Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Festivus Mobilization

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 19:12 DangerDog

The lack of apps was going to be Microsofts achilles heel going into the tablet market, releasing an ARM processor based tablet was the number one stupidest move they could make.

Should have been an x86 based tablet, cut costs somewhere else - or sell it at a loss. Win people over to the dark side with their crappy 'modern UI' apps over time.

meanwhile at least you could actually use the device as a functional computer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 13:00 Beamer

If the RT is a shitty computer with zero usefulness so is the iPad. Or at least it was at launch. Yet it outsells PCs. So the Microsoft team would have to be fired if they didn't try something. And the RT isn't terrible compared to the iPad. It's lacking apps.
This is less a positive for the RT and a negative for the iPad.

How are any of the other competitors better than the RT. Many, if not most, of the RT reviews said it was fine, other than the lack of apps. It isn't iPad quality, but nothing can be at launch. Sorry, no 1st generation product competes with 3rd or 4th generation products. It takes a while.

Salespeople wouldn't have had a chance. Headlines would have been "Microsoft iPad competitor is twice the price - Microsoft fail."

Listen, I'm not saying the RT is a great product, or that they made great choices. I'm saying that people acting like it's so clearly stupid and they're so stupid and blah blah blah. It isn't as clear cut as you guys make it and it isn't as simple to succeed as you guys pretend. It's not a great product. The decisions made haven't worked out. But it isn't like there was a clearly intelligent path and a clearly stupid path and they went down one. It's easy to sit here and backseat quarterback but I'd guess that if most of you had been on these teams you would have fully backed the idea to make a very well built iPad competitor and hit with it first.

Again, I am not saying what they did was right. I'm not saying that the Surface is a good product. I'm saying this isn't nearly as obviously dumb as people like to claim. Few things often are.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 12:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Dec 24, 2012, 10:38:
1) They thought it would catch on. It didn't, but if it had this wouldn't be a huge deal

The fact a shitty computer with zero usefulness doesn't catch on shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. Apparently it was to Microsoft. Their entire marketing department needs to be fired, because they obviously have no clue how to do market research.

2) It's the iPad competitor. iPads far outsell other computers, so jumping into that market instead of creating a new one makes sense

Except that you don't create a new market with a shitty product. I know that, and all I know about marketing is what I learned from dating a marketing major. (not recommended.)

Furthermore, everyone else has been trying to compete with the iPad, with FAR better machines than the Surface RT and failed horribly too, so why did MS think they were going to do any better? Oh wait, they're Microsoft, I forgot. They still think that their every move shakes the foundations of the universe. I don't know who's become more pathetic in their attempts to stay relevant: Microsoft or id software.

3) It's an apples-to-apples comparison. Consumers would have flipped out over the 2x price if the Pro came out first

That's possible, but at least at that point your salesmen can say "Yes, it's more expensive, BUT, it can do this, it can do that, it's compatible with all desktop apps, it's far more powerful than an iPad, yadda yadda yadda. You know all those things you wished an iPad could do? This does them."

That is how you sell a product. What were those salesmen going to say with the Surface RT? "Well, hey, look on the bright side. It's not as expensive as it could have been! And... uh... well, it has a cool name. It's almost like Surf! You'll be web-surfing on your Surface! If that isn't hip, I don't know WHAT is!"

4) They decided to go post-holidays to not piss off their hardware partners. It seems this was a very conscious decision to avoid butting heads with Dell, Toshiba, etc.

All of whom they are still throwing under the buss with the Surface anyway, and who they already threw under a buss with Windows 8 which is horrible for their hardware partners' computers. I doubt they really cared much. And in any case, that still doesn't explain why they didn't shove the Surface RT to summer 2013 then.

Releasing the Pro first was guaranteed death. Releasing the RT first doesn't seem as bad.

No, because it's sold like fucking hotcakes! Everyone I know has a Surface!

wait...

It's simple: You get customers interested with your most impressive looking and performing product. Then, when they inevitably realize they can't afford that one, you offer them a cheaper version.
Even fucking GM can figure this out in their advertisements, and they are about the most inept corporation on the entire planet.

Creston

8. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 10:38 Beamer

The Pro looks like it's exactly what I need.
And I'm not as convinced releasing the RT first was as dumb as you guys think:
1) They thought it would catch on. It didn't, but if it had this wouldn't be a huge deal
2) It's the iPad competitor. iPads far outsell other computers, so jumping into that market instead of creating a new one makes sense
3) It's an apples-to-apples comparison. Consumers would have flipped out over the 2x price if the Pro came out first
4) They decided to go post-holidays to not piss off their hardware partners. It seems this was a very conscious decision to avoid butting heads with Dell, Toshiba, etc.

Of course, in the end the RT fell flat and it failed to have the hype and buzz it could have had if the Pro wasn't around the corner. The people that would be die-hards and would spread positive word-of-mouth all held off on RT purchases because they wanted a Pro. Or at least to know the price of the Pro.

My guess is the Pro wasn't ready, anyway, considering it hasn't really been seen in months. So it was a choice of missing the holidays or releasing the RT first. Releasing the Pro first was guaranteed death. Releasing the RT first doesn't seem as bad.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 07:35 nin

You do NOT go to market first with your shitty, underpowered version, only to bring out the actual good product two months later

They got a glance at the apple playbook and thought "why not?".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 24, 2012, 05:33 eRe4s3r

the Surface Pro will run all of those Windows 7 applications

The end-times approach

But I agree with Creston, why they did not release this first is absolutely astoundingly stupid. Nobody gave a shit about Windows RT tablets, we wanted native Windows tablets, full 64bit enforced. 100% compatibility to all desktop applications.

And now MS brings it out and fucks their entire (probably legitimate!) hype up with the RT tablets.. wow

And an I5 on Windows 8 tablets... you hear that AMD? That's your last hope exploding in a fireball. Windows tablet with I5 runs everything that runs on desktop and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU on it means you can play mostly every game (at least on low!)

Unbelievable that MS fucks up a pivotal tech release like this. This is literally one of the prime releases of this decade. A Windows 64bit ultrabook with proper GPU and CPU, it could potentially replace the desktop for a great many uses (hardcore games excluded)

By the way, the only sour point is it not having more USB ports... Although I guess we could always plugin a proper powered HUB

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2012, 05:41.

5. Re: Wired FTW! Dec 24, 2012, 01:52 Ant

Axis wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 23:20:
Bout 6 months ago I took almost all my devices off the waves and wired up my home after years of wireless - how wonderful that old-school wired connection really is.
Wired FTW. I don't like wireless since it is not stable even at 100% signal strength. I like fast speeds too!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 23, 2012, 23:34 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 23:28:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 17:25:
and there goes Microsoft Surface Pro, straight into the bargain discount bin.

The Windows RT Surface isn't even worth its weight in recyclable materials.

It's astounding that there is nobody at Microsoft that understands basic marketing principles. You do NOT go to market first with your shitty, underpowered version, only to bring out the actual good product two months later. This sours the customer on your product, and they will have no interest in it anymore by the time it becomes worth taking a look at.

And yet MS happily keeps on doing it. "Let's release the Surface Shit first, so everyone can laugh at us and ignore the entire Surface product line before we ever get around to launching something that might actually be a good product and would get us some decent market share."

What a bunch of fucking morons.

Creston

Agreed - launch the flagship product first, get people excited about it, and then go "hey, here's the version you can actually afford!"

Works for the car companies.

3. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 23, 2012, 23:28 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 17:25:

It's astounding that there is nobody at Microsoft that understands basic marketing principles. You do NOT go to market first with your shitty, underpowered version, only to bring out the actual good product two months later. This sours the customer on your product, and they will have no interest in it anymore by the time it becomes worth taking a look at.

And yet MS happily keeps on doing it. "Let's release the Surface Shit first, so everyone can laugh at us and ignore the entire Surface product line before we ever get around to launching something that might actually be a good product and would get us some decent market share."

What a bunch of fucking morons.

Creston

2. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 23, 2012, 23:20 Axis

Bout 6 months ago I took almost all my devices off the waves and wired up my home after years of wireless - how wonderful that old-school wired connection really is.

Yours truly,

Axis

1. Re: Festivus Mobilization Dec 23, 2012, 17:25 DangerDog

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo