Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Boxing Day Mobilization

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 21:09 John

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 15:21:
Most of the ones I've seen, after the cracked screens, the Home button is a very common issue. And it was also the biggest complaint on Ars Technica when asked what they wanted to see in the iPhone 5, a decent quality Home button (or removed and be more like Android).
Well if that's the most common issue then I think Apple is doing pretty good. I like their build quality a lot better than the Androids I've seen. Not saying anything negative about Android, I think it's a good OS as well and my brother even has a S2. It would be nice if Apple removed the physical home button though and changed it to some motion-sensing touch pad or something like that.

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 19:14 Jivaro

Could be iPads or any other tablet...the world is making the transition to "tricorders". Gene's vision is becoming a reality!

25. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 17:00 Kitkoan

mch wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 16:32:
No iMaps jokes yet?

Disappointed

I would, but people would just get lost

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

24. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 16:32 mch

No pilots + iMaps jokes yet?

Disappointed

PSN: CaseDesignate

23. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 15:21 Kitkoan

John wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 08:43:
Kitkoan wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 20:37:
I am curious though, what is the long term costs of the iPads? Seems all those Apple devices have low build quality in the Home button (seems most don't live past a year, with two years being a rarity.) Everyone keeps wanting those to be the future, yet they keep having so many problems and issues with them.
I've got two iPhone 3G's (the 2nd gen model, not 3GS) and both their home buttons work fine still. One I actually just gave to a friend for his daughter and the other I use as a universal remote. I also have three newer iPhones (one is almost 3 years old) and an iPad with working home buttons.

Sure, I know some people have problems with them, but I would only say a small number do even after a year. Many of my co-workers own iPhones too and I have yet to hear of one having that issue. Most of them have the 4 or 4S which they keep for at least 2 years when they can get an upgrade. And typically they pass their old phone to their kids when they upgrade.

Most of the ones I've seen, after the cracked screens, the Home button is a very common issue. And it was also the biggest complaint on Ars Technica when asked what they wanted to see in the iPhone 5, a decent quality Home button (or removed and be more like Android).

22. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 Wikidd

Rather, I would expect that the iPad would have a database of sectional charts, ILS approach charts, airport diagrams, etc., i.e. stuff that they'd carry around in paper form anyway.

Right, they have to have that stuff on paper because the law says they do. They'll also have stuff inside their computer too. There's no reason for them to use an iPad; if there's an error and it came down to the pilots trusting information from an iPad then everyone involved in putting iPads in the cockpit would get a stern telling off!

21. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 08:43 John

I am curious though, what is the long term costs of the iPads? Seems all those Apple devices have low build quality in the Home button (seems most don't live past a year, with two years being a rarity.) Everyone keeps wanting those to be the future, yet they keep having so many problems and issues with them.
I've got two iPhone 3G's (the 2nd gen model, not 3GS) and both their home buttons work fine still. One I actually just gave to a friend for his daughter and the other I use as a universal remote. I also have three newer iPhones (one is almost 3 years old) and an iPad with working home buttons.

Sure, I know some people have problems with them, but I would only say a small number do even after a year. Many of my co-workers own iPhones too and I have yet to hear of one having that issue. Most of them have the 4 or 4S which they keep for at least 2 years when they can get an upgrade. And typically they pass their old phone to their kids when they upgrade.

This space is available for rent

20. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 05:03 SectorEffector

I'm not convinced and here's why: The fact they have a separate section called "the apple ecosystem" among a PLETHORA of other interesting subjects makes me believe they have alienated the brand. Not only that, one of the articles you just referenced is clearly not in Apples interest to have talked about and have light brought to it. You're arguing with yourself with that bullet point.

anyways... on the note of the first point I made

To some alienating it sorta plays on how a lot of apple fans are like Fox News fans. they have their own little section to be nuts... So of course if I go peddling around the crazy coo coo section of Ars, or Reddit or wherever... I of course WILL find Upvoted apple posts..

We both are staring at the same site and seeing completely different things.

You see a section devoted to Apple as Pro Apple

I see it as "give the crazies their little fun room"

It's like you say "Why wait?" then argue back articles as if you browse that site with Ctrl-F on.

Anything past this point is arguing our interpretation of what we see on the site. Let us not tread on those grounds. We agree to disagree ?

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2012, 05:09.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

19. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:47 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 04:32:
Okay I'll wait for a month of "Pro apple" news to take over the entire site.. then maybe.. I'll think you're right about this particular tidbit. Until then...

Any perceptive individual can browse to that site right now and read more then enough fun information without having to deal with stupid iSupport for that apple.

The worst that happens is one of the editors there is an avid iphone user and forgets to mention Android versions or comparative Android versions to what they review.

Just playing DA here.

Why wait a month? Lets try now on the main site.

How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS
The music industry dropped DRM years ago. So why does it persist on e-books? Why only show iPhone and iPad? Why not the more universal Kindle? Only Apple gear here.
Where OS X security stands after a volatile 2012
iPad cooking app showdown: holiday week edition
Apple lifts block on combo 30-pin+Lightning charging accessories
From Karateka to Cubasis, 8 new iOS apps worth a try
Steve Jobs wanted Apple’s browser Safari called “Freedom”
iOS 6.0.2 suspected of draining batteries

Go look at the comments in each section. See which ones get the most comments, see which ones have the most trolling on each side. See which ones get modded up and down.

Apple even has it's own sub-section on Ars, and only Apple does http://arstechnica.com/apple/

This is the list of sections:
Information Technology
TECHNOLOGY LAB
Product News & Reviews
GEAR & GADGETS
Business of Technology
MINISTRY OF INNOVATION
Security & Hacktivism
RISK ASSESSMENT
Civilization & Discontents
LAW & DISORDER
The Apple Ecosystem
INFINITE LOOP
Gaming & Entertainment
OPPOSABLE THUMBS
Science & Exploration
THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD

18. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:32 SectorEffector

Okay I'll wait for a month of "Pro apple" news to take over the entire site.. then maybe.. I'll think you're right about this particular tidbit. Until then...

Any perceptive individual can browse to that site right now and read more then enough fun information without having to deal with stupid iSupport for Apple.

The worst that happens is one of the editors there is an avid iphone user and forgets to mention Android versions or comparative Android versions to what they review.

The other problem is they post news for each OS.. so if there's a bunch of apple Update posts etc they will have articles for those, and maybe that's why you think its mostly Apple.. you view on days where Apple fixes a bunch of problems they deny then blame on their customers ability to hold a handset properly.

Just playing DA here. (while my posts seem biased)

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2012, 04:37.

17. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:27 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 04:18:
SectorEffector wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 19:45:
I'm so proud of you guys, first post with iPad or Apple in it and nobody is lamblasting a consumer who purchases an apple product.

Normally I spend most of my time getting lost in useless arguments about absolutely asinine specifics of things while bigger points get lost.

Actual discussion? wow we are starting to seem like ArsTechnica here.

No, Apple Technica would blindly ignore anything that shows Apple in a less then positive life.

You must have Ars confused with somewhere else, theres plenty of fighting on both sides, and editorially they have the same dislikes with apple products that other sites will generally have.

Well I'm talking about http://arstechnica.com which is well known by its nickname "Apple Technica". What site are you talking about?

While it's been a little less pro-apple lately, its still pretty blindly pro-apple

16. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:25 SectorEffector

BTW Kit

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/ios-6-0-2-suspected-of-draining-batteries/

I had to scroll past the raspberry Pi article and Kindle Fire article and the windows 8 guide, then past the gaming laptop review roundup article to find myself seeing two different apple related posts.. one about NAS storage of itunes librarys.

the other was this post about how the battery life has gotten worse through an update ( which is embarassing if you ask me, and posting that on Apple.com's front page would probably never happen )

I read Ars daily among my usual roundabout of the now casual mans daily read and I while I do see some dumb iLove, theres a equal share of iHate and a small jelly bean community of brilliant minded indifferent platform blind silicone savants.

Anyways what I meant to say was, "I think you're wrong about that".

15. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:18 SectorEffector

I'm so proud of you guys, first post with iPad or Apple in it and nobody is lamblasting a consumer who purchases an apple product.

Normally I spend most of my time getting lost in useless arguments about absolutely asinine specifics of things while bigger points get lost.

No, Apple Technica would blindly ignore anything that shows Apple in a less then positive life.

You must have Ars confused with somewhere else, theres plenty of fighting on both sides, and editorially they have the same dislikes with apple products that other sites will generally have.

14. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 04:16 SectorEffector

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 21:47:

Well, I hate Apple and Apple products. I hate the walled garden and the over-pricing and the elitist image they create for people using their products. That being said, my wife got me an ipod for Christmas, my first Apple product ever, so I figured I'd give it a go. Ding 1: I need itunes or similar software to even load music onto it. I can't just do a file copy. Ding 2: to get FM radio, I have to spend $50 to add an FM radio module. Ridiculous. It goes back, and I'm ordering a Sandisk MP3 player or something.

EDIT: I picked up a Samsung Gal II 10" tablet for the fam for X-Mas. Damn, that things is sweet. Beautiful screen, lightweight, decent speed, plays games decently (got the Android humble indie bundle last month), plays hi-def vid silky smooth, overall a very nice piece of kit. And I paid $279 for it over at Costco. What's the cheapest ipad cost again?

Let me get this straight...

I commented expressing suprise that the post stuck to the importance of tablets in general being in a plane etc and not generic apple hatred.

but...
somehow... without me even stating I prefer one over the other..

it turns into "What's the cheapest ipad cost again?"

13. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 27, 2012, 00:25 Cutter

I have a deep and abiding hate for Apple do not doubt. However, I could care less if it were Apple or anyone else in this case. I'd just like to know why ALL their staff need tablets. I don't see any advantage and some definite downsides to it. Seems BA is more interested in being hip and cool than practical.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 23:43 Scottish Martial Arts

The idea that pilots will use them in the cockpit is bollocks. Consumer navigation equipment is classified as "for information only", which means you shouldn't trust it. Certified GPS / navigation equipment costs an arm and a leg, but BA planes will have it anyway.

I highly doubt that BA hopes to replace a glass cockpit moving map system with the GPS on the iPad. Rather, I would expect that the iPad would have a database of sectional charts, ILS approach charts, airport diagrams, etc., i.e. stuff that they'd carry around in paper form anyway.

11. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 23:34 Wikidd

The idea that pilots will use them in the cockpit is bollocks. Consumer navigation equipment is classified as "for information only", which means you shouldn't trust it. Certified GPS / navigation equipment costs an arm and a leg, but BA planes will have it anyway.

Having said that iPads can make a lot of sense for organisations of about 3,000 employees. There's a small UK government department, the DCLG, that decided they could potentially save money on printing costs by getting rid of printers and giving staff an iPad. BA must think they can save money by getting rid of lots of paper too!

10. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 21:47 jdreyer

Well, I hate Apple and Apple products. I hate the walled garden and the over-pricing and the elitist image they create for people using their products. That being said, my wife got me an ipod for Christmas, my first Apple product ever, so I figured I'd give it a go. Ding 1: I need itunes or similar software to even load music onto it. I can't just do a file copy. Ding 2: to get FM radio, I have to spend $50 to add an FM radio module. Ridiculous. It goes back, and I'm ordering a Sandisk MP3 player or something.

EDIT: I picked up a Samsung Gal II 10" tablet for the fam for X-Mas. Damn, that things is sweet. Beautiful screen, lightweight, decent speed, plays games decently (got the Android humble indie bundle last month), plays hi-def vid silky smooth, overall a very nice piece of kit. And I paid $279 for it over at Costco. What's the cheapest ipad cost again?

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2012, 21:52.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 20:37 Kitkoan

8. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 19:45 SectorEffector

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo