Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 3, 2013, 08:39 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 20:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 20:15:
Spec Ops just looks like every other generic shooter though. Is there something I'm missing and is it worth picking up for 50% off on Steam?

It supposedly has an interesting 4th wallish message to it about violence. I picked it up on sale but haven't played it yet.

It's not that interesting or subtle to be honest, it's just one of the few games to have some self-awareness about its target audience and actually hold up a mirror for them. Some people say its worth playing just for that aspect but I found it to be a ho-hum experience overall.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Amazon.com: Best of 2012 in Video Games. Jan 3, 2013, 01:05 HoSpanky

I finished playing thru Spec Ops today. Not terribly long, gameplay is basically Gears of War with modern military skins.

The storyline is pretty messed up. By the final quarter of the game, even the load screens question your motives. It is not the happy jokey game that Gears is, at least not for long.
The graphics feel dated when you're out in the desert, but some of the indoor areas are absurdly gorgeous.

An aside: the developer decision to have the solders have their uniforms seal up over their neck-stumps when you blow their heads off? looks super weird. The game is jam-packed with horrific shit happening to people, yet having a bloody stump was just that little step too far, eh?

7. Amazon.com: Best of 2012 in Video Games. Jan 2, 2013, 21:33 jimnms

Fuck I knew I shouldn't have bought the BF3 Premium Edition on Amazon when it was on sale last week. It was cheaper than the Premium upgrade, but now they have the Premium upgrade for $25, and I have two $5 credits so I could have gotten it for $20 instead of $30. I kind of regretted buying it since I don't have time to play BF3 much, but I was thinking the new maps might motivate me to make time for it.

So now I have two $5 credits and only one game on the list that I want.

Steam Profile

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 21:32 Orphic Resonance

Nothing good ever happens to anyone in Spec Ops: The Line. It starts with a rescue, a rough situation destined to get worse, and unravels in a downward spiral where only bad things happen to good people. By the end, physical, mental, and moral disruption leave each character in a very different place than they started. You almost expect it to have been written by Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin.

This isnít a good thing for Captain Martin Walker, our intrepid hero whose will weakens with every enemy encounter. He transforms from a cheesy clichť to someone you sympathize with, and then develops into something despicable. How he gets there isnít up to you -- what it ultimately means, though, is entirely your call.

Story is Spec Opsí strong suit, and while the inconsistent combat isnít ideal, the gameplay does a great job of facilitating that narrative between intense encounters. In fact, The Line accomplishes something most shooters donít bother with: It makes violence meaningful. Every firefight ends with Walker and his Delta Force squad regretting what they've done.

- IGN

hmmm.. really tho.. im not looking for story from FPS games, ive never seen one that comes even remotely close to a halfway decent movie.. maybe Undying .. but that wasnt really the same kind of FPS, more like adventure/fps

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 21:09 Yosemite Sam

Heh, Croshaws reviews are the best.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 21:07 jacobvandy

From what I can gather, some people think it's some brilliant satire on the dude-bro, modern warfare shooter genre... While others think there's no self-awareness about it at all, and that it's just that bad.

I got it for just over $5 on GMG the other day, which I think is an okay price to find out for myself.

3. like WHOAAAAAAAA Jan 2, 2013, 20:58 Orphic Resonance

Sepharo wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 20:18:
It supposedly has an interesting 4th wallish message to it about violence. I picked it up on sale but haven't played it yet.

a FPS game with a critique on violence.. that sounds so meta

or is it ironic?

something like that

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 20:18 Sepharo

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 20:15:
Spec Ops just looks like every other generic shooter though. Is there something I'm missing and is it worth picking up for 50% off on Steam?

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 20:15 Wallshadows

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo