (Basically the unglamorous work of filing, sorting, copying, running around and slaving it for the other marginally higher-ups). In fact she's two years younger than me also and I had more administrative experience, not to mention years more computer experience and more advanced office PC skills. But because nearly everyone in the office was female - our assistant boss, our boss boss, their boss and everyone in HR (I was one of only three men on that part of the floor/division, none in management/supervisory positions), I made $9/hour while she, for some 'inexplicable' reason, got $11/hr - for the same job, same hours, SAME WORK! When I brought this to the attention of our BOSS boss (my term, since everyone there was the 'boss' of something or someone...except for me, apparently), she gave me a look as if to say, 'Yeah, so?'...I didn't stay long after that as it wasn't the only 'injustice' (article's term), but my fiance` was obviously just fine and made quite a few friends there.

Listen, I'm not saying it happens ALL the time. I'm not saying men are 'oppressed'. I'm saying that it happens to BOTH sexes, not just women. Just as blacks can be racists, women can certainly be sexist and having untold numbers of them bitching and whining about it all the time while men have to sit and politely keep their mouths shut is fucking ludacris...IMO...

And with that, I am done with this argument...Good day, sir!

Nothin' personal, Beamer, man, the article and the ones before it just irked me the wrong way and it's 2013 now FFS! I think humanity needs to finally evolve beyond this sexist/racist/left-right BS... Cool

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 23:16.

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 3, 21:06 Re: Op Ed Cutter
  2. Jan 3, 21:14 Re: Op Ed Orphic Resonance
  3. Jan 3, 21:15 Re: Op Ed jdreyer
  4. Jan 3, 21:27  Re: Op Ed eRe4s3r
  5. Jan 3, 21:32   ooooOOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOOooooOOOooo Orphic Resonance
  6. Jan 3, 21:47    Re: ooooOOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOOooooOOOooo eRe4s3r
  9. Jan 3, 22:21     .... i know kung fu .... Orphic Resonance
  7. Jan 3, 21:50 Re: Op Ed Ratty
  8. Jan 3, 22:04 Re: Op Ed jdreyer
  10. Jan 3, 22:23  Re: Op Ed Prez