Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

The following is Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. The Walking Dead
  4. Borderlands 2
  5. Far Cry 3
  6. Arma II: Combined Operation
  7. THQ Collection
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  9. Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package
  10. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 18:12 Jerykk

AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 14:32:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:36:
Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC

I thought Batman's played great with a k/m. I bet faster then a controller.

I played Batman AA with keyboard/mouse, but for a goof tried AC with an xbox controller - I thought the controller was better honestly, and I play pretty much everything with keyboard. It was just far easier to do the combat, imho.

To each their own. Having to double-tap the D-pad to quick use your gadgets wasn't as intuitive as double-tapping the number keys to me. Also, flying was easier with the mouse because you could adjust the sensitivity in the cfg file.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 16:25 Dades

Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC

I thought it was better with a controller, rarely seen a beat em up that was better with keyboard and mouse. There is no difference in input speed.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

34. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 14:32 AngelicPenguin

I played Batman AA with keyboard/mouse, but for a goof tried AC with an xbox controller - I thought the controller was better honestly, and I play pretty much everything with keyboard. It was just far easier to do the combat, imho.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 12:57 jacobvandy

No possible way. Digital linear movement with 4 keys is inferior to analog stick for the purposes of third-person platforming, plus the button-mashing combat deserves just that, buttons to mash. Sleeping Dogs is another one that was great on the controller due to it's heavy emphasis on melee, though there were a couple of missions that were very gun-centric that had me switch to KB/M temporarily for the aim.  

32. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 11:05 HorrorScope

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 08:38 John

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 05:24:
GAH Warthog went on a flash sale!
Yeah, I picked it up when it went on the community vote sale. It looks pretty good but I think I'll need a better flight stick for it.
Dev wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 08:36:
While it sounds like it has awesome graphics and sounds, its also a very accurate simulation, so it would require a huge investment in time to learn everything. I thought about it and decided I'd rather have something more like the old Jetfighter games, where it gives you a feeling that you are flying a flight sim in combat, but has all the tedious details removed.
It has a basic mode where you don't have to learn all the details too.

This space is available for rent

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 08:36 Dev

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 05:24:
Its on a flash sale now. I thought about getting it, but after reading reviews I think I'll wait. While it sounds like it has awesome graphics and sounds, its also a very accurate simulation, so it would require a huge investment in time to learn everything. I thought about it and decided I'd rather have something more like the old Jetfighter games, where it gives you a feeling that you are flying a flight sim in combat, but has all the tedious details removed.

Maybe someday if I have a better dual joystick setup, and lots of time, and it goes on another good sale.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 05:24 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2012, 02:41 MisterBenn

Dev wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 23:16:
The only case in which it would actually matter is if you were buying during the last 15 mins of the sale.

I think I was near the deadline as the timer was at 6 minutes the first time I saw it, but it's not impossible I screwed up since it's the first time I bought from Green Man Games. Once it kicked me out, I tried to reinput the voucher code (the one from TB's video) and it told me the code was no longer valid. Since the difference was less than £1 I didn't check any harder than that.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 23:30 Jerykk

Asmodai wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:14:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 20:33:
New Vegas has been on sale like 500 times over the past few years... how cheap do you want it to go? I believe it's gone as low as $5 before (non-Ultimate edition). GMG currently has the regular edition for $7 if you use this coupon code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831. Considering that FNV is the best RPG since Arcanum and has 100+ hours of gameplay, that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/fallout-new-vegas/

That game abused me horribly when it picked up a bug in the save game (despite all the precautions) on the ghoul rocket mission about 60 hours in. The corruption didn't really start biting me in the ass until about 120 hours at which point the game was not able to be finished (crashed every time I entered Hoover dam for the final confrontation).

Loved the game but the bugs let me down on it. Never actually played any of the DLC despite owning them all...

I luckily never encountered any critical bugs. There's a community patch out right now that might fix your issue.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104

Since the game ends after the Hoover finale anyway, you might as well try the DLC with the patch and test your luck. They're definitely worth playing.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 23:16 Dev

MisterBenn wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:15:
Yep - Civ 5 Gods and Kings for UK£2.99 from GMG can't be bad! It should have been £2.10 with the voucher but their payment page went wrong on me (said my payment had been refused before I'd even entered any payment details then emptied my basket) and then I missed the voucher deadline!
You know that automatic 15 minute timer they put into every single person's cart on every single item on GMG, does NOT mean the voucher expires then, right?
If something is "expired" after the 15 mins, you just go back to home page, re-add to cart again, re-add voucher again and its ok again. The 15 min thing is mostly to encourage you to impulse buy (yeah it says price guarantee, but that is fairly meaningless). The only case in which it would actually matter is if you were buying during the last 15 mins of the sale.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 22:47 Orphic Resonance

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:59:
A controller for Batman and Assassin's Creed? You're smoking crack, obviously.

considering that is the control scheme they were designed for, it seems that YOU are the one smoking crack

crazy shit, huh

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:59 ForgedReality

Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC, Tony Hawk HD, pretty much every single racing game, etc. Every PC gamer should have a gamepad for those types of games. KB/M support is there, but using it is like walking around on a broken ankle... It's not a knock against the game, IMO, but I can understand not wanting to play it if you don't have that option (yet).

So once you've got the controller, all you need is DSFix for high-resolution visuals, and Dark Souls PC is the only way to die, die, and die again with dignity. Eliminating performance issues alone makes it 100x better than on consoles.

A controller for Batman and Assassin's Creed? You're smoking crack, obviously.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:36 jacobvandy

Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC, Tony Hawk HD, pretty much every single racing game, etc. Every PC gamer should have a gamepad for those types of games. KB/M support is there, but using it is like walking around on a broken ankle... It's not a knock against the game, IMO, but I can understand not wanting to play it if you don't have that option (yet).

So once you've got the controller, all you need is DSFix for high-resolution visuals, and Dark Souls PC is the only way to die, die, and die again with dignity. Eliminating performance issues alone makes it 100x better than on consoles.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Asmodai wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:14:
That game abused me horribly when it picked up a bug in the save game (despite all the precautions) on the ghoul rocket mission about 60 hours in.
I've never once run into that, and I've got 407 hours played according to steam. The only one that really got me was the one bug with veronica and "I could make you care" with her dialog not catching at key points.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:15 MisterBenn

Yep - Civ 5 Gods and Kings for UK£2.99 from GMG can't be bad! It should have been £2.10 with the voucher but their payment page went wrong on me (said my payment had been refused before I'd even entered any payment details then emptied my basket) and then I missed the voucher deadline! I think I'll survive, it was dead cheap anyway. I tried G&K before and it is a big improvement, it makes Civ 5 a lot more bearable after the disappointment of some of the changes they made over 4.  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:14 Asmodai

Jerykk wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 20:33:
New Vegas has been on sale like 500 times over the past few years... how cheap do you want it to go? I believe it's gone as low as $5 before (non-Ultimate edition). GMG currently has the regular edition for $7 if you use this coupon code: GMG30-DPLIM-DN831. Considering that FNV is the best RPG since Arcanum and has 100+ hours of gameplay, that's a pretty good deal.

That game abused me horribly when it picked up a bug in the save game (despite all the precautions) on the ghoul rocket mission about 60 hours in. The corruption didn't really start biting me in the ass until about 120 hours at which point the game was not able to be finished (crashed every time I entered Hoover dam for the final confrontation).

Loved the game but the bugs let me down on it. Never actually played any of the DLC despite owning them all...

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 21:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 19:36:
Sad to see all the repeating sales. Hoping for a good Fallout New Vegas sale...!
Really? It was on sale for 75% off last month.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 20:33 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 19:37:
Thanks jacobvandy and Jerykk!

I almost hit the add to cart button on Dark Souls, until the guy after you mentioned the horribly keyboard & mouse feel. I guess I need to explore the reception of DS some more before I decide.

Jarykk, very interestimg what you wrote! BUT... is it just me or is the trial & error thing in stealth games kinda what makes them interesting? As a matter of fact In games Like Deus Ex 3 I didnt buy the upgrades that make you see vision cones and the radial sound feedback thing. The NOT knowing how much noise you can or shouldnt make adds to the immersion and fun of stealth. Dear god do I hope Thief 4 won't have all that stuff MotN has...

But for a 2d game it sounds fun! Will buy it!

I think the fun in stealth games comes from observing enemy positions and patrols, formulating a plan to sneak past them and then executing that plan. While I do like testing the limits of AI, I don't particularly enjoy it when I get screwed because of some tiny miscalculation in terms of AI detection range. For example, in Hitman Absolution, you can run while crouched but you never really get a clear sense of how much noise you're making. You just kinda have to guess and if you guess wrong, sucks for you, now restart the level. If a game has quicksave, I don't have an issue with trial and error but if there are sparse checkpoints or I have to restart the level, anything that minimizes trial and error is ideal.

Sad to see all the repeating sales. Hoping for a good Fallout New Vegas sale...!

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2012, 20:42.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2012, 19:37 Quinn

Thanks jacobvandy and Jerykk!

I almost hit the add to cart button on Dark Souls, until the guy after you mentioned the horribly keyboard & mouse feel. I guess I need to explore the reception of DS some more before I decide.

Jarykk, very interestimg what you wrote! BUT... is it just me or is the trial & error thing in stealth games kinda what makes them interesting? As a matter of fact In games Like Deus Ex 3 I didnt buy the upgrades that make you see vision cones and the radial sound feedback thing. The NOT knowing how much noise you can or shouldnt make adds to the immersion and fun of stealth. Dear god do I hope Thief 4 won't have all that stuff MotN has...

But for a 2d game it sounds fun! Will buy it!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo