Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

1Reason - In The Base Case by Kim Swift (thanks GamesIndustry International)
So, I have a secret wish. Whenever Im in the public eye, whether its doing PR or giving a talk and this is going to sound amazingly corny I hope that theres a little girl out there that sees me and thinks to herself, Oh look! Girls make games too. I say this because this problem isnt going to change on a dime. A grown adult isnt going to change their mind about their inherent beliefs or their personality because someone gave them the stink eye (or an Internet reaming).

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Op Ed Jan 7, 2013, 01:41 RollinThundr

Rigs wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 09:20:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 09:10:
After reading parts of this thread, I can't possibly imagine why so many people think there's sexism in the game industry and community.

No, it's not that. I'm tired of constantly turning around and being told I'm scum because I'm a man. Everywhere nowadays, it's the 'mighty white man taketh over, how dare he?!' and as a divorced, single father, I take offense to being portrayed as a stupid, bumbling, sexist, racist drunk who only cares about himself! That's all I see in advertising and in media anymore. But can I say anything about it without being labeled sexist? Obviously not. So why fight it anymore? I tried being the nice apologetic ladies man and all I got for it was more hate-filled diatribes on blogs and news articles by 'oppressed' woman folk. Fuck them. I'm done being sorry for WHO I am even though everyone else apparently can do or say whatever the fuck they want and if I (meaning 'men in general') call them on it, I'm the sexist asshole! So, fine, I'm a sexist asshole. Now they can all shut up about it because we admitted they're right, we're wrong. Whatever. Just shut the fuck up already. (whiny women 'in general', not you in particular PA)...

Hopefully that made some sense...if not, sorry, I'm extremely tired from working 20-30 hours at a time the last couple weeks...

=-Rigs-=

That's what political correctness and liberalism will get for you. Society made up of a bunch of whiny, entitled douchenozzles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 15:35 Rigs

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:55:
No, the issue is that she's complaining about a problem in society and you're taking it to mean a problem with you, then making all kind of "I shouldn't be a victim" arguments.

When have you ever been treated as a lesser sex in which to complain about? Call me when you make 70 cents on the dollar, or any time you make a point someone says to you "that's nice, now go make a sandwich," even if just a joke...

Actually, smartass, I HAVE been treated as a 'lesser sex' in the past! That wasn't a very wise question to raise. You have no idea what kind of experiences I've had that, in turn, shape my arguments. In 2001, my fiance` (ex-wife now) and I both got jobs at Prudential headquarters in Parsippany, NJ. We both had the same job and job 'title', which was admin assistant. (Basically the unglamorous work of filing, sorting, copying, running around and slaving it for the other marginally higher-ups). In fact she's two years younger than me also and I had more administrative experience, not to mention years more computer experience and more advanced office PC skills. But because nearly everyone in the office was female - our assistant boss, our boss boss, their boss and everyone in HR (I was one of only three men on that part of the floor/division, none in management/supervisory positions), I made $9/hour while she, for some 'inexplicable' reason, got $11/hr - for the same job, same hours, SAME WORK! When I brought this to the attention of our BOSS boss (my term, since everyone there was the 'boss' of something or someone...except for me, apparently), she gave me a look as if to say, 'Yeah, so?'...I didn't stay long after that as it wasn't the only 'injustice' (article's term), but my fiance` was obviously just fine and made quite a few friends there.

Listen, I'm not saying it happens ALL the time. I'm not saying men are 'oppressed'. I'm saying that it happens to BOTH sexes, not just women. Just as blacks can be racists, women can certainly be sexist and having untold numbers of them bitching and whining about it all the time while men have to sit and politely keep their mouths shut is fucking ludacris...IMO...

And with that, I am done with this argument...Good day, sir!

Nothin' personal, Beamer, man, the article and the ones before it just irked me the wrong way and it's 2013 now FFS! I think humanity needs to finally evolve beyond this sexist/racist/left-right BS... Cool

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 23:16.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

23. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 12:55 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 12:22:
Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:17:
Stop it. Someone is saying "there's a problem" and you're taking it as "it's your fault."

Stop making yourself a victim when someone else is. This isn't about you.

Oh, so, because it's about women and I'm not a woman, then nothing's wrong, right? What kind of bullshit is that?! That's saying that she (or any other woman that jumps on the soapbox from here to eternity, including the multitudes of others before her) has every right to bitch and moan about being treated as a lesser sex but if I do the same, 'it's not my fight'? I have no right to take the spotlight from her? Whatever. I stated my reasons and said what I wanted to say. You say she's a 'victim'? Really? Wow, ok, man...

=-Rigs-=

No, the issue is that she's complaining about a problem in society and you're taking it to mean a problem with you, then making all kind of "I shouldn't be a victim" arguments.

When have you ever been treated as a lesser sex in which to complain about? Call me when you make 70 cents on the dollar, or any time you make a point someone says to you "that's nice, now go make a sandwich," even if just a joke...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 Rigs

Stop it. Someone is saying "there's a problem" and you're taking it as "it's your fault."

Oh, so, because it's about women and I'm not a woman, then nothing's wrong, right? What kind of bullshit is that?! That's saying that she (or any other woman that jumps on the soapbox from here to eternity, including the multitudes of others before her) has every right to bitch and moan about being treated as a lesser sex but if I do the same, 'it's not my fight'? I have no right to take the spotlight from her? Whatever. I stated my reasons and said what I wanted to say. You say she's a 'victim'? Really? Wow, ok, man...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

21. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 11:30 Orphic Resonance

some lower forms of monkeys and so forth cant recognize themselves in a mirror

similar concept here

you cant just "talk them into it" either

20. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 10:17 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 09:20:
After reading parts of this thread, I can't possibly imagine why so many people think there's sexism in the game industry and community.

No, it's not that. I'm tired of constantly turning around and being told I'm scum because I'm a man. Everywhere nowadays, it's the 'mighty white man taketh over, how dare he?!' and as a divorced, single father, I take offense to being portrayed as a stupid, bumbling, sexist, racist drunk who only cares about himself! That's all I see in advertising and in media anymore. But can I say anything about it without being labeled sexist? Obviously not. So why fight it anymore? I tried being the nice apologetic ladies man and all I got for it was more hate-filled diatribes on blogs and news articles by 'oppressed' woman folk. Fuck them. I'm done being sorry for WHO I am even though everyone else apparently can do or say whatever the fuck they want and if I (meaning 'men in general') call them on it, I'm the sexist asshole! So, fine, I'm a sexist asshole. Now they can all shut up about it because we admitted they're right, we're wrong. Whatever. Just shut the fuck up already. (whiny women 'in general', not you in particular PA)...

Hopefully that made some sense...if not, sorry, I'm extremely tired from working 20-30 hours at a time the last couple weeks...

=-Rigs-=

-------------

19. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 10:16 Beamer

And this is one of the better ones, too.

-------------

18. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 09:20 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

17. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 09:10 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

16. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 07:05 Rigs

*bangs head against desk repeatedly*

How many fucking times are we going to get the same damn article, week after fucking week?!? Cry/moan/bitch/wah-wah about how women are not equal in this industry or any other and how they wish it would change and if I could just let one girl know...GEEZUS FUCKING CHRIST - SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY! I'm so sick of it! Have you not noticed nearly every other 'female game journalist and/or game developer' (who really play games! They really, really do! Honest! Morgan Webb too!) has said the same sad story over and over already? Go home, cry your eyes out, write in your journal or whatever and then come back to work and do what everybody else does! Not because you have a fucking vagina and I have a dick, (oh noes! the inequality of it all!) but because we're people working in the same building, employed in the same industry! Nothing more, nothing less... Rolleyes

*ahem* Relatively speaking, of course...

=-Rigs-=

15. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 03:33 Cyanotetyphas

Hopefully women will naturally stream into video game development now that everyone plays SOMETHING.

I think our hobby is sorely missing some unique perspective. The last game I played that had a female central protagonist was Portal 2 and she was mute...before that maybe Bayonetta? Frowny face.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

14. Re: Op Ed Jan 4, 2013, 02:08 Esoteric

Good article.  

13. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 23:34 SlimRam

So, I have a secret wish. Whenever Im in the public eye, whether its doing PR or giving a talk and this is going to sound amazingly corny I hope that theres a little girl out there that sees me and thinks to herself, Oh look! I can be a stripper too.

God Bless her *holds a lit lighter up in the air* Keep the dream alive darlin' *Fishing in my wallet for singles with a little tear in my eye*

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

12. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 23:19 killer_roach

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 23:16:
I think we all know the answer to that.

Of course.

Female aliens, duh.

11. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 23:16 jacobvandy

I think we all know the answer to that.  

10. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 22:23 Prez

So are there more aliens or women in game development?  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. .... i know kung fu .... Jan 3, 2013, 22:21 Orphic Resonance

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:47:
Then they should get a move on and abduct me.

maybe they like to do it GHB style

think about that the next time your anus is sore for no reason...

8. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 22:04 jdreyer

Alien We will be abducting Ratty in 3..2..1...  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 21:50 Ratty

That was really touching. And beautiful. Now go make me a sandwich.  

6. Re: ooooOOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOOooooOOOooo Jan 3, 2013, 21:47 eRe4s3r

Then they should get a move on and abduct me.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo