Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage

This trailer offers a look at alpha gameplay from FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, showing an instanced dungeon in Square Enix's upcoming MMORPG reboot. According to the corresponding forum post: "In this instanced dungeon, adventurers will meet with myriad opponents and obstacles to overcome before they may proceed further. The most spectacular spoils are granted only to those who venture into the deepest depths and emerge victorious." They also note this dungeon is designed for low-level characters and that the battle system is "currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system." Thanks IGN.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 20:18 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 12:14:
The other end is called dumbing down. Can any choice win? Probably not.

You are wrong, they can make the fights difficult without a timer, it has been done before and even by the same company in a previous game.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 19:33 eRe4s3r

Well if a mmo has only to choose between casual number pressing or grinding-like-hell number pressing then it should never be made to begin with. If a MMO doesn't offer anything new or unique, why the hell is it made and why should we ever play it? I have to assume most (sane) gamers are sick and tired of the generic-MMO press numbers to win scheme by their 2nd or 3rd mmo

Also @Horroscope, if I may ask.. how do you manage to always change the the title of the post you reply to? Is it last-pass remembering the title from when you last saved the login details? Because I have the same problem and would love to hear a way to fix this (currently I have lastpass disabled on bluesnews, and just use "remember me" exactly because of that ;p

Lastpass thinks the "subject" is part of the login

16. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 13:09 sauron

Mingus wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 11:36:
Looking back, (waaay back), the only game mechanic I recall truly liking with FFXI was fishing. I made it to 50 or so as a White Mage, but the grind was far too much for me.

I just can't see myself investing either the time or patience for this or any other MMORPG.

I attribute this to age.

In FFXI I ended up with 3 jobs at 99, the new level cap (Beastmaster, Bard, White Mage), and most of the expansions completed (including Chains of Promathia, which was really, really hard and took about 12 months). Plus a bunch of raiding/alliance events at endgame. Too much time. Far too much, honestly.

The only MMO I have time for right now is Guild Wars 2. It's very casual-friendly - most raids take under 45 minutes and there are some you can blast through with 5 people in 15 minutes or less if you know what you're doing. And getting a group takes 2 minutes or less - I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes, ever. So I can log on for an hour and really have a blast, without feeling guilty afterwards.

Uh, although I did just start the quest for a Legendary Weapon in GW2, which means I'll need to run dailies every day, for 6 months...

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2013, 13:16.

Kittens!

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 12:14 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 22:29:
Also notice that the instance is on a timer. Which means in case you wipe your party, you can do the whole grind all over again.

The other end is called dumbing down. Can any choice win? Probably not.

14. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 11:36 Mingus

Looking back, (waaay back), the only game mechanic I recall truly liking with FFXI was fishing. I made it to 50 or so as a White Mage, but the grind was far too much for me.

I just can't see myself investing either the time or patience for this or any other MMORPG.

I attribute this to age.

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 09:04 sauron

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 07:31:
Unfortunately the alternative to stand and push buttons, is pushing more buttons faster. You ought to listen to just the key board sounds of someone playing the latest anti-stand and fight effort GW2. It's constant tap-tap-tappity tap in an orgy of twitchdom. Congratulations you just turned a MMORPG into a console MORTAL KOMBAT simulator with MMORPG pretentions.

I disagree strongly. I play GW2 and before that I played FFXI and LOTRO. I greatly prefer the GW2 system - much more fun - you have to pay attention to the environment around you to a greater degree. It does mean some tappy-tappy of the keyboard, but much less so than in a FPS.

Regarding things like floating damage numbers, in FFXI you could certainly turn them off. Community mods allowed the UI to be altered substantially and eventually the developer incorporated most of those ideas into the game.

My issues with FFXIV aren't that it has a busy UI, but that the base gameplay mechanics are really, really dated. If you're going to play it, you might as well be playing FFXI with a bunch of graphic mods, or even Everquest. The presentation looks flashy and the FF universe is very deep, but the substance of FFXIV is lacking in novelty and imagination - it's really just an updated version of FFXI which at this point is over a decade old.

Kittens!

12. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 3, 2013, 07:31 Jonjonz

Unfortunately the alternative to stand and push buttons, is pushing more buttons faster. You ought to listen to just the key board sounds of someone playing the latest anti-stand and fight effort GW2. It's constant tap-tap-tappity tap in an orgy of twitchdom. Congratulations you just turned a MMORPG into a console MORTAL KOMBAT simulator with MMORPG pretentions.  

11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 22:29 eRe4s3r

Also notice that the instance is on a timer. Which means in case you wipe your party, you can do the whole grind all over again.

Doesn't help that all they did was stand around pressing numbers.

10. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 22:20 LittleMe

Agreed the environs look cool, but the rest looks bad.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 22:06 WyldKat

So are the crazy, blinding particle effects just there to obscure the fact that you're just sitting in the same spot spamming buttons?

I actually have to say this looks worse than the original release and that's coming from someone who was suckered into it. It's worse because they had a second chance to do something truly revolutionary and they give us something that could be mistaken for a badly done WoW-clone with prettier graphics.

Also the clicking and global cooldowns are downright hilarious.

8. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 21:26 Longswd

That was very...shiny. Not to my taste at all and yeah, looks like a console game. If it looks like a console game it likely plays like one as well.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 20:34 beigemore

Looks interesting.  

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 20:24 Wallshadows

That interface is way too crowded and the chat box is way too small. What's up with the Mickey Mouse cursor?  

5. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 20:24 theyarecomingforyou

Well fuck me, when did having ADHD become a requirement for playing the Final Fantasy series?  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 19:40 wtf_man

Rigs wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 19:14:
How does showing hitpoints mean a 'console-first' mentality? I don't understand that...

Floating Damage Numbers has always ruined immersion for me. If a game has them, I turn them off. If I can't turn them off, I don't play. I'm picky, I guess. Anyway, damage numbers popping up is something I've seen from early consoles and "arcade fighting games", so I associate that with "consolitis".

I think you are also confusing my "looks like crap" comment... That was intended as a separate statement... I think it looks like crap even if the damage numbers weren't popping up.

The environment looks good... the character models, animations, spell-effects, UI, etc. etc. (Just about everything else) looks like crap, IMO.

3. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 19:16 Ray Marden

RARGH! RUN UP TO THE ENEMY AND...just stand there pressing buttons.

This obviously is not limited solely to FFXIV, but it reminds me how little the industry is trying.
I need more than this when I play a MMORPG.
Skipping this,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 19:14 Rigs

If it's being 'revised' then why show it? So, you show something that's not going to be in the finished game to show off how the game is coming along? o.0

I hope you can at least turn off the damage numbers... it screams consolitis.

How does showing hitpoints mean a 'console-first' mentality? I don't understand that...

In any case, I probably shouldn't even be saying anything because I am definitely not an RPG-type player. I've always found the 'you hit me, I hit you' way of playing to be...for lack of a better term, stupid. Sorry to those that do like it...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 19:00 wtf_man

Wow, that looks like crap.

I hope you can at least turn off the damage numbers... it screams consolitis.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo