Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 29, 2012, 02:37 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 15:59:
Since we are talking Smart TV, we are talking living room. Remember the big thing... "Winning the living room"? Wow that was a total fizzle for companies like MS and Sony. They thought a game box would win them the living room and make them swim in dollars. Both companies stock go nowhere, one's seemingly hanging on by a thread. You take those two consoles today and break them from their companies, they couldn't stand on their own. Winning the living room was a lie. This isn't the 50's.

PS3 Is Most Used Netflix Streaming Device

Right but it isn't really paying off well for Sony. Where is this big windfall of money these companies thought they would have owning the living room?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 21:02 PropheT

Since we are talking Smart TV, we are talking living room. Remember the big thing... "Winning the living room"? Wow that was a total fizzle for companies like MS and Sony. They thought a game box would win them the living room and make them swim in dollars. Both companies stock go nowhere, one's seemingly hanging on by a thread. You take those two consoles today and break them from their companies, they couldn't stand on their own. Winning the living room was a lie. This isn't the 50's.

PS3 Is Most Used Netflix Streaming Device

That article also points out why the 360 isn't, although it still does well in that market; Netflix is behind the XBL Gold paywall on that device when it's free to use on virtually everything else.

I use the smart-TV Netflix streaming on mine at home, a Panasonic Viera. It's not doggedly slow, works pretty well, and doesn't even see some of the buffering issues I see on other devices with the service. The Amazon video app on it is really nice, actually, with a fairly simple and fast layout that still gives quick access to everything I want.

The problem comes down to basic functionality, though; the TV app isn't searchable. As long as I add something to my queue it works on the TV fine, which isn't a problem since you can just do that from a tablet or when I'm at a PC or something anyway. It's a glaring problem but not a major one since I almost always have another internet-attached device when I'm watching TV anyway.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 20:23 SectorEffector

It just reaches a point when these Netflix enabled devices ( or hulu etc) seem to navigate a web TV era esque layout slower then running windows vista on a 486, and it ends up being not worth it if you at all own a older spare machine etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 17:49 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 17:34:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 16:29:
Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 13:16:
Smart TV, lol. Probably from the same clowns that thought 3D was a good idea.

My roommate has one and he uses it for the built in Netflix more then anything else. About 95% of it's usage is Netflix which is part of being a Smart TV.

Is the UI reasonable? Most Netflix apps built into TV units has been unacceptably laggy.

I honestly don't know, I don't use it, he does. But I do know that he prefers it over the PS3 and doesn't HDMI it from his laptop so it must be good enough for him.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 17:34 SectorEffector

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 16:29:

My roommate has one and he uses it for the built in Netflix more then anything else. About 95% of it's usage is Netflix which is part of being a Smart TV.

Is the UI reasonable? Most Netflix apps built into TV units has been unacceptably laggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

7. Re: No One Uses Smart TV Internet Dec 28, 2012, 17:22 zombiefan

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 16:43:
Wired has some of the dumbest writers who are completely out of touch with reality.

Smart TV is superior to other methods IMO, not that many people have the smarts to setup a media center computer. I know of a lot people who love them. Just bought a samsung myself and retired my old media center PC just because it is far easier to use than the media center and not as complicated.

That is the problem with the internet, any idiot can write nonsense. Maybe you are the clown Cutter.

See, I'm of the exact opposite mindset. I had a Samsung blu-ray player that I used to stream Netflix and then a nice firmware patch from Samsung fucked it up. After going round and round with Samsung's inept tech support, I realized: Why am I even using this appliance in the first place? The UI is dog slow, bloated and unintuitive and now, thanks to Samsung, broken. So I threw a laptop on my TV via HDMI, grabbed one of these and it's been smooth sailing ever since. The laptop can do everything the blu-ray player and it's associated apps could, as well as everything it can't.

But we are in agreement on one thing, any idiot can write nonsense.

6. No One Uses Smart TV Internet Dec 28, 2012, 16:43 Ozmodan

Wired has some of the dumbest writers who are completely out of touch with reality.

Smart TV is superior to other methods IMO, not that many people have the smarts to setup a media center computer. I know of a lot people who love them. Just bought a samsung myself and retired my old media center PC just because it is far easier to use than the media center and not as complicated.

That is the problem with the internet, any idiot can write nonsense. Maybe you are the clown Cutter.

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 16:34 Kitkoan

killer_roach wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 16:28:
For Microsoft, their Xbox team is modestly profitable, but requires huge amounts of revenue for their meager margins (and possibly being a drain on the Windows team due to Microsoft de-emphasizing the PC as a gaming platform).

I think this was MS biggest mistake. Dumping their Windows market for a console market. Because of this, Windows was getting more used as just an "OS" which isn't much and this has hurt them much more then if they left the console market alone. While the XBox makes money, it isn't much compared to the loss of Windows sales. All that money should have been spent on improving Windows. Now Windows is "just an OS", and so OSX, Android, Linux and iOS are rising because they are also "just an OS" with Android and iOS leading the way because they focus on games. It doesn't matter what you think about video games, they are what really help sell an OS, and are the most commonly bought programs on any OS.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 16:29 Kitkoan

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 16:28 killer_roach

Although their stocks have been going nowhere for opposite reasons. For Microsoft, their Xbox team is modestly profitable, but requires huge amounts of revenue for their meager margins (and possibly being a drain on the Windows team due to Microsoft de-emphasizing the PC as a gaming platform). For Sony, their gaming division isn't particularly profitable, but it might be one of the more profitable parts of the company at the moment, seeing as their TV and camera businesses are in the toilet at present with little (if any) hope for recovery, and the film and music businesses being about as much of a money suck as the Xbox is for Microsoft.

2. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 15:59 HorrorScope

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 28, 2012, 13:16 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo