Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg

The SimCity Blog has a follow-up to recent outcry over plans to require an internet connection to play the upcoming SimCity revival (thanks GameSpot). Lucy Bradshaw explains to players how this will make the game "even more fun." Here's a bit:

Running the regional simulation on our servers is something we also use to support features that will make this SimCity even more fun. We use the Sim data to update worldwide leaderboards, where you get to see your city or mayoral standings as compared to the other cities in your region and between all of the regions in the world. And since SimCity is a live service, we're also using the data to create weekly global and local challenges for our players that keep the gameplay fresh and surprising.

We think this is the best SimCity ever and it wouldn’t be possible without the technology that powers our game. SimCity was designed to be connected from the ground up. We built the game around GlassBox, which takes the game to another level. And, we’ve given the player control over how to play. You can set your region to private and never interact with other people, or you can play exclusively with friends or join a public region.

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

73. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 06:33 RollinThundr

entr0py wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:17:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:39:
Verno wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:27:
entr0py wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:03:
You don't know that Steam, Origin and GFWL all have offline modes? I believe Steam has some requirement whereby every couple of months you have to authenticate or offline mode stops working. But that is pretty friendly to people with laptops or crappy connections. Still bones people with no internet access at all though.

Yep exactly. The comparison between something like Steam and an individual game like Simcity is completely flawed anyway. One is a service to sell games, the other is an actual game. There is a pretty big feature gap between them. Digital distro services have to implement DRM as per publisher requirements, publishers on the other hand get to choose what goes into their games.

EA chose this path because they like under pinning their games with online connectivity now as it gives a convenient excuse to retire unsuccessful ones that aren't generating an ongoing revenue stream. Look at the rather pitiful list of online features and tell me with a straight face that they couldn't have done that on demand instead of requiring always on.

Anyway sorry Rolling but you're 100% wrong here. People definitely hate EA for a variety of reasons but in this case it's 100% justified, their rather long standing tradition of shitting on older franchises is pretty well documented.

Oh well hopefully they learn their lesson from this. I'm off to my familys place for a few days, merry christmas everyone!

Honestly, how many people use offline mode for steam on a regular basis? Or GFWL or Origin? Unless you're traveling prolly not very often, or live in the sticks with shit for internet.

I really don't think this is as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be.

Verno is right that the real issue is game specific always online DRM, and distribution platforms are a bit of a tangent. But did you play Diablo 3? Even if you have a great internet connection, you'll still often have your single player game ruined by server maintenance or server side lag. There's no benefit for the player, just unpredictable inconvenience.

That's part of why I don't think EA/Maxis should take D3's success as encouragement to try the same shenanigans. A lot of people who hoped it wouldn't be so bad were burned by D3 and learned their lesson.

The reason I don't consider it the same situation as D3 is really, this is EA trying to deter pirates, where as the only reason D3 was online only was Blizzard wanting to push everyone towards their real money AH.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 04:52 Julio

finga wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 03:14:
Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:16:
18-24 months
You don't need to exaggerate like this in order to make your point.

Actually EA shuts down online games as soon as 12 months. So think of this as SimCity 2013 edition. After 1 year, there's no guarantee you'll be able to still play the game.

71. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 04:07 Kosumo

This smell totally like Spore - remember that game, No? Well, this is the reason why.  

70. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 03:14 finga

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:16:
18-24 months
You don't need to exaggerate like this in order to make your point.

69. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 01:17 entr0py

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:39:
You don't know that Steam, Origin and GFWL all have offline modes? I believe Steam has some requirement whereby every couple of months you have to authenticate or offline mode stops working. But that is pretty friendly to people with laptops or crappy connections. Still bones people with no internet access at all though.

Yep exactly. The comparison between something like Steam and an individual game like Simcity is completely flawed anyway. One is a service to sell games, the other is an actual game. There is a pretty big feature gap between them. Digital distro services have to implement DRM as per publisher requirements, publishers on the other hand get to choose what goes into their games.

EA chose this path because they like under pinning their games with online connectivity now as it gives a convenient excuse to retire unsuccessful ones that aren't generating an ongoing revenue stream. Look at the rather pitiful list of online features and tell me with a straight face that they couldn't have done that on demand instead of requiring always on.

Anyway sorry Rolling but you're 100% wrong here. People definitely hate EA for a variety of reasons but in this case it's 100% justified, their rather long standing tradition of shitting on older franchises is pretty well documented.

Oh well hopefully they learn their lesson from this. I'm off to my familys place for a few days, merry christmas everyone!

Honestly, how many people use offline mode for steam on a regular basis? Or GFWL or Origin? Unless you're traveling prolly not very often, or live in the sticks with shit for internet.

Verno is right that the real issue is game specific always online DRM, and distribution platforms are a bit of a tangent. But did you play Diablo 3? Even if you have a great internet connection, you'll still often have your single player game ruined by server maintenance or server side lag. There's no benefit for the player, just unpredictable inconvenience.

That's part of why I don't think EA/Maxis should take D3's success as encouragement to try the same shenanigans. A lot of people who hoped it wouldn't be so bad were burned by D3 and learned their lesson.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2012, 01:37.

68. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 01:16 Creston

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:58:
Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them.

Stop being a tool. This argument has been made ad nauseam, and you really should know by now how fucking retarded it is. When my ISP goes down (which sadly it does quite often, and typically for entire weekends at a time), I can run Steam in offline mode and play my games. (I can do the same with Uplay, but funny enough not with Origin, for whatever reason.)

When my ISP goes down, I won't be able to play SimCity. When EA's servers go down, I won't be able to play SimCity. When EA decides to pull the plug in 18-24 months, nobody will EVER be able to play SimCity again. To me, this is unacceptable.

If you have no problem with that, great. Buy the game, and I hope you enjoy it. But stop trying to dictate to others what they consider to be an issue. Last I checked, I didn't give you a power of attorney over my gaming decisions.

Creston

67. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:53 jacobvandy

Forget offline mode; Steam doesn't kick you out of your game if your connection drops while you were previously online... That's not even up to them, it's the individual game's developer/publisher. In this case, EA/Maxis are the ones implementing these ridiculous "features." If you can't comprehend that, you have no business discussing this topic.  

66. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:49 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:43:
People hate EA because they're EA. Plain and simple.

No people hate EA when they do shitty things like this. They don't just hate them for no reason, EA does dumb shit to earn it. Plain and simple.

Funny how offline mode was a big deal when it was Blizzard but suddenly doesn't matter now. BN posters didn't cause this, reddit posters did and they were so many that EA felt obligated to respond so it isn't a small vocal minority.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

65. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:43 RollinThundr

Dades wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:19:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:59:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:49:
Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them. Look I get it for those who travel alot, or military who don't have an always on connection. But that's like a 1% of less minority of most PC gamers. It's no where near the issue some of you are making it out to be.

LOL, typical winger. Disregards facts, or doesn't bother to learn them, instead saying what feels "right." Don't go away Thundr, we love you man.

Fact of the matter is, if it was another publisher behind the game most of you prolly wouldn't give a shit. I get it, it's popular to hate EA for any reason.

Fact of the matter is that you hated on Blizzard for months for the same reason and are trying to dodge the hypocrisy. Your argument to the contrary involving DRM with online services has already been debunked. Most online services have an offline mode or don't require a consistent connection, just a polling one.

People don't hate EA for any reason, they hate EA because they do this kind of shit to games. Do people need to draw it with crayons for you?

People hate EA because they're EA. Plain and simple. BN's posters tend to hate more on average to begin with regardless of what publisher is involved.

You're right, I did criticize blizzard, and I should have trusted my gut and not bit on D3. However I don't think it's far from the truth that Blizzard could shit in a box and alot of people would call it the greatest shit ever and slap all sorts of shit of the year awards on it just for coming from Blizzard's ass.

64. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:39 RollinThundr

63. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:27 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

62. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:19 Dades

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:59:
Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them. Look I get it for those who travel alot, or military who don't have an always on connection. But that's like a 1% of less minority of most PC gamers. It's no where near the issue some of you are making it out to be.

LOL, typical winger. Disregards facts, or doesn't bother to learn them, instead saying what feels "right." Don't go away Thundr, we love you man.

Fact of the matter is, if it was another publisher behind the game most of you prolly wouldn't give a shit. I get it, it's popular to hate EA for any reason.

Fact of the matter is that you hated on Blizzard for months for the same reason and are trying to dodge the hypocrisy. Your argument to the contrary involving DRM with online services has already been debunked. Most online services have an offline mode or don't require a consistent connection, just a polling one.

People don't hate EA for any reason, they hate EA because they do this kind of shit to games. Do people need to draw it with crayons for you?

61. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 00:03 entr0py

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 16:18:
You can set your region to private and never interact with other people,

And then when our servers go down, or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to play! YAY HAPPY FUN LAUGHS BUBBLES!

EA, no matter how many fucking bubbly t(w)its you drum up to pretend that it's all done for the player's benefit, it's still DRM, and you can still go fuck yourselves.

Creston

60. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 23:59 RollinThundr

Let's be honest, the industry on the whole is moving towards DRM, or already has, be it EA, Valve or any other publisher. Either get used to it, or find another hobby.

59. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 23:49 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 23:25 Dades

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 23:14:
EA can burn for I'll I care, the thing is they are being transparent months in advance.

They have to be transparent, can't exactly hide these things from the press and public. They don't get points for answering questions from the press and making up excuses why they inserted a draconian form of DRM into the game. Leaderboards, wow how could they have accomplished such a wonder without a persistent connection?! The quality of the game looks like its suffering from both the DRM and a desire of EA to dumb it down for a wider audience.

57. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 23:14 HorrorScope

Dades wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 21:53:
Ugh enough with the EA defense already.

EA can burn for I'll I care, the thing is they are being transparent months in advance. You decide if you buy it or not. For me it will be if the game is any good or not, not always online, that I have no issue with, I play mmo/online games all the time. Your mileage may vary.

56. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 21:53 Dades

Yet you all have no problem buying hundreds of titles on Steam only to be always online to play them.

Yet you were the one bitching about D3 and still ended up buying it don't talk to anyone else about being a hypocrite. Your example sucks too, Steam has a working offline mode, this will not. People can buy games on most digital services and still play them offline, the difference is pretty important.

If one has all these concerns, then don't buy it. I can't believe Sim Games plays a passionate role here at Blue's and face it this is EA just being EA. At least they are upfront about it, I suppose.

Ugh enough with the EA defense already. The AMA was on Reddit, not Bluesnews. You might not like to face it but it seems like its a pretty popular issue to the point where EA is trying to deflate it. People like Simcity, its a popular PC classic, they want to buy the game but EA is doing their best to dissuade them.

55. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 21:26 jacobvandy

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 16:18:
You can set your region to private and never interact with other people,

And then when our servers go down, or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to play! YAY HAPPY FUN LAUGHS BUBBLES!

EA, no matter how many fucking bubbly t(w)its you drum up to pretend that it's all done for the player's benefit, it's still DRM, and you can still go fuck yourselves.

Creston

LOL. Dude, you have no idea what "always-on DRM" even means. Steam is NOT always-on DRM.

54. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 22, 2012, 20:53 NamecaF

Yet another game I'm going to pirate rather than buy now. Good job Maxis  

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo