Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg

The SimCity Blog has a follow-up to recent outcry over plans to require an internet connection to play the upcoming SimCity revival (thanks GameSpot). Lucy Bradshaw explains to players how this will make the game "even more fun." Here's a bit:

Running the regional simulation on our servers is something we also use to support features that will make this SimCity even more fun. We use the Sim data to update worldwide leaderboards, where you get to see your city or mayoral standings as compared to the other cities in your region and between all of the regions in the world. And since SimCity is a live service, we're also using the data to create weekly global and local challenges for our players that keep the gameplay fresh and surprising.

We think this is the best SimCity ever and it wouldn’t be possible without the technology that powers our game. SimCity was designed to be connected from the ground up. We built the game around GlassBox, which takes the game to another level. And, we’ve given the player control over how to play. You can set your region to private and never interact with other people, or you can play exclusively with friends or join a public region.

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

53. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 20:03 LArac

I can play my Steam games the single player ones offline and do so on my laptop.

But this I can not.

Lee

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 19:58 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 16:18:
You can set your region to private and never interact with other people,

And then when our servers go down, or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to play! YAY HAPPY FUN LAUGHS BUBBLES!

EA, no matter how many fucking bubbly t(w)its you drum up to pretend that it's all done for the player's benefit, it's still DRM, and you can still go fuck yourselves.

Creston

Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them. Look I get it for those who travel alot, or military who don't have an always on connection. But that's like a 1% of less minority of most PC gamers. It's no where near the issue some of you are making it out to be.

51. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 18:24 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 18:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 18:11:
If one has all these concerns, then don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us won't be - those who have an issue with the always on component, anyway. But that doesn't mean we aren't disappointed. I enjoyed the previous Sim City's, and would have enjoyed seeing a new iteration. So it's disappointing, if nothing else.
+1
The least we can do is bitch about it because I am sure as heck disappointed in the way EA took this game.
With that said Thanks to djlith to show me that extension for SimCity4 now the game runs in full 1080p, and it is like a new game!
If he was EA I would of have to pay $59.99 for that extension!

Steam: SpectralMeat

50. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 18:20 SpectralMeat

Dev wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 18:06:
Or does valve have twitter or something?
Yep : https://twitter.com/Steam_Support

Steam: SpectralMeat

49. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 18:17 Bhruic

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 18:11:
If one has all these concerns, then don't buy it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us won't be - those who have an issue with the always on component, anyway. But that doesn't mean we aren't disappointed. I enjoyed the previous Sim City's, and would have enjoyed seeing a new iteration. So it's disappointing, if nothing else.

48. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 18:11 HorrorScope

If one has all these concerns, then don't buy it. I can't believe Sim Games plays a passionate role here at Blue's and face it this is EA just being EA. At least they are upfront about it, I suppose.  

47. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 18:06 Dev

opie wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 17:57:
If you need EA's contact info: (cause it is hard to find)
Actually I'm more interested in VALVE's info. Since they've been dragging their heels through the stupid support ticket system. Its been like 3 weeks now, after I purchased a package that said it included a particular item, and it didn't. They also keep trying to close my support ticket without resolving it.

Or does valve have twitter or something?

I know gabe's email is public, I wonder what would happen if I emailed that.

46. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 17:57 opie

If you need EA's contact info: (cause it is hard to find)
Electronic Arts Inc
209 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, California 94065
(650) 628-1500
Customer service number: 866-543-5435

45. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 17:56 JaguarUSF

How about you make online play optional?  

44. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 17:37 Julio

So when are they adding microtransactions and making it a FPS? Those are good too, just like online DRM  

43. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 17:27 dj LiTh

The important thing i think regardless if you have or dont have a problem with the DRM is this: SimCity4 came out 9 almost 10 years ago, you really think EA is going to keep SC5 servers up in 10 years when its 'not economically viable'....because 10 years from now, i'll still be able to play SimCity4, and SC5 will be dead.  

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 17:12 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 14:26:
Am I really missing the point? I'm not sure the point here is about if the game is good or not. But always online DRM. I've stated the DRM doesn't bother me because I haven't been bitten. All that said, the game still has to be good, I personally don't know that yet. Yes it may suck and blow at the same time.

Ya, you're really missing the point. This is EA we're talking about. You know, the people who shut down the online component of their games after a year or so?

If SimCity doesn't sell well enough, the servers will be pulled and you'll be SOL on a game you purchased 18 months after you purchased it.

41. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 16:26 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 13:17:
It does sound like it can be single player only, just that you still need to be online, thus back to the DRM phobia. I get that it's not ideal, but I really believe very few really struggle being online consistently.

People who travel frequently for their job. People in the military. People who just want the choice because the implementation makes no sense. People who don't want features that are inherently negative to the user experience with little upside. People who don't want EA to be able to sunset the game at their will. If any of the above sounds like a phobia then you don't have a grasp on the discussion. Use your imagination, this isn't difficult stuff.

If the implementation can be toggled off at will then the connection requirement itself makes no sense.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

40. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 16:18 Creston

You can set your region to private and never interact with other people,

And then when our servers go down, or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to play! YAY HAPPY FUN LAUGHS BUBBLES!

EA, no matter how many fucking bubbly t(w)its you drum up to pretend that it's all done for the player's benefit, it's still DRM, and you can still go fuck yourselves.

Creston

39. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 16:06 HorrorScope

Dev wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 15:52:
Plus, nearly EVERY SINGLE GAME I've seen with leaderboards has had hackers all at the top with impossible to beat scores.

Now I can agree to that. For example Madden gets released, someone is 100-0 one all the games like 50-0... And they let is sit up there for long periods of time. Maddening.

38. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 15:52 Dev

LOL, just for fun I was checking origin yesterday. The only simcity that they show on the front page is an $80 digital deluxe version.
Rhino wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:09:
Leaderboards are fine for some games; but given that each player will have their own priorities or objectives then there is no consistent method of measurement for any leaderboard. That guy over there has a population that's several hundred times my own? Fine, assuming that I'm even trying to make a high population city.
Plus, nearly EVERY SINGLE GAME I've seen with leaderboards has had hackers all at the top with impossible to beat scores. The very few that don't usually have to police them manually to remove hackers. I doubt they built the game from ground up to be hacker proof. And I doubt they will have someone whose entire job for the next 5 years is is to find cheaters and ban them and remove the scores from leaderboards.

Except maybe snuggle trucks. I checked the leaderboards on that once or twice and they looked legit.

37. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 15:43 dj LiTh

Big thanks to Cutter for gifting SimCity4 to me as i wont be a slave to EA for this bastardization of simcity.

BTW if you want a custom resolution right click the game in your steam game list, then set launch options as:

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32

just change the number to whatever resolution you want.

36. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 15:26 Warrax

Such lame excuses, just make an offline option, done.  

35. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 15:18 SirKnight

SirKnight wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 15:10:
SimCity 4 Deluxe has been bought for 5 dolla. Downloading now...

aaaaaand done. Not bad, ~10min for a 1GB download at a little over 2 MB/sec.

34. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 15:13 Beelzebud

It worked so well for Diablo 3!  

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo