Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:14 Smellfinger

Windows 8 is a matter of too many cooks in the kitchen adding their own flavor to a meal that would be better with less ingredients. I suppose that's how you secure your future at a massive company like Microsoft. If there isn't a place for you, carve a bogus niche and ride it out as long as possible.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:54 Beamer

Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Atomic wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:28:
I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore.

Or you could have upgraded to Win7 instead, then you wouldn't have to ignore it at all, and you'd have the option of having a usable Start menu.

Does Classic Shell restore Aero? I like my transparent windows.

I never use the Start menu, either, and the Metro screen seems like a fine replacement for it to me.

Aero, though, is something that losing would bother me.

I don't blame Microsoft nearly as much as you guys for the sales, though. Yes, sales are slow. All PC sales are slow. Everyone is buying iPads, not new laptops, and I'd absolutely, 100% blame the iPad for the sales hit rather than any design decision. If it didn't exist people would still have purchased new laptops for the holidays. Instead they're sticking with their older, good-enough laptops, and very few people ever bother upgrading their OS without upgrading their PC.

Not to say it's a good OS, or whatever else, but sitting around blaming a screen the casual user doesn't even know exists seems stupid when the decline of PC sales is pretty much 98% tablets, 2% any issue with the OS.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Jan 2, 2013, 13:44 Atomic

I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore.
Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Or you could have upgraded to Win7 instead, then you wouldn't have to ignore it at all, and you'd have the option of having a usable Start menu.

So you are saying I should of paid more to retain functionality I admitted was not important to me? I'll admit, there is probably very little compelling reason for someone to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8, but coming from Vista, $40 was a no-brainer, at least to me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:36 Bodolza

Does Classic Shell restore Aero? I like my transparent windows.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:28 Atomic

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 12:13:
Is this where I quietly admit that I own a Surface and really, really like it?

Or where I admit I upgraded from Vista to Windows 8 and don't regret it? I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore. A week after the upgrade, I was shrugging over why there is so much hate for it, but to each his own, I guess.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:23 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:15:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Use that. It even has an option to make the OS boot straight to the desktop - and you can turn off the hot corners and charms. IOW, it looks and behaves exactly like Win 7.

If they had made that an option out of the box 80% of people would probably shut up about Win 8.

Ballmer's an idiot. I just wanted to add that in there.

It's a shame really, they had a ton of negative feedback about Metro and chose to ignore and release anyway. I'd rather live with a form of Metro that makes sense as opposed to disabling one of the few reasons to own the OS outside of forced sunsetting.

Unfortunately Ballmer keeps surviving this sort of thing because they've always got the business revenue to rely on. Google is going after them pretty hard this year though so maybe we'll see some shake ups.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:15 Silicon Avatar

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Use that. It even has an option to make the OS boot straight to the desktop - and you can turn off the hot corners and charms. IOW, it looks and behaves exactly like Win 7.

If they had made that an option out of the box 80% of people would probably shut up about Win 8.

Ballmer's an idiot. I just wanted to add that in there.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 12:46 NegaDeath

Ever since going back to 7 I don't even miss the few improved features of 8, the inconsistencies and annoyances aren't worth it for a 1% performance boost and shaving 3 seconds off my boot time.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 12:22 wtf_man

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 12:13:

Get a rope!

Seriously though, I played with my sister-in-law's Windows phone, and even though it was only 7.5, the tile interface wasn't bad, IMO. I still prefer IOS or Android, though.

On A desktop... I absolutely hate it. Even if I had a touch-screen monitor... I wouldn't want fingerprints all over it.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 12:13 Burrito of Peace

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 11:41 nin

Even Win XP has more than DOUBLE the share of Win8 32/64.

I was rather surprised they made a 32 bit version of 8, and didn't know it until a month or so ago.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 11:38 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:54:
The reports I receive still affirm that Win8 is closer to WinME numbers than Vista and this seems to further confirm it.
Just look at the latest Steam Survey. Even Win XP has more than DOUBLE the share of Win8 32/64.

I dont think that Balmer really expects Win 8 to be successful. Win 8 & Metro are just a quick hack to please the investors. "LOOK! We've done something to gain a share of the tablet market. Look! We do care about your monies!!"

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 11:04 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:37:
I had a coworker bring in a laptop with it and the first thing we did was install classic shell. Thankfully we're avoiding it like the plague for general roll out.

Unfortunately... there's 3 problems with that.

1. MS thinks they are getting better sales than they actually are, when a good sum of people are actually modifying the shell. That means they will get the false impression that Metro is being accepted. Paying for something and having to radically modify it so it is "acceptable" goes against the grain of consumer market support. It is far better not to purchase Windows 8 at all (or immediately Downgrade on a new machine purchase), to send the correct message.

2. Most users do not know how to modify their shell, hence Microsoft will continue to Ram this change down people's throat, as it becomes forcefully accepted. (Much like the ribbon interface in Office has migrated to Explorer)

3. For enterprise users, any shell modification or replacement introduces an extra layer for troubleshooting, no matter how stable the product may seem on a home install.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2013, 11:28.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 10:54 ASeven

The reports I receive still affirm that Win8 is closer to WinME numbers than Vista and this seems to further confirm it. If MS doesn't backtrack and do Win9 more like Win7 than 8 then I can see MS getting into real financial trouble. There's no reason whatsoever for anyone using a PC, gamer or corporation, to change from XP or 7 to 8. In fact there's encouragement to stay with XP and 7 since 8 doesn't add anything and in fact is more of a step backwards, especially when it comes to taking control away from the user.

Balmer may be hanging by a thread if these Win8 numbers don't improve soon.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 10:37 nin

wtf_man wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:23:
nin wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:44:
Windows 8 proving less popular than Vista.

Nooooo, really????

I can't believe it! I thought everyone liked having that fugly tile interface shoved down their throats!

I had a coworker bring in a laptop with it and the first thing we did was install classic shell. Thankfully we're avoiding it like the plague for general roll out.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 10:23 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:44:

Nooooo, really????

I can't believe it! I thought everyone liked having that fugly tile interface shoved down their throats!

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 10:23 avianflu

The only thing that interests me at this point is just how quickly Microsoft will sweep Windows 8 under the rug for non-tablet devices. 8 months?

I suspect PC manufacturers are across the board very unhappy with MS right now.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 10:12 Prez

That artiicle on PC troubleshooting and repair is a timely addition as I have been suffering problems while gaming on my new PC. It more or less confirms what I have come to think is the problem. I suspect the power supply is "crowbarring" (I had to look up what my PC is doing to figure out what to call it) based on what I have to do to get the PC to boot again once it shuts down during a game. That's what I get for taking a chance on a Diablotek PS I guess.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 09:47 Verno

No real major enhancements over Windows 7 or at least none that warrant the upgrade. This could be a sticking problem going forward as they raise the license costs at the end of this month. They put too much on Metro being a big ticket feature and ignored feedback from the betas.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 09:44 nin

Nooooo, really????

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo