Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Boxing Day Mobilization

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

7. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 19:22 Scottish Martial Arts

I'm not a pilot so I'm not keen on the details but.....shouldn't that kind of stuff be done by the PLANE? Ground and cabin I suppose I could see, but pilots? Why don't they already have that?

Depends on the airplane and what kind of avionics package it has. Regardless, having a redundant source of navigation data is never a bad thing. Ideally, you should be treating a modern INS/GPS navigation system, and older (but still VERY useful) radio navigation tools such as ADF, VOR and ILS, as a backup to the traditional dead reckoning tools of clock, compass, and map, but often times it's the other way around.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 18:29 Paranoid Jack

Our company has done the same. Some techs have relied entirely on iPhones and iPads to do their work for several years already.

Now we are being given the iPad 2 instead of a newer version of the Tough Books which we have been using for the last ten years. Maybe its part of the new buy American thing? My guess... it has to do with tax right offs.

I've been off for more than a week now for the holidays yet I look forward to going back. One of my friends from work told me he spent the better part of three hours trying to activate it before giving up.

edit: To be fair it was probably the company spyware/crapware/needed programs that were not allowing him to log in and get to work. Still it was extremely funny to me because he is an Apple Fanboi to his core.

5. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 18:17 NegaDeath

"As part of the airline’s $8.1 billion investment to deploy iPads to cabin crew and ground staff, the pilots use the iPads to access real-time data like flight information as well as present and historic customer details."

I'm not a pilot so I'm not keen on the details but.....shouldn't that kind of stuff be done by the PLANE? Ground and cabin I suppose I could see, but pilots? Why don't they already have that?

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2012, 18:22.

4. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 14:06 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 12:28:
Will they have to shut them down for takeoffs and landings as well?

Creston

Thats exactly what i was thinking.

As someone who's flown between the states and europe over a dozen times i stay away from all london airports (heathrow, gatwick, stanstead) like the plague. Also i refuse to fly British Airways, they have the highest rate of lost baggage out of all the airlines which is saying something special.

3. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 13:08 Cutter

As part of the airline’s $8.1 billion investment to deploy iPads to cabin crew and ground staff, the pilots use the iPads to access real-time data like flight information as well as present and historic customer details.

8.1 billion dollars? That's long ways off from the 8.1 million that British Airways said its paying. What kind of writer doesn't proof his own work particularly when it's only a few paragraphs?

I still don't understand why their entire staff need them though. Ground crew? Why? They'll just get trashed inside of a week. Cabin Crew? Why? And why all pilots? Why not just the navigator or senior pilot? Seems like a massive waste of money all around here. Not to mention the staff will want to dump them ASAP because of Apple's culture of conspicuous consumption which means you have to upgrade every year and damn the environment and common sense!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 12:55 John

Only if they're playing Words with Friends.

This space is available for rent

1. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 12:28 Creston

Will they have to shut them down for takeoffs and landings as well?

Creston

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo