Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project GODUS Funded

The Kickstarter Campaign for Project GODUS has successfully concluded, ultimately bringing in £526,563, comfortably exceeding the £450,000 goal for this god game from Peter Molyneux and 22cans, and just triggering the stretch goal for a Linux version, while falling short of the final milestone that would have triggered an Ouya version. Word is: "Thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting GODUS. Our job is now to work on and complete GODUS, the game we've fallen in love with, and to make it the game you want to play."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 11:16 LC

Maybe after the success of this one he will do a kickstarter for Milo next?

Anyone besides me think Molyneux must be a big P.T. Barnum fan?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 10:22 Prez

If Pete makes a good game of course I'll buy it, but considering his penchant for over-hyping and under-delivering there's just no way I'm going to fund one of his "visions" given his recent history.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 02:30 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 22:22:
Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:46:
Yeah, people seem to forget it got bad enough that Molyneux wasn't even allowed at events like E3 without PR handlers to keep him from promising all kinds of crazy shit. It's a wonder he never got hit with multiple class-action suits.

You mean like the Far Cry 3 E3 Demonstration? Or the original Alan Wake demonstrations? Or the tentacle monster from Half Life 2? Or ... hell I could go on all day.

Fair enough, but I'd counter that while individual elements got bumped out or left out for whatever reason, the shit that was supposed to be in Fable was something that even today couldn't be done. Permanent, long-term consequences to every important (and some unimportant) decisions you made.

Hell, google "Peter Molyneux Apologizes" and you'll find like half a dozen personal apologies for over-promising shit over and over and over again.

35. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 02:25 Flatline

entr0py wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:06:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:28:
Yeah Molyneux did a great job with Spore... probably because he didn't overpromise at all.

Because he didn't work on that game.

Yeah, somehow I confused him with maxis. Okay to replace that I thought Dungeon Keeper was great at the time. His recent track record doesn't leave me very hopeful, but I do like that they're trying something unusual.

DK2 was, IMHO, superior in just about every way for me thank DK1.

And Black & White was basically Populus with a Tamagotchi. It was fun, but hardly revolutionary.

34. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 01:06 entr0py

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:28:
Yeah Molyneux did a great job with Spore... probably because he didn't overpromise at all.

Yeah, somehow I confused him with maxis. Okay to replace that I thought Dungeon Keeper was great at the time. His recent track record doesn't leave me very hopeful, but I do like that they're trying something unusual.

33. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 00:36 nin

He had nothing to do with spore. That was Will Wright.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 00:28 TychoCelchuuu

31. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 23:45 entr0py

Molyneux delivered interesting and unique elements in Black & White as well as Spore, they just weren't fleshed out with enough enjoyable gameplay. Still I'd rather see him take another crack at something that is in theory promising than hear about another safe and mediocre licensed game.

I don't feel any urge to fund it, he's rich and successful enough already. But if he comes up with something good I'll buy it.

30. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 22:22 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:46:
Yeah, people seem to forget it got bad enough that Molyneux wasn't even allowed at events like E3 without PR handlers to keep him from promising all kinds of crazy shit. It's a wonder he never got hit with multiple class-action suits.

You mean like the Far Cry 3 E3 Demonstration? Or the original Alan Wake demonstrations? Or the tentacle monster from Half Life 2? Or ... hell I could go on all day.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 20:26 Dmitri_M

Blahman wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:37:
Dmitri_M wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:31:
That this got funded is truly a sign of just how spineless gamers are.

Explain.

He's a guy who spews nonsense at gamers that's actually aimed at his publishers and shareholders. He can fund this himself if he really wants to produce it. A lot of gamers talk about how he's a hype machine but I bet they all gave to this project. Spineless.

28. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 19:46 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 17:18 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 15:13:
Ignore Fable 3, play 1 and 2 (2 is the best in the series).

And Peter left Bullfrog BEFORE EA bought it.

And do me a favor and go back 20 years and name 1 developer who has constantly tried new thing, dared to dream beyond the publisher's grasp.
Some of his projects are very different, but at least he's not shoving out Dungeon Keeper on a yearly basis.

Promising the moon when you know you only can go 20 miles is not "new", it's called "snake oil salesman".

Remember how you'd be able to plant a tree in Fable and watch it grow as time went on? Or *any* of what fable has ever promised us? What Molyneux *pitches* is nothing short of ground-breaking, but what he delivers is pretty banal.

26. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 16:22 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 16:19:
nin wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:30:
6 hours left on Limit Theory!

I would fund it if the $15 hadn't sold out... oh well, I'll just buy it @ release.
I've noticed sometimes in lower priced limited qty tiers a spot opens up in the last few hours, because people upgrade pledges.

25. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 16:22 Dev

This is one game I'm going to wait until its out and read the reviews first before I get it. I think this mostly got funded because people read "populus"
Only time will tell if funding it was a good thing or not.

24. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 16:19 Fibrocyte

I would fund it if the $15 hadn't sold out... oh well, I'll just buy it @ release.

23. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 16:07 Kythlyn

I'm pretty happy about this. The god sim genre is severely lacking lately. And while Black & White and its sequel failed in the real time strategy side of their ambitions, they were successful as interesting sandboxes. Hopefully the team will learn from the past and create something that is the whole package. But even if all we get is a bad game and a great sandbox, I'll still be happy with the sandbox.  

22. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 15:42 stingray

I backed this game as well. The genre needs fresh blood and Josh sure shows that he's made of the right stuff for the job.

21. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 15:39 wtf_man

Couldn't care less about a success for Molyneux, however I am happy for the rest of the 22cans team, which seems to be a small indie development company at this time.

Since Molyneux's reputation almost hindered the project... with hope, the experience has humbled him some... We'll see.

20. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 15:18 dj LiTh

All the stretch goals i cared about for LT already hit (planet ownership/faction creation), carriers would be nice, but i'll be very happy if LT can pull everything together as is. I'm extremely excited for this project, much more so than any other i've seen lately.

Glad GODUS got funded, however i wasnt one of them...if it comes out with good reviews i'll be very happy to pick it up.

19. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 15:13 The Half Elf

Ignore Fable 3, play 1 and 2 (2 is the best in the series).

And Peter left Bullfrog BEFORE EA bought it.

And do me a favor and go back 20 years and name 1 developer who has constantly tried new thing, dared to dream beyond the publisher's grasp.
Some of his projects are very different, but at least he's not shoving out Dungeon Keeper on a yearly basis.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo