Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Tech Report - Improving the PC as a gaming platform: the hardware.
The new spec would clearly involve some compromises, since you can't simply step up and demand that every new computer feature a Radeon 7970, 32GB of RAM, and a six-core CPU with Hyperthingamabobs. However, let's take a page from our own System Guide's Econobox. MPC-HD could set the bar at, say, a Radeon 7770 graphics card ($120 or so) and a Core i3-3220 processor (around $130). Those components provide solid gaming performance at 1080p in the vast majority of titles, even with anti-aliasing enabled. They would be a perfectly reasonable baseline to aim for—one that provides many times the horsepower of current-generations consoles.

Setting a baseline would make life easier for developers, as well. Let's imagine MPC-HD has multiple levels, and when publishing your game, you can simply state that the minimum requirement is MPC-HD Level 1. That's easy for developers to code for, easy for buyers to follow, and easy for manufacturers to advertise and profit from. One can only wish.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 20:39 Enahs

It is pretty easy to do. And this is what Futuremark should have done and promoted their benchmarks for.

You get a score for CPU and a score for GPU/3D. Keep the score on the same playing field/level from revisions.

And then when a manufacture builds a system, they report the GPU and CPU scores, and games have on the system reqs the same.

Problem solved.

Not perfect, but would work really damn well.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 20:13 mag

Axis wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 19:58:
I guess if you are console-brained, messing with settings and tinkering with hardware may give you sad panda face.

For PC gamers, the majority PREFER to tweak to their tastes. We've seen it a million times before and if we wanted that guess what - we'd buy a console.

He's not saying anything 'wild, crazy new or otherwise', it's been said many times over the years... article to the trash bin.

I love messing with my hardware, but the commonality for PC gamers should be in... playing games on a PC, not in fighting with the machine. What he's saying is pretty obvious. Slap a label on a PC that says it can/can not play games, so that neophytes can get their toes wet.

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 19:58 Axis

I guess if you are console-brained, messing with settings and tinkering with hardware may give you sad panda face.

For PC gamers, the majority PREFER to tweak to their tastes. We've seen it a million times before and if we wanted that guess what - we'd buy a console.

He's not saying anything 'wild, crazy new or otherwise', it's been said many times over the years... article to the trash bin.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 19:31 mag

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 18:33:
Rigs wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 17:50:
CPU: Core i3/2.xghz (SandyBridge-2012)
RAM: 12gb DDR3/1600
Video: AMD Radeon 7770/2gb

How is that confusing?

Because Granny Smith/Mom Smith has no idea what the fuck any of that means when they are buying games for little Billy. In fact, the people who actually know the specifics of their machines are a very, very small margin in the worldwide computer ownership numbers. Most people will say "It has Windows" or "It's a Dell"...because all they know are name brands.

Ergo, this, and any, attempt at a technical standard will fall flat on its face.

What's faster, a Radeon 6950 or a Radeon 7770? What's faster, a GTX 680 or an Intel HD 4000? An i5 3750k or an i7 2600k? An i5 3570/3.4GHz or an AMD FX 8350/4.0GHz

Is DDR3/1066 faster than DDR2/800?

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 18:33 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 17:50:

How is that confusing?

Because Granny Smith/Mom Smith has no idea what the fuck any of that means when they are buying games for little Billy. In fact, the people who actually know the specifics of their machines are a very, very small margin in the worldwide computer ownership numbers. Most people will say "It has Windows" or "It's a Dell"...because all they know are name brands.

Ergo, this, and any, attempt at a technical standard will fall flat on its face.

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:50 Rigs

There are three things that define performance on the PC currently...CPU, RAM and Video Card. Plaster all three on a box and you have your standard! For the CPU, all you need to do in addition to the name of the processor is give the year of release, like Core i3/2.xghz(2012) or maybe even the chipset like...Core i3/2.xghz (Sandy Bridge-2012). Why is that so hard?! It's not. Don't make it harder by having to translate one number into another. You could easily put these on the box and be done with it...

How is that confusing? Problem solved.

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:49 Jensen

One of the comments brought up Steam. They have their Hardware & Software Survey. They could allow games to report back framerate statistics, and do all sorts of data analysis and share it with users. Myabe some interactive thing.  

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 17:38 Wallshadows

Model numbers never seem to match up with performance, so people have to look at other attributes like clock speed or core count. We then end up with talk like, "But this one here has four cores, surely it must play games better than the one with two"—or the good old, "But this one has more gigahertz!"

Except even then it's not always as clear as it can be without actually knowing the difference between the core architecture, socket type, and so forth from within the same manufacturer let alone two. It's kind of like when Intel came out with the Conroe/Allendale with lower speed SKUS and smoked the previous generation Prescott processors of much higher speed.

For a long time now, there have been box specs provided for both Intel and AMD processors because of their differences so you can't just slap a processor speed or define what an 'MPC-HD1' processor based on the amount of cores which it has and call it a day. Either way, there will still need to be tech specs so the average Joe doesn't think his Q6600 is up to snuff in spite of meeting that quad core criteria.

The same applied for any other piece of hardware, really.

It's either that or we simply homogenize the industry and eliminate competition if such a rating system were developed.

My two cents if I understand it correctly anyway...

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 29, 2012, 16:55 HorrorScope

There is a standard, not saying it's good or not but it's called "System Rating".  

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2012, 13:39 Burrito of Peace

We had this years ago when I first entered the hardware engineering field, it was called the MPC Standard and it also had levels.

It fell by the wayside then and it will do so now. Manufacturers don't give a rat's ass about maintaining a standard when they can coerce encourage you to buy their name brand over and over.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo