Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues

GOG.com announces "one promo to rule them all" to conclude their holiday sale, saying the "number of games you can get today up to 75% off is simply mind-boggling." The sale items are on the GOG.com front page, and they note that in addition to all these 75% discounts, most of the rest of their catalog is still on sale for half-off for the next 24 hours. Meanwhile, it's day fourteen of the Steam holiday sale. Here are today's specials:

• Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Magicka on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Painkiller Franchise on Steam. Save 50-75%.
  • Sniper Elite V2 on Steam. Save 50%.
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Tomb Raider Collection on Steam. Save 75%.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:11 pagb

I hate Gog.com sales. I don't want a dozen games for 25$ or nothing, they never have single game offers for a big portion of their catalog.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:10 Quinn

I am really really HOPING for a Sleeping Dogs sale before its over. I was oblivious enough to as late as today check the demo. I enjoyed it allot and it's one of those games that shows off its glory on a new rig.

If anyone knows a place where the digital version drops below 25,- / $30,- please let me know here or PM me! Thanks in advance!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

26. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:10 Beamer

mag wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 16:07:
Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:54:
mag wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:51:
Also: I have and use an xbox 360 controller on my PC. It's kind of a piece of shit. The actual thing feels sturdy, but the D-pad is the worst of any controller I've ever used, the buttons are mushy, and the analog sticks click.

The PS3 controller is much nicer, but you have to do a little fiddling to get games to recognize it as a 360 controller, sometimes.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I hate the PS3 controller. Too light, sticks too close together, absolutely horrifically bad shoulder buttons, etc.

You're correct about the d-pad on the 360 being awful, but I rarely use it - only for selecting weapons and it does that fine (well, when going for cardinal directions. Starts getting worse if you're going 8 way.) The newer controller fixes this decently, for additional cost. No issue with me with the sticks, though, nor the buttons, and the shoulder buttons are infinitely better.

Man. The shoulder ones are what I hate the absolute most of the 360 controller. After the D-pad. I feel like I have to contort my hands to get at 'em.

The controller rests comfortably on your fingers when they're on the trigger, and in order to do so your fingers go over the top shoulder buttons. You can just nudge your finger to hit them. If you have to move your index finger to hit those, as you do on the PS3, you're holding it wrong.

It always confused me so much that PS3 games have the upper buttons as shoot, rather than the triggers. But the triggers feel so poorly designed, so...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:07 mag

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:54:
Also: I have and use an xbox 360 controller on my PC. It's kind of a piece of shit. The actual thing feels sturdy, but the D-pad is the worst of any controller I've ever used, the buttons are mushy, and the analog sticks click.

The PS3 controller is much nicer, but you have to do a little fiddling to get games to recognize it as a 360 controller, sometimes.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I hate the PS3 controller. Too light, sticks too close together, absolutely horrifically bad shoulder buttons, etc.

You're correct about the d-pad on the 360 being awful, but I rarely use it - only for selecting weapons and it does that fine (well, when going for cardinal directions. Starts getting worse if you're going 8 way.) The newer controller fixes this decently, for additional cost. No issue with me with the sticks, though, nor the buttons, and the shoulder buttons are infinitely better.

Man. The shoulder ones are what I hate the absolute most of the 360 controller. After the D-pad. I feel like I have to contort my hands to get at 'em.

24. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:04 mag

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:53:
and the analog sticks click.

When you push down on them?

...no. Specifically, when I move them left. This is probably just a defect in mine, but it's annoying.

23. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:57 PHJF

I have two dual shock 3's but after concentrated research revealed the lack of progress in the matter I gave up. Having to buy VERY SPECIFIC bluetooth dongles, having to start windows in dev mode EVERY BOOT, and then the fiasco of the driver situation itself... just wasn't worth it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:54 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:53 nin

and the analog sticks click.

When you push down on them?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:51 mag

(The D-pad is renowned for being the worst ever, but I think the other issues are probably just problems with mine)

19. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:48 PHJF

My Logi Cordless Rumblepad 2 is still in mint condition and sees use where appropriate. I haven't met a game x360ce doesn't work with.

If I were buying a pad now, though, I would definitely just bite the bullet and get a 360 pad. The rumblepad was only $30 way back when and now logi's comparable model is like $50.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:28 netnerd85

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:58:
Logitech makes an awesome 360-like controller that also works with older joypad drivers and games (the 360 controller does not) and I have seen it for as low as $20 on amazon and the like.

The 360 controller really is awesome though, and many modern PC games play better with it besides Dark Souls. Assassin's Creed is a good example.
Had to admit this last year as well. First off I had the Afterglow 360 controller, good controller but had some config issues. So I ended up buying an official controller and it's even better.

Played the following with it...

Blades of Time
Dark Souls
Saints Row 2
Ninja Blade (From Software game... Dark Souls dev)
Gas Guzzlers
ArcaniA - Gothic 4 seemed better with it too
Batman...

17. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:07 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:04:

They're pretty pricey, but imo worth it. The 360 is a great controller, and if you're on Win7 it just works right out of the box. (don't bother buying the Windows version, as all it does is come with a driver disc. Just buy the wired 360 version. Plug and go!)

The windows version I bought was wireless. Fuck cords!

That works too, you just need a wireless adapter to use the wireless controllers.

The cord doesn't bother me that much, and it saves on batteries.

Creston

16. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:04 nin

They're pretty pricey, but imo worth it. The 360 is a great controller, and if you're on Win7 it just works right out of the box. (don't bother buying the Windows version, as all it does is come with a driver disc. Just buy the wired 360 version. Plug and go!)

The windows version I bought was wireless. Fuck cords!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 15:00 SpectralMeat

It's also good for racing and flight sim games. If you do not want to drag out the wheel/pedal setup or the joystick for the flight games.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:58 StingingVelvet

Logitech makes an awesome 360-like controller that also works with older joypad drivers and games (the 360 controller does not) and I have seen it for as low as $20 on amazon and the like.

The 360 controller really is awesome though, and many modern PC games play better with it besides Dark Souls. Assassin's Creed is a good example.

13. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:54 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:50:
*EDIT*
Hrm what is different with this one: OEM White?

Are the buttons basically the same? I don't have an Xbox so these different versions look the same to me aside from color.

$19.42, getting cheaper!

*EDIT*

It's not made by Microsoft. It looks the same, but who knows about the quality. Seeing as how it has no reviews, it would seem few people feel comfy in buying one.

Creston

12. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:53 The Half Elf

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:43:
I want to try Dark Souls, it sounds interesting. $18 on amazon or $19.99 on Steam right now, the problem is I don't have a controller for my PC.

Looking around online, the xbox360 controller for PC is $50-60... is it worth it to even buy this game if the controller required to play it is basically the cost of a brand new game? Opinions please. Obviously once I HAD the controller I could consider other consolish games, but still.

At the very least am I missing some cheap controller source?

*EDIT* Ok found one as low as $36, will continue the search. How bad is Dark Souls with Keyboard/Mouse? *EDIT*

ps. Bought entirely too much off gog.com the past few weeks.

Go to Gamestop and buy one of their controllers, plug it into a usb slot and let windows install the driver for it and viola all done. Got mine for 20 bucks and works fine and I have a second 360 controller, but I use it mainly for the PC.
OR
You can buy the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows for 17 bucks on Amazon and use your regular wireless 360 controllers.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2013, 14:58.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:46:
Newegg is currently selling the 360 controller for 32 bucks and free shipping. (At least it was last Saturday when I ordered another one.)

Creston

Ah, totally forgot about Newegg. I am Amazon-centric these days it seems. $32 Newegg, we have a winner.

*EDIT*
Hrm what is different with this one: OEM White?

Are the buttons basically the same? I don't have an Xbox so these different versions look the same to me aside from color.

$19.42, getting cheaper!

*EDIT*

10. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:46 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:43:
I want to try Dark Souls, it sounds interesting. $18 on amazon or $19.99 on Steam right now, the problem is I don't have a controller for my PC.

Looking around online, the xbox360 controller for PC is $50-60... is it worth it to even buy this game if the controller required to play it is basically the cost of a brand new game? Opinions please. Obviously once I HAD the controller I could consider other consolish games, but still.

At the very least am I missing some cheap controller source?

ps. Bought entirely too much off gog.com the past few weeks.

Newegg is currently selling the 360 controller for 32 bucks and free shipping. (At least it was last Saturday when I ordered another one.)

Creston

9. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:45 AngelicPenguin

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:39:
I was gone for most of 2012 but I have bought pretty much every 2012 game I wanted in these sales. Only exception being Borderlands 2, but as a solo player it's much lower on my priority list than it would be for an online gamer.

Now I have to make the agonizing decision of which to play first. I'm thinking Dishonored or Far Cry 3.

Dino Beatdown?

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo