Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on VR Latency

A lengthy post on the Valve Blog written by software engineer Michael Abrash discusses his work on creating a viable virtual reality headset for gaming. He goes into detail on the issues involved in reducing the latency in such devices to practical levels, saying: "If you ever thought that AR/VR was just a simple matter of showing an image on the inside of glasses or goggles, I hope that by this point in the blog it’s become clear just how complex and subtle it is to present convincing virtual images..." He discusses some of the breakthroughs they have made so far, but admits "we've only scratched the surface," saying they are now in need of "a true Kobayashi Maru moment" to break through the final physical barriers preventing practical VR. Thanks Polygon/VG247.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

5. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 12:11 Cutter

Hey Mikey, you know what we really need? HL3. Why don't you get to work on that, buddy. That's a lot more pressing than VR headsets unless you guys are turning the internet into Snow Crash in the next couple of years.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 12:03 Krizzen

I see this as a huge plus for PC gamers. Recently, game engines have really went downhill in terms of achievable performance. I remember getting hundreds of frames per second in games like Quake 2, Quake 3, Half-Life and surely many other games of the era.

Modern engines seem to adopt a certain "laziness factor" where they're released fairly unoptimized loaded with frame rate destroying crapware like scripting engines for game logic, XML file parsing of said game rules or game objects, poorly optimized PhysX CPU implementations, Scaleform for UIs (Adobe Flash; includes an HTML layout engine! Every game needs that for it's UI! Seriously? ...).

I could go on and on, but it's ridiculous how unoptimized modern games are. Lots and lots hardly even take advantage of CPU extensions like SSE that have been around for years, and a fair majority don't take advantage of multi-core CPUs.

I'm not saying there aren't game engines that aren't good, but a high demand for "this new VR thing" might push big money toward faster, leaner game engines and give us some serious performance increases.

Oh, and what better company to push VR than Valve?

3. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 11:00 Creston

Michael, go talk to the onLive guy! He cured all latency woes for onLive, so I'm sure he can conjure up some kind of "signal-speed" genie for you as well!

Creston

2. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 10:49 eRe4s3r

That was a depressing read in all aspects.... Seems no part of the hardware or software side is anywhere near where it should be.  

1. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 10:37 John

The Oculus Rift VR headset is coming along pretty nicely..  
This space is available for rent

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo