Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fez Ports Planned

A Polytron Corporation Blog offers the "state of the Poytron," revealing plans to port their console platformer Fez to other platforms (thanks GameInformer/VG247). Here's word, which does not specify what systems they are targeting:

2013 is going to be an interesting one, too.

For one, FEZ will finally be ported to other platforms.

Yes, iíve heard you, dozens of people emailing me everyday telling me how much of an idiot i am for not porting FEZ to everything.

We also have some exciting plans for the soundtrack, and something about a US branch?

Beyond that however, the future is uncertain for polytron.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 17:37 Ray Marden

So, the PC port is back on?

And which version? The one that corrupts all my save information, destroying everything I have played for and completed, or a working version?
As everybody said, take a look at Indie game: The movie.
Curious to see what price point they aim for, too,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 17:18 saluk

Some level of douchebaggery often goes hand in hand with real creative talent. Not to say that you have to be a dick to be creative, but they do tend to coincide often.

It doesn't make it easy to work with these people, and you often get a situation like Fez where the game takes 2 or 3 times longer to finish than it should have. But hey, the result is nice. I don't care how the sausage is made. If he is changing his mind now, maybe he's seen the light. I will forgive him if he sees the error of his ways

21. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 16:54 Dmitri_M

Arrogant, dictatorial people rarely inspire talented people to create good content. Things usually fall apart quite quickly.

If you're working on a smaller product where the dictator is actually involved in day to day runnings and contributing actual work then it's more likely to produce something.

On larger projects though these people are just a hindrance. They're better off in basements creating mods or little indie games.

20. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 16:20 Dades

There's way too many great games that don't have douchebag creators behind them making idiotic public statements. He pretty much said he doesn't think anything of the platform so why would I expect him to do a good job porting it? He said fuck the PC, fine, I say forget him then.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

19. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 15:42 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:53:
Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

I'm with you on this. I know people that can't watch anything with actors who have political positions they don't agree with. I say screw it - Alec Baldwin and Sean Penn may be nuts but they make good movies.

I'm with that on most any form of entertainment. So long as the author isn't too reprehensible* and so long as there's a pretty clear separation and whatever makes them an idiot isn't apparent in the work then I'm ok with it.

* Dilbert and Ender's Game likely fall into the "too reprehensible" category.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 15:39 Parallax Abstraction

ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:59:
Fish is a douchebag but I've come to realise that if I started boycotting every game where a douchebag was involved, I'd never play anything. The world is full of douchebags and a lot of them are creative types. I don't fault anyone who doesn't buy the game because of him, it's your money, do what you want. I just sort of reformulated my thinking to try to base viewpoints on the games and not the people behind them because doing the latter means you will find something that bothers you about nearly every creative endeavour.

Personally, I'm curious to see how it is on PC but I'd actually really love to see a Vita version. This would be great to play on my lunch hours.

The thing is, making good games is f-ing hard. It helps when the guy at the helm is arrogant, overly confident and sure of himself. Causes asses need to get kicked, decisions need to be made and work needs to be done. Sometimes it comes off as being an asshole. It's also possible to make good games without that and also assholes can make bad games...

Steve Jobs is the prime example of this (though he didn't make games.) The guy was a horrible human being in general and a nightmare to work for but look what his ideas and management style created.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

17. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 14:59 ItBurn

The thing is, making good games is f-ing hard. It helps when the guy at the helm is arrogant, overly confident and sure of himself. Causes asses need to get kicked, decisions need to be made and work needs to be done. Sometimes it comes off as being an asshole. It's also possible to make good games without that and also assholes can make bad games...

16. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

15. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 14:33 Dmitri_M

ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 11:51:
There's some people you just don't like their face you know?

Dark brimmed glasses. Check. Tufts of barely pubescent facial hair. Check. Milky neck. Check. Yeah he's a douchebag.

14. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 13:32 Rhino

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:30:
So I'll need excel to play this right?

Yeah, but to keep things simpler for the casual crowd the entire thing will be simplified down into a pivot table.

13. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 13:30 NegaDeath

So I'll need excel to play this right?  

12. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 13:09 Rhino

Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 12:21:
While I'm not a fan of Fish's attitude, I've heard that Fez is a great game. If the port is good, I'll buy it.

That's why I'm somewhat torn, here. I keep hearing good things about the game... but then Fish comes across as a complete ass where it comes to the PC. Not to mention that I am leery of the quality of the final product if he has no passion, or seemingly little interest, for the platform.

11. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 12:21 Jerykk

While I'm not a fan of Fish's attitude, I've heard that Fez is a great game. If the port is good, I'll buy it.  

10. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 12:01 Cutter

I have zero faith in those who can't even master rudimentary grammar.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 11:51 ItBurn

I saw Indie Game The Movie a week ago and the Fez dev is a big part of it. There's some people you just don't like their face you know? They tried to put him into a favorable light, but you could tell it would be a total nightmare to work with him. And from the Twitter quote, it seems that all the issues that he has in the movie were probably caused by himself.

I could be completely wrong, but the Twitter quote alone makes him a total troll.

http://constantinflux.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/phil-fish-2.jpg

8. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 Ashley

Played it all the way through (extra bit also) and I felt they didn't go as far as they could have with the puzzles. Maybe it was because they wanted to avoid alienating their typical casual players.

As for porting it? Come on! It should take less than a month to port it to an ipad let alone a pc LOL. There's nothing I saw that was beyond a simple Flash game. Heck it could be ported to HTML5 canvas too.

7. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 11:20 Verno

B-but, that's how I actually play my PC games! =\

(Yes, I know - I guess I'm part of the "single gamer living in a small apartment with his computer plugged into a huge TV screen" minority)

Exactly, tell that to the Fez creator who is dumb enough to think that PCs are just for spreadsheets

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

6. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 11:18 Parias

Verno wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:50:
I remember this guy (Phil Fish):

Fez is a console game, not a PC game," he states, emphatically. "It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that's part of the medium."

B-but, that's how I actually play my PC games! =\

(Yes, I know - I guess I'm part of the "single gamer living in a small apartment with his computer plugged into a huge TV screen" minority)

Edit:

ASeven wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:36:
This is the same guy who said stuff like this. He is the ultimate douchebag and a fucking hypocrite since now that Fez didn't make almost any money on the consoles he now changes his tune towards PC gamers.

I don't care how good this game is, I cannot in good conscience support a developer as arrogant and douchey as this fucker.

Good lord. This actually explains a lot, now.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2013, 11:23.

5. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 10:40 Omni

The soundtrack is amazing and I cant wait to play the game. Hopeful its not gonna take them 3-4 years to port it to PCs.  

4. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 10:37 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:50:
I remember this guy (Phil Fish):

Fez is a console game, not a PC game," he states, emphatically. "It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that's part of the medium." I get so many comments shouting at me that I'm an idiot for not making a PC version. 'You'd make so much more money! Can't you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!' Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It's a console game on a console. End of story."

He only recently started changing his tune after Fez underperformed on the consoles supposedly. He was also refusing to do a patch due to certification costs on the console, not sure if that ever happened or not. Not sure I want to put money into this when he has those kind of business practices, lots of other cool games to play.

That quote is truly ironic considering he's now turning to the PC to get more money. Holy shit this guy gives all indie devs a bad name.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo