Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer

Here's a new trailer highlighting the story in Aliens: Colonial Marines. Unsure if this will be a romantic comedy or a period drama? This clip will help sort things out.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 29, 2012, 20:32 Quinn

This will suck. Mark my words.

What you need to do with a game when the enemy is absolute evil and is impossible to reason with, is to another kinda layer to it that adds depth. I've seen the early footage and this garbage, and it goes without saying that this will be another Serious Sam wrapped in a Aliens disguise. Just let them come a'zergin'!

Bah.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 29, 2012, 12:46 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 08:29:
You guys are angry now, just wait until Ridley finds a way to bridge Blade Runner in to the Alien universe!

Noomi Rapace is replaced with Harrison Ford in the sequel.

Good lord man, don't even think that!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 29, 2012, 08:29 Wallshadows

You guys are angry now, just wait until Ridley finds a way to bridge Blade Runner in to the Alien universe!

Noomi Rapace is replaced with Harrison Ford in the sequel.

26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 29, 2012, 01:38 Dades

Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:37:
Just because I enjoyed a movie that you did not, does not make me uncultured. It's ridiculous to even insinuate such a thing. You're just being insulting for the sake of being insulting.

You implied exactly the same thing earlier, trying to paint people who didn't like the movie as if they didn't somehow understand it. Not that it is even a difficult film to grasp, it isn't exactly subtle with its symbolism and cultural references and the presence of those things doesn't make it a good film.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 29, 2012, 00:43 jacobvandy

What was all that bullshit about Prometheous *not* being a prequel to Alien? I'm not even really a fan of the series, the only one I've seen in full is Aliens, and it was OBVIOUS to me that there's a direct connection.  

24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 23:37 DangerDog

I can't blame Ridley for going forward and making prometheus, he probably though things would work themselves out in pre-production or something. Alien was fairly different in its conception form before they committed to actually making it.

It just didn't work out this time. Just shows that it's difficult to capture lightning in the bottle that Alien turned out to be.

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 22:52 WhyYouLoveMe

What. That's the worst voice acting I've heard in a long time. Maybe an option to turn off spoken audio...

Aliens = best monster ever created

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 22:40 Teddy

Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:37:
1badmf wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:12:
it was frankly shocking how much better KoH director's cut was compared to the theatrical release.

as for prometheus, i hafta agree with dades - it wasn't a salvageable script. just because it had a bit of subtlety thematically doesn't overcome the incredibly braindead plot or characters. a great movie can't be that flawed and still be great. trev you imply that those of us that didn't like it, simply didn't understand it. i hafta say, dude, it wasn't that difficult to grasp at all, and it still sucked. big donkey dick. if you thought it was that complex, maybe it's you that needs to expose yourself to more art and culture, and eventually you'll see that its subtext end up being more insulting than enriching.

Just because I enjoyed a movie that you did not, does not make me uncultured. It's ridiculous to even insinuate such a thing. You're just being insulting for the sake of being insulting.

Conversely, just because he didn't like a movie that you did, doesn't mean he didn't understand the movie and you did. It's ridiculous to even insinuate such a thing.

Funny how it's alright in your mind to insinuate that people are too stupid to 'understand' a movie, and yet insulting for someone else to suggest you don't 'understand' art and culture.

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 21:37 Trevellian

1badmf wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:12:
it was frankly shocking how much better KoH director's cut was compared to the theatrical release.

as for prometheus, i hafta agree with dades - it wasn't a salvageable script. just because it had a bit of subtlety thematically doesn't overcome the incredibly braindead plot or characters. a great movie can't be that flawed and still be great. trev you imply that those of us that didn't like it, simply didn't understand it. i hafta say, dude, it wasn't that difficult to grasp at all, and it still sucked. big donkey dick. if you thought it was that complex, maybe it's you that needs to expose yourself to more art and culture, and eventually you'll see that its subtext end up being more insulting than enriching.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 21:25 Muscular Beaver

Not impressed. Looks like a generic console game. The models are horrible, the scenery looks extremely limited, the textures look laughable and the animations look like they are from 2004.
Sick of console ports.
Just watched an older gameplay video from August. What a joke... "Alien kill +$100", "Achievement unlocked!", "Challenge complete!", "DOUBLE KILL!".
W T F ???

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2012, 21:31.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 21:12 1badmf

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 20:57 Dades

The deleted scenes in the extended edition don't salvage the movie, just explain some of the larger inconsistencies. Kingdom of Heaven was a different story, it should have just been a longer film and suffered greatly from editing alone. The same can't be said for Prometheus which is an average film made by a great director, I blame the shitty Lindelhof script as there are a ton of logical holes in it.

17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 20:53 Trevellian

Dades wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 20:12:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 19:00:
The movie was terrible to you, not people who understood it, it's intentions and where it was to lead. Once again, opinions. I never went into Prometheus expecting it to directly link up to Alien at the end because I knew that was what he was avoiding.

Sure opinions but Prometheus is not exactly a complex or difficult to understand film. Plenty of people saw the unsubtle allegories and symbolism but still didn't like it because as Jerykk mentioned, it was filled with inconsistencies and had the usual Damon Lindelhof script treatment. Prometheus was almost a large budget B flick as a result of that and the cutting room, the differences between the theatrical and extended are jarring.

Scott's extended versions being superior to the theatrical versions are sort of a running theme unfortunately. I actually got into an argument over Kingdom of Heaven with a friend when I saw it because he didn't understand the motivation for killing the priest at the beginning, without spoiling anything for anyone who may not have seen it, there is about 20 minutes prior to that in the Extended cut that cause it to actually make sense. I don't understand why this consistently happens to Scott's films, you'd think people would just trust his instincts by now based on how much more people buy his Extended/Director's Cuts than the originals.

For the Republic

16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 20:12 Dades

Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 19:00:
The movie was terrible to you, not people who understood it, it's intentions and where it was to lead. Once again, opinions. I never went into Prometheus expecting it to directly link up to Alien at the end because I knew that was what he was avoiding.

Sure opinions but Prometheus is not exactly a complex or difficult to understand film. Plenty of people saw the unsubtle allegories and symbolism but still didn't like it because as Jerykk mentioned, it was filled with inconsistencies and had the usual Damon Lindelhof script treatment. Prometheus was almost a large budget B flick as a result of that and the cutting room, the differences between the theatrical and extended are jarring.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 19:00 Trevellian

Jerykk wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 18:10:
Aliens shooters are extremely stale. We've already had AvP Jaguar, AvP PC, AvP2, AvP 2010, Alien Trilogy, Aliens Online and Alien Resurrection. In each one, the marine experience is pretty much the same. Colonial Marines looks no different in that regard.

If you're going to make a game using the Alien franchise, you need to do something interesting with it. The Alien RPG had potential but it was cancelled. CM doesn't look compelling at all.

The game looks great period, regardless of your opinion. There have always been hybrid aliens, and multiple kinds of Aliens, where you get this random fucking concept that there is 1 type of alien is beyond me, there are Warriors, Queens, Drones, Facehuggers, Aliens from dogs look different and move different. Prometheus introduced the fact there is even more evolution in the time period between it and the original Alien movie as well. It's been in all the movies, it's canon. The bottom line is, you don't dictate what is canon, Ridley Scott does. He had plenty of input on this game working WITH Gearbox, so if it's in there, guess what, it's now Canon.

You probably shouldn't mention Prometheus in relation to Alien canon. Prometheus had so many logic holes and inconsistencies that there's no way to tie it to Alien without breaking everything. Secondly, of the four Alien films (excluding the AVP films), Scott was only involved in the first one. There were no colonial marines in Alien. James Cameron's Aliens is clearly the inspiration for Colonial Marines and thus, his input would be the most relevant. However, he hasn't been involved with the game at all. Also, Scott didn't even provide input on the game either. Some Gearbox people were apparently invited to look at the Prometheus script but that's it. Since Prometheus was terrible and has an extremely tenuous connection to the Alien franchise, getting a sneak peek at the script doesn't mean much.

In conclusion: Prometheus sucked and Ridley Scott is not the sole authority on Aliens canon.

The intention was to have sequels to Prometheus to bridge the gap between it and the Pilot ship crashing on LV426 for Alien. They are already persueing the first sequel. It will most likely happen. This is why the first film did not intentionally hook up to Alien directly. Thus it is still Canon in the Alien universe as far as Scott is concerned.

For the Republic

14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 18:32 Jivaro

If Prometheus and Alien were the only two movies in the series things would line up just fine. (for the most part) Just saying that to point out that Scott has been consistent....even if Prometheus as a movie was a bit lackluster.

As for the game....I am looking forward to it. I don't expect a lot from it however and I doubt seriously I will buy it immediately upon release. It doesn't seem to be bringing anything really new to the table that would encourage me to jump on it straight away. At least not based on what has been shown up until now. I am looking at it more like I look forward to the next Serious Sam game...brainless fun set in a universe/atmosphere that I find entertaining but not overly original.

13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 18:10 Jerykk

Aliens shooters are extremely stale. We've already had AvP Jaguar, AvP PC, AvP2, AvP 2010, Alien Trilogy, Aliens Online and Alien Resurrection. In each one, the marine experience is pretty much the same. Colonial Marines looks no different in that regard.

If you're going to make a game using the Alien franchise, you need to do something interesting with it. The Alien RPG had potential but it was cancelled. CM doesn't look compelling at all.

The game looks great period, regardless of your opinion. There have always been hybrid aliens, and multiple kinds of Aliens, where you get this random fucking concept that there is 1 type of alien is beyond me, there are Warriors, Queens, Drones, Facehuggers, Aliens from dogs look different and move different. Prometheus introduced the fact there is even more evolution in the time period between it and the original Alien movie as well. It's been in all the movies, it's canon. The bottom line is, you don't dictate what is canon, Ridley Scott does. He had plenty of input on this game working WITH Gearbox, so if it's in there, guess what, it's now Canon.

You probably shouldn't mention Prometheus in relation to Alien canon. Prometheus had so many logic holes and inconsistencies that there's no way to tie it to Alien without breaking everything. Secondly, of the four Alien films (excluding the AVP films), Scott was only involved in the first one. There were no colonial marines in Alien. James Cameron's Aliens is clearly the inspiration for Colonial Marines and thus, his input would be the most relevant. However, he hasn't been involved with the game at all. Also, Scott didn't even provide input on the game either. Some Gearbox people were apparently invited to look at the Prometheus script but that's it. Since Prometheus was terrible and has an extremely tenuous connection to the Alien franchise, getting a sneak peek at the script doesn't mean much.

In conclusion: Prometheus sucked and Ridley Scott is not the sole authority on Aliens canon.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2012, 18:23.

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 18:01 DangerDog

cringe worthy  

11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 15:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Looks like a period drama. Though I missed the part about tea.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 14:26 Trevellian

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 13:57:
Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 13:17:
I have high hopes for it, but only because Borderlands 2 proved they had learned their lesson on the PC as far as interface and graphics options. That and they have some of the best drop in drop out gameplay on Steamworks with BL2 and are supposedly sticking with that system for this Aliens game. I'm ready to go bug hunting for sure.

...are you being sarcastic? The Borderlands 2 PC interface was STILL horrible. Not quite as bad as BL1, but close. It was basically the console interface ported over. Last I checked it still has bugs if you scroll fast through the inventory. Are you playing with a gamepad or something?

On top of that the multiplayer was buggy for quite some time after release in BL2, it's somewhat tolerable now, but they still had the port issue right after release.

More on topic: This game looks like it would have been great, if they hadn't gone with off canon aliens, and a 4 player limit. Oh well. Bargain bin at best.

I'm not being sarcastic, the interface in Borderlands 2 was as I expected from a PC game, I don't know what issues you're having with it, or how you expected it to look but when I click on shit it works. And no, why the fuck would I use a Gamepad for an FPS on a PC. I never had a issue scrolling my inventory. I have over 300 hours into Borderlands 2, so it's not from lack of playing either.

The multiplayer was never buggy for me, sorry it was for you. I click on people, it joins, what is the issue? What port issue? Never encounter it in BL2. Had to use Hamachi to play BL1, that I considered a problem. Steamworks gave me 0 problems with BL2 Multi, I was able to immediately play with any of my friends. I can't speak for matchmaking as I don't play with random people because they piss me off.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2012, 14:33.

For the Republic

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo