Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 16:38 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:11:
I'd very much like Sony and MS to do this. It'll kill the console market all that much quicker and reassert PC gaming's rightful place as king.

How?

PC games more or less lead the "no used market" charge. CD keys, online activation, Steam. a total lack of any retail locations buying or selling used PC games... I don't see how the console becoming more like the PC kills the console...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 16:00 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:43:
Seems like some poor design decisions were made under the hood that the XBOX managed to avoid.

360 games are on DVDs

And beyond that, the Forza games (3 and 4) did more or less require large content installs to the hard drive...

Also, the mandatory installs weren't as frequent as Microsoft apologists would like to believe.

(Additionally, a move to even a 4x BD-ROM drive would mean that they'd be able to load content faster than any DVD-ROM drive could ever hope to, making the arguments largely moot. Honestly a bit surprised Sony didn't move to this in later PS3 models, and then have the installs be subject to a version check.)

15. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 15:43 PHJF

Seems like some poor design decisions were made under the hood that the XBOX managed to avoid.

360 games are on DVDs

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 13:46 Nadool

Julio wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 05:55:
I have multiple PS3s for different TVs, so this DRM doesn't even allow me to use my games myself.

If you're on the same PSN ID it shouldn't be an issue. Exactly how it works now with PSN downloads except for the fact that this new system could easily work offline with a disc.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 13:13 avianflu

one of the things that never made sense with the PS3 is that many major-release games required an "installation" from the disk, that installation took surprisingly a long time, and there was _still_ sluggish buffering and loading times in spite of the installation.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 11:14 Verno

PHJF wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:58:
- 32GB onboard SSD instead of a hard drive

Which would allow you to install one Metal Gear Solid title and nothing else.

The whole installing games on consoles needs to go, period. BRD is fantastic for movies and absolutely terrible for games.

Expecting them to put a 128GB SSD in there isn't realistic, they need to keep these under $350.00 in this economy. I'd rather have a fast cache and a moderate storage drive (HD or BRD) than just the latter.

Edit: I don't necessarily mean a physical SSD obviously, just a controller with some fast NAND.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 12:04.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 10:58 PHJF

Which would allow you to install one Metal Gear Solid title and nothing else.

The whole installing games on consoles needs to go, period. BRD is fantastic for movies and absolutely terrible for games.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 08:58 Verno

I'd wait until we hear something concrete, companies patent a lot of shit. The PS3 was a bit of a letdown in the UI department and their online API (or lack thereof for much of this gen) was annoying but they seemed to get their act together in the past few years.

Some things I'd like to see from a PS4:

- less annoying firmware updating
- background patching without a PSN+ account
- better UI, no more engineers doing the user interface
- Don't touch the Netflix app, its perfect LEAVE IT ALONE
- Keep up the great exclusives, Sony had a wide variety of genre representation and some really solid games that deserved to sell more than they did. Microsoft basically gave up on a few years ago and just farts out a Halo game every now and then, Sony has been very consistent by comparison.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 4, 2013, 08:39 avianflu

Sadly, SONY lost me after the "completely underwhelming in every possible way" PS3.

SONY doesnt want me as a consumer anyway

I buy most console games used, since 59 bucks plus tax is truly a rip-off, especially with the DLC insanity that happens as soon as a major game is released.

8. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 08:32 The Half Elf

Give me a system where (like Steam) I don't need a physical copy of the game, but at the same time could trade that game to another person. You get more money to the developers bypassing Brick and Mortar, and you curb second hand sales.

Only after Sony beefs up their network cause holy crap it's slow as hell.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 05:55 Julio

Sony's DRM system will cause me to go Microsoft only instead next console generation if it happens as described. I have multiple PS3s for different TVs, so this DRM doesn't even allow me to use my games myself.  

6. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 4, 2013, 01:37 Jensen

This would let Sony implement a system like Steam with a bit more flexibility. Mostly online sales, but with discs for those with slower connections, and the RFID option so no internet connection is needed at all. Also, the disc wouldn't need to be in the system after the initial installation.

One of the reasons I'm a bit more accepting of Steam DRM is that it doesn't lock me to a specific piece of hardware made by the same company.

5. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 3, 2013, 22:45 killer_roach

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 22:05:
nin wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:36:
And what happens when your hardware dies?

C'mon, that never happens!

There's some thought that such a system could tie to a PSN ID, which would allow a safety valve (and allow you to take a game to a friend's house). Also, an RFID-based solution should, depending on implementation, be reasonably easy to adapt for rental copies.

4. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 3, 2013, 22:05 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 21:36:
And what happens when your hardware dies?

C'mon, that never happens!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Sony blocking used game sales Jan 3, 2013, 21:36 nin

Not only does this tech block used games, but also lending your games to your friends would also be blocked, unless you also loaned them your PS

And what happens when your hardware dies? You get a replacement system and suddenly the games you own call you a thief.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Sony blocking used game sales Jan 3, 2013, 21:13 jdreyer

Not only does this tech block used games, but also lending your games to your friends would also be blocked, unless you also loaned them your PS. In addition, this would also destroy the rental market.

It doesn't seem to do anything to prevent piracy though, as I would assume that the RFID check could be bypassed by hackers, allowing the game to be pirated. So this tech really just reduces access to said games for law abiding citizens. Were this to be implemented, I wouldn't be surprised to see piracy jump.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 3, 2013, 21:11 Cutter

I'd very much like Sony and MS to do this. It'll kill the console market all that much quicker and reassert PC gaming's rightful place as king.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo