Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Christmas Metaverse

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 16:27 Tom

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:19:
Speed tests show that I am getting up to 25 Mbps but I never get those speeds on an actual download. I'm wondering if I'm getting screwed. Also, I've asked relatives who live within an hour of my location and they get the same exact numbers. Perhaps TWC throttles everything except for the speed test websites.

Indeed, those speed tests always show the full speed, yet real world results, like YouTube and game downloads/updates, are dog slow. Yet other people who are lucky enough to be on FiOS get fast speeds on those things. So what does this tell us about TWC? What we already know... they suck. The only thing they're interested in investing in is lobbying to preserve their monopoly status. They still haven't even upgraded to DOCSIS 3 here. Even Charter, arguably the worst ISP in the US, did that years ago.

If I had actually got the speed I'm paying for, the same speed I always get from speed test sites, it would've taken about an hour to download Mass Effect 3 the other day. Instead it took about 10 hours. I believe they are throttling and/or their infrastructure is just garbage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 16:24 Cutter

LittleMe wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 15:41:
Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:02:
As usual, Valve ignores the massive load during Xmas sales and lets everyone try to connect to their hideously overloaded servers...

Building and maintaining infrastructure for peak load times that happen ~1% of the time can be very, very expensive. Do you still want good sales and low prices? Learn to be patient and accept a few outages or slower downloads a few times a year during peak demand.

If you want mission-critical uptime, then expect to pay a lot more.

And if you're not making sales you're not only not making money, you're losing it. So it's in their own interest to make sure they can handle the peak loads. It's not like this is anything new or unexpected for them, and they can certainly afford leasing some extra bandwith for 2 weeks a few times a year.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 15:41 LittleMe

As usual, Valve ignores the massive load during Xmas sales and lets everyone try to connect to their hideously overloaded servers...

Building and maintaining infrastructure for peak load times that happen ~1% of the time can be very, very expensive. Do you still want good sales and low prices? Learn to be patient and accept a few outages or slower downloads a few times a year during peak demand.

If you want mission-critical uptime, then expect to pay a lot more.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 15:00 Dev

The problem isn't generally the content servers being overloaded (you can see their stats and they are never all full in a region), so its the load balancing process thats not sufficient.

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:06:

I guess making a billion+ dollars in revenues isn't enough for anyone to wheel their desk over and put some extra capacity in place, Gabe?

Creston

Having a infrastructure backbone beefy enough to handle holiday sale loads just isn't an interesting enough project for Valve to work on.
Someone else finally gets it.

They should just contract that stuff out if they can't get someone interested enough inside the company to do it.

8. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:35 Frags4Fun

Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 14:28:
If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Odds are that he's in an area in which few people have TWC, so few people access the area's backbone, and you are in an area in which everyone has it.

Cable internet is shared internet. The more people that use it, the slower it gets. That said, if it's so congested that your 15Mbps never gets above 1.7 Mbps, TWC really should put more capacity in place. Complain to the better business bureau, and see if that'll help.

Creston

Thanks Creston.

I'm going to call them soon to complain. I'm just gathering information at the moment so that I have the right responses for their excuses. I suspect that they will point me to the speed test websites and then tell me everything is fine when it hits 25 Mbps or they may say it's the websites upload speed that is limiting me to 1.7 Mbps when downloading. I can't understand why all the speed tests give me such high numbers when even torrents are maxed out at 1.5 - 1.7 Mbps.

I've even gone so far as to plug directly into the modem to do tests in order to rule out my CAT6 cables and my router. Same numbers, so it's not my router and cabling.

7. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:28 Creston

Odds are that he's in an area in which few people have TWC, so few people access the area's backbone, and you are in an area in which everyone has it.

Cable internet is shared internet. The more people that use it, the slower it gets. That said, if it's so congested that your 15Mbps never gets above 1.7 Mbps, TWC really should put more capacity in place. Complain to the better business bureau, and see if that'll help.

Creston

6. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:27 Techie714

@Frags4Fun
I'm in Orange County, CA. and I'm supposed to get 15dn/1up and I'm getting those speeds. Perhaps your modem is out dated, or some kind of connection issue because that is WAY slow.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2394077927.png

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:19 Frags4Fun

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 13:52:
I had a weird issue today where my download rate was at 2.5Mbs instead of the normal 25-30. I had to restart my cable modem to resolve it (Time Warner Cable).

I only mention it here in case others are impacted.

Where are you getting 25-30 Mbps with TW? I'm in NY and am lucky to hit 1.7 Mbps download with TWC even though they claim to be providing me with 15 Mbps. Speed tests show that I am getting up to 25 Mbps but I never get those speeds on an actual download. I'm wondering if I'm getting screwed. Also, I've asked relatives who live within an hour of my location and they get the same exact numbers. Perhaps TWC throttles everything except for the speed test websites.

4. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:08 Techie714

It's back up, everybody relax.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:06 RollinThundr

I guess making a billion+ dollars in revenues isn't enough for anyone to wheel their desk over and put some extra capacity in place, Gabe?

Creston

Having a infrastructure backbone beefy enough to handle holiday sale loads just isn't an interesting enough project for Valve to work on.

2. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 14:02 Creston

Creston

1. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2012, 13:52 Fibrocyte

I had a weird issue today where my download rate was at 2.5Mbs instead of the normal 25-30. I had to restart my cable modem to resolve it (Time Warner Cable).

I only mention it here in case others are impacted.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo