Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 29, 2012, 12:48 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 09:22:
I am one of the 5 to 7% of people whose brains cannot properly process the 3D image for whatever reason and end up getting eye strain and a headache, so I wouldn't miss 3D at all. Life is 3D enough.

Prez and I are those two people in the known universe that could never get those Magic Eye books to work. It's rather embarrassing.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 29, 2012, 09:22 Prez

I am one of the 5 to 7% of people whose brains cannot properly process the 3D image for whatever reason and end up getting eye strain and a headache, so I wouldn't miss 3D at all. Life is 3D enough.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2012, 16:10 Ant

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 18:39:
There was a 2D Dredd, I saw it and it rocked hard! I have yet to see a 3D film and have ZERO interest in doing so. Stick a fork in it already, it's over.

How was Judge Dredd compared the first movie? I like the first one when I saw it on local broadcast TV.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re:3D Dec 28, 2012, 16:09 Ant

PropheT wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 22:53:
3D won't be well-received until they can do it without any glasses.

Avatar's 3D was great, and it actually added to the movie in some ways. Prometheus had 3D that was as good as Avatar's, if not better, and it's as good in the home transfer as it was in the theater.

Everything else, though...it's not worth the cost. Most movies in my mind are actually better without it anyway.
3D doesn't work old compound eyes.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2012, 22:53 PropheT

3D won't be well-received until they can do it without any glasses.

Avatar's 3D was great, and it actually added to the movie in some ways. Prometheus had 3D that was as good as Avatar's, if not better, and it's as good in the home transfer as it was in the theater.

Everything else, though...it's not worth the cost. Most movies in my mind are actually better without it anyway.

18. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 19:22 NewMaxx

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 11:06:
When technology is ready, it will become the norm so IMHO 3D film-making is yet to really start.

I studied robotics in school, among other things. One of our projects involved testing different faces on robots to see how people reacted. Our findings indicated that people felt more and more affection for the robots as they became more life-like, but only up to a point. When it became difficult to tell the face apart from a real one, people started to increasingly exhibit hatred and fear.

My point being that the complaints I hear about 48 FPS are alarmingly similar: people like to be fooled, but not completely. Being too lifelike can actually be detrimental. So, yeah, it's partly the technological limitations, but it's also a matter of people being used to it. Going from silent films to ones with sound is one thing, going from 2D to full 3D with realistic motion is another. It needs to be slowly phased in, which is why I applaud Jackson's initiative.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2012, 18:39 Cutter

There was a 2D Dredd, I saw it and it rocked hard! I have yet to see a 3D film and have ZERO interest in doing so. Stick a fork in it already, it's over.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: The 9 Worst Tech Buzzwords of 2012 Dec 27, 2012, 18:08 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:57:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:55:
They forgot one. The word "experience." For some reason, people today use that word way too much and it sounds really stupid. This one is a lot worse than many of the words they picked.

Windows experience, UI experience, touch experience, single player experience, multiplayer experience, video game experience, keyboard experience (yes I recently read that one in a review and I just couldn't believe it).

Why in the fuck does everything have to be an experience now?

I read this post in a George Carlin voice...it worked, wonderfully.

Thanks for that =) Reading this in Carlin's voice is excellent.

Interesting to note is that 3d-film making actually beckons back to the 1800's.. though not motion pictures, of course.

15. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 17:40 Kosumo

TV Broadcast is backing away form 3d tv as well.

3d is a bit of a gimmick, saying that thought I did see Dredd 3d in 3d (they had no 2d release) and the 3d was well used (lots of floating particals in the air, like Avatar) but it was used in the 'drugged' scenes which where ment to feel abit dieffent.

I was asked to work on the Rugby World Cup last year in 3D and it fell over taking the company and the owners house with them.

There where a reasonably amount of 3D shot at this years Olympics, and I see they shot the X-games in 3d - but they are doing this on top of the standard(HD) TV coverage.

Alot of 3d TV where sold over the last 5 years, but I don't think the programing as followed like they would have liked.

It will be telling once something like Game of Thrones or other top rating TV is shot in 3d at the camera end that TV broadcasters are truly behind it.

I'm thinking it will hit off big in gaming (due to the images being total made in computer) before it take over TV, and I still think we are years off that happerning.

I've only got a 10 cent peace, yet that was just my 2 cents worth, where do I get change?

14. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 17:03 Julio

I'd love to see the end of 3D films. Always stuck paying a premium for 3D because the theater chooses to only show 3D and not 2D. There's only so many times they can obviously have things thrown at the screen, it kills the immersiveness of the film.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2012, 17:03 NegaDeath

I think 3D is great. Like CG it ultimately comes down to how the director uses it. Unfortunately the tech isn't great. Give it another 50 years to mature and we'll see.  

12. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 15:11 Kitkoan

3D films are an oddball I feel.

They can be good... depending on the technology. And this is the issue. There isn't "one" 3d tech, there is a few kinds and they all are a little different.

I've used 3D tv's to watch movies here in Canada on display at shops and they are bad. The picture looks flickery and it gives me a headache quickly. When I was in South Korea, there was a 3D tv on display outside a store and decided to try it. It was amazing. Vivid picture, no flickering, no headache, it really felt like it was there right to the point that it looked like I could touch the flower petals and butterflies shown (it was some K-Pop star music video, very over the top girly...) And that 3D tv made me see why people talk about 3D tv's because that was amazing... but I don't know the tech used in it and so no dice.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

11. Re: The 9 Worst Tech Buzzwords of 2012 Dec 27, 2012, 14:00 The Half Elf

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:57:
They forgot one. The word "experience." For some reason, people today use that word way too much and it sounds really stupid. This one is a lot worse than many of the words they picked.

Windows experience, UI experience, touch experience, single player experience, multiplayer experience, video game experience, keyboard experience (yes I recently read that one in a review and I just couldn't believe it).

I read this post in a George Carlin voice...it worked, wonderfully.

OMG George lives!

*adds George to Tu Pac, Elvis and Jesus*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 13:50 Quboid

I'm not sure if you guys are agreeing with me or not.

Badly made 3D films, the higher prices and films with shit flying at your face just to impress you, these are some of what I mean by the related things. These aren't a fault of the concept of 3D movies, these are faults with the present technology and it's novelty.

As for the lack of anything interesting, that's true, but I think it's besides the point. Once we can just look at the TV/cinema screen and see 3D, the question isn't "why 3D" but "why not 3D", much like how the question now isn't "why HD" but "why not HD". 3D is closer to reality, that's all the reason I need.

- Quboid

9. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 12:21 Jensen

The theaters here have the flickering for 3D films that is even very noticeable in 2D trailers before the movie. I think that depends on the chain, though. Some use a lens that splits a 4k picture into two 2K pictures. Here they use alternating left and right frames at 144FPS.  

8. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 11:55 Dades

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:23:
Let's fucking hope so.

Creston

I like 3D films, it's the related things I dislike.

No one does anything interesting with 3D. I've seen two films that used decent depth perception techniques and that's it. I'm not even convinced there is anywhere to go with it, creating realistic 3D simulations seems far too labor intensive to be anything but a niche. Right now it's an industry bereft of any creative goals, purely a financial boondoggle for Hollywood.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: 3D Film Dec 27, 2012, 11:53 Panickd

3D film isn't bad when it's showing stuff that was shot or created in 3D (computer animated films look particularly good in the format), but most of the stuff they shove onto screens in 3D is converted to 3D in post production and looks like absolute crap! I can understand asking people to pay more for the tickets when you've gone to the extra trouble to actually create something in that format but to ask me for more money when you couldn't even be bothered to do it the right way is complete bullshit. More to the point though is the fact that 3D is inadvertently ruining the 2D film experience in a lot of theaters. When they don't swap out the 3D lenses while showing a 2D movie (which most theaters don't because it takes time and isn't easy with some of the new digital projectors) it drains all the colors from the film and makes everything look very dark. It's all enough to kill my enthusiasm for going to the movies more than a handful of times a year.  

6. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 11:42 Frijoles

I like 3D films, it's the related things I dislike.

I hate that they shove it in your face. LOOK, WE'RE 3D! Let's have this stupid, unnecessary use of CGI to show all the SHIT we can throw IN YOUR FACE now. It's so over the top it just feels forced. I pray that smell-o-vision never works out for this very reason. Also the additional $5 I have to pay for a worse movie experience pisses me off. I go to 2D if it's available and at a good time.

5. Re: The 9 Worst Tech Buzzwords of 2012 Dec 27, 2012, 11:06 Quboid

I enjoyed your commentary experience.

- Quboid

4. Re: 3D film making Dec 27, 2012, 11:06 Quboid

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 10:23:
Let's fucking hope so.

Creston

I like 3D films, it's the related things I dislike. Presently the flickering (possibly fixed with 48FPS film) and either uncomfortable glasses or having to keep your head in just the right place (e.g. the Nintendo 3DS) just isn't good enough.

When technology is ready, it will become the norm so IMHO 3D film-making is yet to really start.

- Quboid

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo