Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 17:24 Klaus Flouride

Dades wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 16:21:
Klaus Flouride wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:52:
Why all the Win 8 hate? Is everyone really that butthurt your start menu was modified?

Put your loaded question back on yourself. It's Windows 7 with a different version number and a tablet interface, why should people get excited about that? They didn't do anything interesting or fresh, it's hard for people to care about something that seems solely designed to withdraw money from their bank account.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

I read somewhere, maybe here on Blues, that it was meant as incremental upgrade, like Vista > 7. Win 9 should be a significant upgrade over 8.

When all else fails empty the magazine...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 17:14 Silicon Avatar

Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Atomic wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:28:
I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore.

Or you could have upgraded to Win7 instead, then you wouldn't have to ignore it at all, and you'd have the option of having a usable Start menu.

Does Classic Shell restore Aero? I like my transparent windows.

It has an Aero mode for the start menu. I don't know about the rest of the windows.

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 17:09 Steele Johnson

I love Windows 8. So many improvements over Win7. It's too bad everyone is listening to the naysayers. Here are some of the things I really like:

- Boot time and shutdown time is nearly instantaneous. While your Win7 machine is chugging along loading drivers and allocating resources during boot, I'm already in a game playing.

- Syncing my settings between home machine and work machine. If I make changes on one, I can enable the change on any number of my machines without having to drill through the settings all over again.

- No more 3rd party antivirus. The new Windows Defender is built right in and doesn't bog down your machine (and actually works quite well).

- Factory Reset (i.e Refresh)! If something goes wrong, no need to dig around for installation disks, etc,. Everything is there, hidden away for a clean reset.

- Native ISO support.

- Way better resource management. All my apps that are resource hogs run much faster under Win8. Including a lot of my games.

- The Task Manager is actually useful now.

- Search functionality makes way more sense and is much faster.

- Keyboard shortcuts are so useful. You rarely need the mouse to get around the system and it's actually a faster way to navigate.

- Who needs a start menu when you have a nice small menu that has everything you need? Right-click lower left corner and voila! Everything you need.

- File History. Much better than Windows Backup and Restore. Makes way more sense!

- You can disable the Metro interface if you don't want to use it. I configure to boot right to the desktop.

- Windows To Go. If you want to use Win8 on your friend's slow Win7 machine, just plugin your flash drive and everything is compatible.

- Create your own app groups for easy access. Again, no need for a start menu or a cluttered desktop. All your most used apps are grouped nicely and easy to find.

- Multi-monitor support is MUCH better!

- SkyDrive is seamless and very useful!

- Storage Spaces is quite nice. Pool both internal and network drives to appear as one drive on your system (no more of that tedious drive letter navigation crap).

- Supports a lot more file types natively without having to download 3rd party readers, etc (e.g. PDF reader, etc).

I could go on and on. I thought I'd offer something a little positive over the average negative naysayer who's afraid of change.

37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 16:44 Dades

DangerDog wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 16:37:
Windows 8 just doesn't bring enough features to warrant upgrading from 7.

It doesn't help matters that you need to use 3rd party add-ons to bring back classic start menu to the desktop.

You got it. This is when Microsoft really needed to deliver something to get people excited for the platform again. Instead we got Metro. Them pissing over OEMs with their own hardware isn't going to help anyone but Android too.

Time for some fresh blood over there and it starts at the top, enough with Ballmer, he's had more than enough time at the helm.

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 16:37 DangerDog

Windows 8 just doesn't bring enough features to warrant upgrading from 7.

It doesn't help matters that you need to use 3rd party add-ons to bring back classic start menu to the desktop.

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 16:35 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 16:21:
Why all the Win 8 hate? Is everyone really that butthurt your start menu was modified?

Put your loaded question back on yourself. It's Windows 7 with a different version number and a tablet interface, why should people get excited about that? They didn't do anything interesting or fresh, it's hard for people to care about something that seems solely designed to withdraw money from their bank account.

Well, everything is designed to do that, no? I think Windows 8 is less about making you empty your bank account for Windows 8 and more about getting the Windows Store to critical mass so that developers acknowledge it.

And you're right, there's little reason to be excited about it. But it gets such venom. There's no chance it's as bad as most people claim it is.
Which doesn't mean it's good, it just means it won't eat your babies.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 16:21 Dades

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:52 Klaus Flouride

Why all the Win 8 hate? Is everyone really that butthurt your start menu was modified? Every game, app, pr0n, etc. I have used on it works the same as it did in previous versions of Windows. I have one laptop that has a driver issue with the Bluetooth driver and that laptop is 3 years old.

If they stuck an Apple logo on it people would be wet with anticipation to get it. Apple/Google have been getting a free pass for way the hell to long.

When all else fails empty the magazine...

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:18 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:13:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:00:
Really? The majority segment that I've been seeing in trends are android devices if anything ipads and anything apple related is sinking faster than the titanic.

From what I've seen... in the U.S., IOS devices have been pretty much out-performing Android devices as far as sales go... in Europe it has been the opposite. Probably Asia is the same as Europe, but I haven't been paying too much attention to it. I'm sure the war with Samsung is hurting Apple in Asia.

Oh, yeah, meant to qualify that my post was North America. I don't know about the EU, but I definitely suspect Asia is less Apple focused.

-------------

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:17 Beamer

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:54:
All PC sales are slow. Everyone is buying iPads, not new laptops, and I'd absolutely, 100% blame the iPad for the sales hit rather than any design decision.
Really? The majority segment that I've been seeing in trends are android devices if anything ipads and anything apple related is sinking faster than the titanic.

iPads crushed the competition.
Early Black Friday analysis had it getting 88% of tablet sales. Twitter users flocked to it, too.

It'll take a bit to know for sure, but it seems Apple dominated. Again. No surprise, while tech savvy people may go for Android instead they're the minority, and the masses think tablet = iPad. It's also much easier for them to buy. Walk into Best Buy and you see a dozen Android tablets of varying prices, varying quality, and varying home screens. You get one iPad. In that way it's like the Applebee's of tablets.

Also, 89% of notebook sales were Windows 8. Not that it means much, notebook sales were down, those that did sell were bottom of the barrel not flagship, and it isn't like much was on shelves other than Windows 8.

-------------

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:13 wtf_man

From what I've seen... in the U.S., IOS devices have been pretty much out-performing Android devices as far as sales go... in Europe it has been the opposite. Probably Asia is the same as Europe, but I haven't been paying too much attention to it. I'm sure the war with Samsung is hurting Apple in Asia.

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:13 Creston

All PC sales are slow. Everyone is buying iPads, not new laptops, and I'd absolutely, 100% blame the iPad for the sales hit rather than any design decision.

The insane crowds inside Apple stores would probably say otherwise, unless everyone is there to get their iPhones fixed.

Creston

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:11 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:39:
Well, he kept his job until now because this was the gameplan. No one would fire him when he had these coals in the fire.

Now that they're out, though... WP8 is getting good reviews and doing more or less as well as anyone could expect. Windows 8 is being burdened by falling PC sales.

It's the Surface that I think may doom him.

I sure fucking hope so.

Creston

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 15:00 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:59 NegaDeath

Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Does Classic Shell restore Aero? I like my transparent windows.

You can enable a barebones transparency mode for the taskbar but that's all. Aero is gone I'm afraid. Rounded edges, transparencies, smoked glass effects, drop shadows, all apparently "cheesy" according to MS.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:58 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 12:13:
Is this where I quietly admit that I own a Surface and really, really like it?

Given that Surface is exactly what Windows 8 was designed for, that makes a lot of sense. I just won't be putting it on either my work desktop nor my gaming desktop.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:39 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:32:
Poor Windows 8 adoption. Poor Surface sales. Non-Existant Windows Phone sales.

Yet Balmer keeps his job.

He must have all the children from the members of the Board rigged with explosives or something. How else has this meatbag not been fucking fired yet??

Creston

Well, he kept his job until now because this was the gameplan. No one would fire him when he had these coals in the fire.

Now that they're out, though... WP8 is getting good reviews and doing more or less as well as anyone could expect. Windows 8 is being burdened by falling PC sales.

It's the Surface that I think may doom him.

-------------

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:34 Creston

Prez wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:12:
That artiicle on PC troubleshooting and repair is a timely addition as I have been suffering problems while gaming on my new PC. It more or less confirms what I have come to think is the problem. I suspect the power supply is "crowbarring" (I had to look up what my PC is doing to figure out what to call it) based on what I have to do to get the PC to boot again once it shuts down during a game. That's what I get for taking a chance on a Diablotek PS I guess.

Prez, never "take a chance" on a power supply. Seriously. I know a lot of people ignore it and will just go with any old Taiwanese knock-off 500W power supply, but it's really the one bit where you need to put down some money and get yourself a good unit. You'd be better off skimping on drives, or even your video card, than on your PSU. Imo.

Creston

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:32 Creston

Poor Windows 8 adoption. Poor Surface sales. Non-Existant Windows Phone sales.

Yet Balmer keeps his job.

He must have all the children from the members of the Board rigged with explosives or something. How else has this meatbag not been fucking fired yet??

Creston

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 14:21 Beamer

Smellfinger wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:14:
Windows 8 is a matter of too many cooks in the kitchen adding their own flavor to a meal that would be better with less ingredients. I suppose that's how you secure your future at a massive company like Microsoft. If there isn't a place for you, carve a bogus niche and ride it out as long as possible.

Well, they kicked the one cook out because he wasn't good at playing nicely with others.

Otherwise I wouldn't say it was too many cooks so much as a desperate attempt to kick-start the app store every single review bashes them for not having. Misguided? Possibly. But they needed to incorporate their tablet functionality into the desktop somehow if they were going to get any kind of app store traction.

They likely didn't do it in the best possible manner. Regardless, it's everyone's desire for a tablet that's beating Windows 8 into the ground. And the whole RT confusion. Well, a lot going on, honestly.

-------------

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo