Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved

The Diablo III Website has the promised status report on PvP in Diablo III. Word is the team deathmatch mode, which was deemed not ready to meet the launch date for the action/RPG sequel, is deemed still not ready for release. Jay Wilson explains Blizzard is "shelving" Team Deathmatch, citing a lack of depth to the experience and an unwillingness to balance classes to the extent required by such a mode. This is not preventing the addition of simple dueling in a version 1.07 patch promised for sometime after the new year, and he says they will continue to work the problem of what to offer in lieu of Team Deathmatch. Here's a bit:

So, our core problem is that our Team Deathmatch mode doesn't feel like a great addition to Diablo III. It's not up to the quality that Blizzard gamers expect or that we feel you deserve, and it doesn't really fit with our goals for the rest of the game. The question now is what are we going to do about it?

First and foremost, if our original goal was to support dueling, then we're not achieving that goal very well if we donít actually give players a way to duel in-game. Youíve been asking us for dueling for a while, so we're going to add it to the game soon. Dueling is currently scheduled to release with patch 1.0.7, which is set to hit sometime after the new year. (We'll be providing details about that feature very soon, so stay tuned.)

But as I mentioned before, we are going back to the drawing board on a new replacement for Team Deathmatch, something that feels more appropriate for Diablo III. And as we stated previously, regardless of when we release it, it'll be a free addition to the game. Team Deathmatch provided us with the foundation that we needed and served us well. Hell, it may even still be added in some form in the future. For now, though, we're going to first be looking at new modes that play up to the strengths of the character classes, focus on objectives beyond just defeating other players, and possibly even integrate PvE elements and rewards.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 03:00 Armengar

Team death match wouldn't work anyway. How do you defend against wd that can permaspam bears or sacrifice 500k damage rather easily?  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 02:47 Juzzam

Remember in D2, they announced they would release Guild Halls, but never came?

I played D3 PvP at Blizzcon and it felt like a fast pace WoW arena match.

15. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 02:02 wrlwnd

Yet another over-hyped piece of crap game that I'm glad I never bought.  

14. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 01:25 Dev

translation "Sorry, but we are selling it so good now, there's really no point to add pvp in. Too much effort since most people who wanted D3 already have it. Since we already have their money, no real point to putting it in"  

13. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 00:37 deqer

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 23:34:
"Oh was that too time consuming? okay, we'll stop making this game catering to lifer/grinder nerds and start targeting casual players"

Fixed.

12. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 00:23 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 22:49:
RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 21:18:
Hi I'm Blizzard! I kicked ass from 1994-2003. I crapped out games more polished than diamonds and more fun than girls. Then I made World of Warcraft, it was awesome too at first. After launch, everyone left to make new companies. That left me with no one that knew how to keep making games or expansions that were fun. But it's names like Blizzard that make fun games, not people. I'll show you all when I release Diablo III PvP that Blizzard still kicks ass! Well when it's ready.

Oddly enough, Mists of Pandaria might actually be their best expansion yet in WoW. There's a reason nobody has knocked it off its throne yet.

Diablo 3, though, I just don't get the appeal of PvP or why anyone would even want it. There's better games to do that sort of thing and the time they spend on it is better spent improving or creating content for the PvE portion of Diablo 3.

I also really enjoyed SC2. People can make it sound like Blizzard hasn't done anything good in years if they want, but I have been pretty happy. I thought Cataclysm was terrible and D3 was just ok and clearly released too soon, but otherwise? One of the better PC game makers in my book.

11. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 23:37 jacobvandy

Yeah, there's no reason why it should take more than a toggle wherein two players are designated enemies rather than friends, for the purpose of some novelty combat. Any work beyond that is a complete waste of time and energy.  

10. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 23:34 RaZ0r!

PropheT wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 22:49:
Oddly enough, Mists of Pandaria might actually be their best expansion yet in WoW. There's a reason nobody has knocked it off its throne yet.

Well sure. They give everyone everything on a silver platter what's not to like? It's not even a MMO anymore. It's just a collection game, that takes no effort. Click, click, oh I have a mount! Oh was that too hard? Just cry about it and they will make it even easier. It's ruined all MMOs forever. It's a success as far as making money, but it's doesn't help PC gaming at all.

9. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 22:49 PropheT

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 21:18:
Hi I'm Blizzard! I kicked ass from 1994-2003. I crapped out games more polished than diamonds and more fun than girls. Then I made World of Warcraft, it was awesome too at first. After launch, everyone left to make new companies. That left me with no one that knew how to keep making games or expansions that were fun. But it's names like Blizzard that make fun games, not people. I'll show you all when I release Diablo III PvP that Blizzard still kicks ass! Well when it's ready.

Diablo 3, though, I just don't get the appeal of PvP or why anyone would even want it. There's better games to do that sort of thing and the time they spend on it is better spent improving or creating content for the PvE portion of Diablo 3.

8. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 22:18 Dades

They still haven't shipped the PvP yet? Amazing. What the hell happened to Blizzard?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 22:05 Closed Betas

I think their core problem is that they suck... I went back and played diablo 3 last 2 days... only took 2 hours to realize why I quit playing after the first week of launch..... Horribad game, terrible story, even worse gameplay.. and the bosses couldnt be more pathetic, great reason to rage quit.. Act 1 was okay, after that.. nothing short of pathetic..

Here they come emphasizing it...

Duel? one on one dueling? lol... no thanks blizzard, if I was 9 again, i'd log into ogrimmar and get my macro bot

6. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 21:42 Wallshadows

Finally bought Torchlight 2 and am in the process of making a Cannoneer.

It's a really good game and you would never guess it's only $15. The problem is that Diablo 3 has left me with such a sour taste in my mouth towards this particular genre and I don't feel as though I can get the most out of it for the time being.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

5. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 21:19 Kosumo

I can't believe the earth did not shatter when they announced this announcement.

It's not long till the world uses Diablo money as reserve currency.

I'm calling it!

4. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 21:18 RaZ0r!

3. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 21:04 Sepharo

New D3 PvP announcement: No PvP!  

2. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 21:02 Axis

I could not think of a more worthless use of your time playing than D3. Then comes along D3 pvp...

Trumped!

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 20:53 nin

Jay Wilson explains

Fuck, that loser?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer