Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Boxing Day Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 13:12 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 11:00:
zombiefan wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 15:54:
Netflix blames Amazon. Meanwhile, Netflix's starts to look for new servers to rent after pissing off Amazon.

The weird thing is that Amazon's own cloud servers are built for absolute 100% availability. There is so much redundancy and there are so many failsafes put in place, all to make sure that when someone adds something to the shopping cart, it never, ever, ever fails to register that, and nobody ever gets hindered in trying to shop or trying to check out.

Apparently that same level of redundancy is not to be found in the parts of the cloud they rent out?

Creston

AWS/etc has had several notable outages though. It is built for redundancy but failover isn't an exact science with so many factors at play. People just need to accept that some downtime is part of living with digital services, they are only as good as their imperfect creators

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 11:04 nin

Apparently that same level of redundancy is not to be found in the parts of the cloud they rent out?

Or you pay extra for it, more likely.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 11:00 Creston

zombiefan wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 15:54:
Netflix blames Amazon. Meanwhile, Netflix's starts to look for new servers to rent after pissing off Amazon.

The weird thing is that Amazon's own cloud servers are built for absolute 100% availability. There is so much redundancy and there are so many failsafes put in place, all to make sure that when someone adds something to the shopping cart, it never, ever, ever fails to register that, and nobody ever gets hindered in trying to shop or trying to check out.

Creston

8. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 06:18 SectorEffector

Smellfinger wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 16:32:
For all we know, this blogger might have been the fictional creation of an American or Israeli intelligence/security agency. I wouldn't put it past them to create a sockpuppet to stir up anti-Iran sentiment.

doubt it. They have the media to do that job. I won't go to say its intentional but the media really pushes the fear mongering that leads a populace to lean towards war.

The war with Iran fear mongering is really bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

7. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 00:27 Cutter

Really? And how do you figure the populace would do in any modern country against tanks, missiles, drones, etc.? Theocracy? Plutocracy? At least they know where they stand and just dwell in the illusion we're free.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 22:56 Axis

Cutter wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 13:21:
It could have been worse, he could have been sent to Gitmo indefinitely to be tortured without ever being charged for a crime. How many innocent people have been railroaded and framed into US prisons do you think?

Cutter is a guy who repeatedly attempts to shit on the USA for nothing more than hearing himself repeat liberal talking points.

I don't know why you guys give him a voice. Virtually all his posts are thinly veiled attacks on everything American.

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 22:38 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 22:29:
I'm just glad it got the attention it deserved. The Iranian gov't is horrible, but the people living under that regime have the potential to create a great country if they could get the right kind of govn't.
The population is unarmed, and the government is a theocracy with all the weapons. The chance of them being able to "create a great country" is next to impossible.

Remember, they beat, rape and imprison women for standing up for the rights of others. They hang gays for being gay, the religious police cane people in public as an example then send them on their way. And so on. And before someone gets the idea of saying "but look at Egypt" ... yeah look at Egypt, how's that new theocracy workin' out anyway? Worse than the old dictatorship isn't it. Much the way Syria is going.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 22:29 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 13:21:
It could have been worse, he could have been sent to Gitmo indefinitely to be tortured without ever being charged for a crime. How many innocent people have been railroaded and framed into US prisons do you think?

Not sure it could have been worse. The dude is dead. At least those living in Gitmo have some hope of release at some point, especially given that it appears that many of them were wrongly sent there.

I'm just glad it got the attention it deserved. The Iranian gov't is horrible, but the people living under that regime have the potential to create a great country if they could get the right kind of govn't.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 16:32 Smellfinger

For all we know, this blogger might have been the fictional creation of an American or Israeli intelligence/security agency. I wouldn't put it past them to create a sockpuppet to stir up anti-Iran sentiment.  

2. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 15:54 zombiefan

1. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 26, 2012, 13:21 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo