Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM

Runic Games tweets a New Year's wish that reveals the company sold over a million copies of Torchlight 2, the action/RPG sequel (thanks Joao). Here's word:

We had an amazing 2012, and proud to say that #Torchlight2 has sold over 1 million units! Thank you! Happy New Year's Eve everyone :)

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 20:38 Suppa7

The problem was torchlight 2 was the game torchlight 1 should have been. TL1 was just regurgitated shit. TL2 while better then diablo 3 had lame story and a really fucked up art aesthetic. I just couldn't dig the toony characters at all and the stupid names for classes.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 15:50 PHJF

They are not going to do serious DLC, just patch it up fully and get the editor out.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 14:52 BobBob

People are still playing Torchlight 2?  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

37. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 13:16 Verno

Anyone know if they're going to do any DLC for this? I remember Travis saying they were pretty burned out on TL content since they've been making it for 5 years now but maybe a million sales will change his mind

Looking forward to Grim Dawn hopefully sometime this year too, they are taking their time with it but the latest dev stuff looked promising.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

36. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 Axis

Verno wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 11:19:
Fantastic game, glad to see indies enjoying some deserved success. I got way more mileage out of this than D3 and even my POE beta account.

Well you clearly stated you didn't enjoy PoE.

Maybe you could be less obvious about trolling in the future. Pretty obvious you like games that hold your hand.

Yours truly,

Axis

35. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 11:19 Verno

Fantastic game, glad to see indies enjoying some deserved success. I got way more mileage out of this than D3 and even my POE beta account.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

34. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 08:23 Beamer

Dev wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 18:37:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 17:23:
I am curious to know how many 'non-sales' of Torchlight 2 there currently are.

You know, those very same things that Ubi-Soft, EA and other DRM-snorting Sara-Lee snacking vampires bemoan more greedily than Gollum did about his precious.
One could do the same minimal checking that everyone else does. Only takes a few seconds.

For instance, a quick google turns up the TPB web page with torrent stats of:

Seeders:
Leechers:

Being as those are current stats and its not months after release, and this is undoubtedly just one public torrent among many in existance (and there are many other methods) I don't think it would be too much of a reach to say hundreds of thousands at a minimum.

That's also just one of many listings on TPB, and also just the active seeds and leeches. Undoubtedly many, many more grabbed it. Since TPB doesn't have any ratio requirements, you can be sure a huge chunk of people just DL then turn off the torrent to preserve bandwith.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 03:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Dev wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 19:26:
PHJF wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 18:47:
Heck why stop at hundreds of thousands? I say a minimum of four hundred trillion. That's not too much of a reach, really.
Since thats just a bit more than the population, I'd say it is.

Not really. I pirated it 59254 times. I'm sure that's about average for most people.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

32. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 03:34 InBlack

Krizzen wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 00:31:
deqer wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 21:44:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 20:01:
It was only slightly lacking a bit in the story/cinematics department compared to Diablo 3

Well, no one can really compete with Blizzard when it comes to story/cinematics. Story/cinematics is pretty much the reason why Blizzard became my #1 company back in the day; especially the fact that they used the same software I was using at the time, 3DSMAX.

The fact they used 3DS MAX was a big deal for me too. It was very inspirational.

On topic, I would love for Runic to go dark and gritty for their next game. The cartoony, steampunk art style of Torchlight is a bit of a turn off. Still, it didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the game!

This is the main reason why I skipped T2, I hate the cartoony look. It reminds me too much of that other piece of shit game that Blizzard put out...

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 01:50 Creston

Congrats, Runic.

Only played it for a very short while, and it really didn't grab me. I obviously need to go back and play for an afternoon to see if it does any better with a longer sitting, but I have too many other things to play through first.

Creston

30. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 00:31 Krizzen

deqer wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 21:44:
It was only slightly lacking a bit in the story/cinematics department compared to Diablo 3

Well, no one can really compete with Blizzard when it comes to story/cinematics. Story/cinematics is pretty much the reason why Blizzard became my #1 company back in the day; especially the fact that they used the same software I was using at the time, 3DSMAX.

The fact they used 3DS MAX was a big deal for me too. It was very inspirational.

On topic, I would love for Runic to go dark and gritty for their next game. The cartoony, steampunk art style of Torchlight is a bit of a turn off. Still, it didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the game!

29. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 23:10 Wildone

So its a failure then. Too bad for the dev team cya on unemployment  

28. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 22:58 MisterBenn

I've had so much fun with this game. It was unapologetically focussed on the action and gameplay, the story and FMV were light and the game was priced to match. They really nailed the gameplay and put the game out untainted by modern money grabbing bullshit - they deserve all the success they get.

While you're at it Runic, feel free to release a couple more classes as DLC and take more of my money!

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

27. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 22:26 The Half Elf

But the servers have been down for hours with no dev response...  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 21:44 deqer

25. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 20:01 TheEmissary

Torchlight 2 definitely deserves success as it was a quality game. I honestly think it was one of the better ARPG games to date. It was only slightly lacking a bit in the story/cinematics department compared to Diablo 3 but that really isn't issue in this genre when you end replaying the game content.  

24. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 19:26 Dev

PHJF wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 18:47:
Heck why stop at hundreds of thousands? I say a minimum of four hundred trillion. That's not too much of a reach, really.
Since thats just a bit more than the population, I'd say it is.

23. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 18:47 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 18:37 Dev

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 17:23:
I am curious to know how many 'non-sales' of Torchlight 2 there currently are.

You know, those very same things that Ubi-Soft, EA and other DRM-snorting Sara-Lee snacking vampires bemoan more greedily than Gollum did about his precious.
One could do the same minimal checking that everyone else does. Only takes a few seconds.

For instance, a quick google turns up the TPB web page with torrent stats of:

Seeders:
Leechers:

Being as those are current stats and its not months after release, and this is undoubtedly just one public torrent among many in existance (and there are many other methods) I don't think it would be too much of a reach to say hundreds of thousands at a minimum.

21. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 1, 2013, 18:10 wtf_man

Congrats for Runic.

I personally can't get into "action-rpgs", so I can't really formulate a valid opinion one way or the other on how good the game is.

I'm happy for them over Blizzard's-shallow-cash-grab and always-online-DRM, though. I'd rather see people buy this than D3.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo