Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 12:49 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 06:49:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:49:
Let's see...

The mere fact that you have random people roaming around in an enormous survival sandbox leads to some of the most exciting and dynamic gameplay you'll ever experience. At least until you become jaded and shoot on sight, lol... Usually by then you've conquered the survival aspect and no longer fear the zombies, so it's mostly about PvP. But even then, the attachment you develop to your uber gear and current character (BECAUSE it's usually hard and takes a long time to build up), makes every encounter meaningful.

So by your own admission the zombies are completely pointless despite the fact that they get star billing in the game. Everything you just outlined about what you think makes DayZ awesome is in a dozen other mods that don't rely on a cliche zombie mechanic (Wasteland is one example that runs on Arma II) and will actually give you some things to accomplish beyond "see how long you can survive in a world filled with people who are assholes just because they can be". Unless you are that asshole, there's little entertainment to be found there.

Yes, you took the words right out of my mouth... Rolleyes

I didn't say the zombies were pointless. There have been countless occasions where a fight has been made much more challenging by the fact that the horde comes running toward gunfire. It encourages stealth vs. willy-nilly shooting, and if your enemy gets caught up with zeds, they lead you right to where he's hiding or even finish him off for you.

As an experienced, high-level player, I no longer fear the zombies because I know how they act, I know how to best avoid getting into trouble with them, and I can land headshots to take them out when I need to. The majority of more casual (i.e. not putting in 12-hour sessions on a regular basis for months at a time) players are still terrified and stymied, struggling to get to the "end game" of PvP because they haven't figured out how to (or just can't) survive. Or they simply prefer to co-operate and only defend themselves when necessary. It's the mixture of that PvE survival and unpredictable PvP that makes DayZ so good, if I have to spell it out for you so clearly you are unable to misunderstand...

I've heard good things about Wasteland, though I haven't played it. The fact is though, no other mod, let alone ARMA 2 mod, exploded in popularity as DayZ did this year. There is good reason for it, even if half of it is hype. There is no question that it was THE mod of 2012. Period.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 xXBatmanXx

Well, looking at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_video_gaming

Nominations for me:
D3
Max Payne 3
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
Lego Batman 2
Sleeping Dogs
CS GO
The Walking Dead
Torchlight 2
Retro City Rampage
Hotline Miami (for the soundtrack alone!)
Deadlight
BL2
Black Ops 2
Far Cry 3

The only one in that list I didn't play is FC3, but probably pull the trigger today.....there are lots of others I didn't play, so can't really put them in the list....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 08:40 DG

Mark of the Ninja gets a mention in several of those GOTY articles, 50% off today on Steam.

Is it a must-buy? I have tons of games still to play including XCOM and Dishonoured as it is, and I can't put down Planetside 2.

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 06:49 Panickd

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:49:
Let's see...

The mere fact that you have random people roaming around in an enormous survival sandbox leads to some of the most exciting and dynamic gameplay you'll ever experience. At least until you become jaded and shoot on sight, lol... Usually by then you've conquered the survival aspect and no longer fear the zombies, so it's mostly about PvP. But even then, the attachment you develop to your uber gear and current character (BECAUSE it's usually hard and takes a long time to build up), makes every encounter meaningful.

So by your own admission the zombies are completely pointless despite the fact that they get star billing in the game. Everything you just outlined about what you think makes DayZ awesome is in a dozen other mods that don't rely on a cliche zombie mechanic (Wasteland is one example that runs on Arma II) and will actually give you some things to accomplish beyond "see how long you can survive in a world filled with people who are assholes just because they can be". Unless you are that asshole, there's little entertainment to be found there.

15. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 03:53 Kitkoan

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:55:
i think it sucks

hows that? are you happy now?

No, that's a pathetic answer and is completely in line with your entire trolling of this whole thing.

Why does it suck? You wanted jdreyer to explain why he thought it was good, but you can't even say one reason why you didn't like it.

Honestly, you seem more like a trolling hipster that wants to claim its bad only because others like it, with zero other reason other then others liked it.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 03:12 Orphic Resonance

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 00:51:
Second, are you really so stupid as to be unable to research an FPS without playing it and make an informed opinion about it?

wait a second - so you have never even played DayZ, but you are sure that it deserves a mod of the year award...

and I am the stupid one?

looks like you dont even know what the word "stupid" means

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 02:55 Orphic Resonance

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:43:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:08:
yeh, didnt think so

Ok, your turn. I'm sure you must have millions of hours logged into DayZ that your word is all but gospel at this point. So, enlighten us with your masterful viewpoint of this game, and allow us to bask in you telling us how many millions of hours you have played of it. And how it doesn't compare to other mods out there?

i think it sucks

hows that? are you happy now?

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 02:49 jacobvandy

Let's see...

- People like to talk in global chat about where they are, where they're going, who they're with, what they're doing, etc. This alone has led to ENDLESS entertainment playing as a bandit, and in extreme cases being accused of hacking because "there's no way you could have known!" Ranges from pure stupidity on their part in broadcasting their location to some really interesting detective work that you can do to track them.

- Glitches in some gameplay mechanics, namely zombies not spawning when you're in a vehicle and being able to see entities such as animals and zeds represented by transparent dots along the periphery of the screen, leads to highly efficient player hunting. You can drive up and down major roads and be alerted to the presence of other people by the appearance of zombies. Also handy for looting in peace.

- More PvP fun includes: camping inside major cities or other popular looting locations, acting as counter-bandit to the previous by following the complaints and gunshots, laying traps in/on vehicles because they are player MAGNETS, playing a proper bandit by putting in the effort to merely rob people rather than treat them as pinatas, or take it further and set up toll checkpoints to force people to pay tribute to pass/enter.

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 02:43 Kitkoan

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 02:08:
yeh, didnt think so

Ok, your turn. I'm sure you must have millions of hours logged into DayZ that your word is all but gospel at this point. So, enlighten us with your masterful viewpoint of this game, and allow us to bask in you telling us how many millions of hours you have played of it. And how it doesn't compare to other mods out there?

Or you can keep trolling, badly. Your call.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 02:08 Orphic Resonance

yeh, didnt think so  

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2012, 00:51 jdreyer

Orphic Resonance wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 23:38:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 23:14:
I didn't play it

wow then you must be uniquely qualified to comment on it extensively

Given the number of players (millions) and endless varieties of emergent gameplay it allowed, it seems to me an obvious and deserving choice. Flawed to be sure but also fresh with real stakes. If not DayZ, what would you have chosen?

well, how can we even begin to debate? you are the expert!

but perhaps, just perhaps - you could give a few examples of the "endless varieties of emergent gameplay" based on your complete lack of experience actually playing the game for even one moment

First, I never claimed to have an expert opinion. Second, are you really so stupid as to be unable to research an FPS without playing it and make an informed opinion about it? It's not rocket science.

Also, I noticed that no one has offered an alternative to this for mod of the year. It's fine to naysay, but without offering a comparison point your negative comments carry much less weight.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 23:38 Orphic Resonance

I didn't play it

wow then you must be uniquely qualified to comment on it extensively

Given the number of players (millions) and endless varieties of emergent gameplay it allowed, it seems to me an obvious and deserving choice. Flawed to be sure but also fresh with real stakes. If not DayZ, what would you have chosen?

well, how can we even begin to debate? you are the expert!

but perhaps, just perhaps - you could give a few examples of the "endless varieties of emergent gameplay" based on your complete lack of experience actually playing the game for even one moment

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 23:14 jdreyer

Panickd wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 20:22:
I am not sure DayZ deserves "Mod of the Year". It was certainly hyped to holy hell but it's got no more gameplay in it than: spend several hours belly crawling to collect all the shit you need to survive so as not to anger the zombies, get randomly shot by some asshole in an helicopter or some asshat with a sniper rifle, respawn, repeat. I was over it inside a few hours.

I didn't play it, but I listened to lots of podcasts and watched vids of it, the only mod to inspire me to do so. Given the number of players (millions) and endless varieties of emergent gameplay it allowed, it seems to me an obvious and deserving choice. Flawed to be sure but also fresh with real stakes. If not DayZ, what would you have chosen?

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 22:53 Orphic Resonance

it gets "mod of the year" because people are mindless zombies, and zombies are the "in" thing right now...

hmmm i wonder why? ....

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 20:22 Panickd

I am not sure DayZ deserves "Mod of the Year". It was certainly hyped to holy hell but it's got no more gameplay in it than: spend several hours belly crawling to collect all the shit you need to survive so as not to anger the zombies, get randomly shot by some asshole in an helicopter or some asshat with a sniper rifle, respawn, repeat. I was over it inside a few hours.  

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 17:33 dj LiTh

I've played pretty much everything this year thats big except for Guild Wars 2, for me my GOTY is definitely XCOM. However i think this might be in someway part to the older i get the less i find FPS appealing.  

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 17:23 Ozmodan

Fez is Eurogamer's game of the year? Sometimes I wonder about these writers. Not a bad game, the kids like it, but it's blocky graphics are a turn off for me.  

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 15:02 Cyanotetyphas

Yeah video games are like books it takes a year to catch up with everything usually.

Actually nobody reads so they're not really like books, but still.

Off of most of these lists I've pretty much only gotten through Journey. Pretty great.

Binding of Isaac is my delayed GOTY.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 30, 2012, 14:05 jdreyer

My GOTY is XCom, but I admittedly haven't played everything released this year, such as BL 2 or Dishonored.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo