Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve offers the following list of the 10 bestselling titles for the week on Steam:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Dishonored
  3. Hitman: Absolution
  4. Far Cry 3
  5. Darksiders Franchise
  6. THQ Collection
  7. Torchlight II
  8. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  10. Natural Selection 2

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 28, 2012, 18:20 Dades

Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 13:05:
Dev wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 00:09:
As I've said in recent sale threads, they have to get permission from the devs for sale pricing,

I'm not sure that's true? I remember an interview with Gabe a few years ago where he said that as long as they give the publisher their normal cut, they can put stuff on sale as much as they want?

You're thinking of someone else, that never happened. Steam can't just up and decide to put things on sale that it doesn't own. There are publishing agreements, they can't even do that with indie titles, let alone big publishers. Steam gets in contact with companies when it is doing a promotion and asks them if they want to participate, it's how people often know in advance the dates the sales are starting.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2012, 14:55 Dev

Wow this is interesting:
So you'd like to have your game
on Steam?
At the moment Steam is currently not accepting new game submissions as we transition to our new Steam Greenlight process.

I wonder if they are going to use greenlight for everything? A pretty silly move, even if I won't vote for CoD:MW4, there are plenty that will.

More likely it just means no new publishers would be my guess.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2012, 14:53 Dev

Creston wrote on Dec 25, 2012, 13:05:
As I've said in recent sale threads, they have to get permission from the devs for sale pricing,

I'm not sure that's true? I remember an interview with Gabe a few years ago where he said that as long as they give the publisher their normal cut, they can put stuff on sale as much as they want?

Anyone else remember that?
Yes I'm sure its true, and there's been past discussions about it on blues. Steam even says on its page about it that its up to the publishers. If it was the way you said, why don't we see things like the latest CoD going on sale frequently on steam? Or stuff like anno going on a good sale?

Example:
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php
...you decide on what the best price is for your title.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2012, 13:05 Creston

Anyone else remember that?

In any case, Valve has reams and reams of data that the sales bring in massively positive profits (compared to not putting stuff on sale), so why any publisher would have an issue with it is beyond me. (Except EA, because they're fucking retarded with their whole "it cheapens IP!" bullshit. Hey EA, I'm not buying any of your games this Christmas. Hope you enjoy your non-cheapened IP!)

Creston

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2012, 00:09 Dev

nin wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 22:37:
Fuck! Borderlands 2 won! I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, as popular as it is (and Dishonored being more of a sleeper hit).

Hopefully D'll hit 50% again...if nothing else, the last day.
From past steam sales, ALL the community vote choices appear as at least flash, if not daily. Makes sense after all. As I've said in recent sale threads, they have to get permission from the devs for sale pricing, and why bother getting just a one time vote permission.

Also, it means the voting is really rather meaningless, because even the losing choices appear in flash/daily.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 22:37 nin

Fuck! Borderlands 2 won! I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, as popular as it is (and Dishonored being more of a sleeper hit).

Hopefully D'll hit 50% again...if nothing else, the last day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 13:11 Paranoid Jack

Thanks again, nin.  

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 11:59 nin

Dishonored up for a 50% off vote - vote now for Jack!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 11:43 w00tie

Paranoid Jack wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 11:00:
Does anyone else have Dota2 showing up as already owned... yet you can't remember purchasing it?

Then when you try to play it it says you are in spectator mode only?

How is it? Worth $15 at this point? Any opinions would be highly appreciated, thanks.
I think everybody has that. It seems like a marketing ploy to get you to buy the early access package.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 11:24 fiftykyu

Think Dota 2 is currently in beta, but once it's out of beta it's going to be free to play like Team Fortress 2. So, if you're just vaguely curious about it I'd say wait.

If you're more interested than that, know that Valve is constantly adding gift copies to players' inventories. So if you know someone that plays it regularly ask if they might have a copy or five to give you.

And if you're even more interested, I am completely inept at those games so can't tell you if it's any good. The interface seems pretty. Hope that helps.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 Paranoid Jack

Does anyone else have Dota2 showing up as already owned... yet you can't remember purchasing it?

Then when you try to play it it says you are in spectator mode only?

How is it? Worth $15 at this point? Any opinions would be highly appreciated, thanks.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 01:11 J

Saboth wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 23:36:
J wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 14:32:
I'm considering Space Marine if it drops another 5. I wouldn't pay 10 for it though.

I just got that in a bundle on Amazon. "Tantalizing THQ Bundle". It was $7.50 then I had some kind of credit for $5.00 off, making it $2.50, then I got another $5.00 credit making it like negative 2.50.

Now that bundle is like $129.
Played!

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 23:36 Saboth

J wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 14:32:
I'm considering Space Marine if it drops another 5. I wouldn't pay 10 for it though.

I just got that in a bundle on Amazon. "Tantalizing THQ Bundle". It was $7.50 then I had some kind of credit for $5.00 off, making it $2.50, then I got another $5.00 credit making it like negative 2.50.

Now that bundle is like $129.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 23:03 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 22:48:
I do think it's odd that they don't give you giftable copies of EVERYTHING, but it might actually be part of the reason they're able to give you such insane discounts on bundles.
Have you noticed that usually valve does? I think its up to the publisher.

And its not odd at all, the idea is to keep from saturating the market. Now whether or not thats a legitimate concern is another matter.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 22:48 jacobvandy

Well, that's when you consider the price of buying what you want separately. The Darksiders Franchise Pack cost me $13.50 for Darksiders 2 and all its DLC... I certainly wasn't bemoaning the loss of an extra copy of the first game. Dawn of War Franchise Pack is a similarly amazing deal at $10.

I do think it's odd that they don't give you giftable copies of EVERYTHING, but it might actually be part of the reason they're able to give you such insane discounts on bundles.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 21:30 The Half Elf

That's 'the suck' of it. Like to have a few games out of the bundle but sure as hell don't want to waste those extra copies

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 21:02 jacobvandy

No, you can't, unfortunately. You only get giftable copies of games when it states as such in the description.  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 20:22 The Half Elf

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 19:28:
The THQ Collection contains just about everything they released on Steam, not just 5-6 games. Including Darksiders 2, which costs the same as the bundle if you buy it separately. Not surprising at all...

Question is, if you have some of those games can you then gift them or what?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 19:28 jacobvandy

The THQ Collection contains just about everything they released on Steam, not just 5-6 games. Including Darksiders 2, which costs the same as the bundle if you buy it separately. Not surprising at all...  

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 19:15 Kitkoan

I'm surprised the THQ Collection is on the list after considering the Humble Bundle THQ just passed.  

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo