Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2012, 06:18 Lord Tea

I always hated those idiotic, artificial bandwidth caps in the US. Cox never really enforced them on my node but I guess I was lucky- with not too many heavy users. Of course they could have...
Here in good old Europe I get to enjoy five times the speed for half the cost and NO bandwidth caps. I'm glad there's finally some movement in the right direction for the end user in the US.

UPSA = United Police States of America
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 15:20 Dades

PHJF wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 12:43:
How are landline broadband caps such a red flag when the entire cellphone industry is based around data caps? Is wireless data really so much more precious than wired?

Wireless data is incredibly expensive. You license spectrum which is itself very expensive. The infrastructure needs constant maintenance by highly qualified staff. You need costly permits for local municipalities and to rent the space from local businesses or whoever is leasing the space where you need to drop a site. Your insurance costs are 2-3 times higher than a wireline business. The equipment needed is sold at enterprise rates. On top of that you have all of the expenses of your average ISP.

All things considered, wireless data is actually cheap in some respects.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 15:11 jdreyer

@LittleMe

I see, so you'd prefer a 25GB cap on your wired internet? B/C that's what happens with these large, non-competitive, monopolies that supply our internet service. 25 GB is what they have in Canada, and don't think it can't happen here. 25 GB is like DLing 3 games on Steam. Per month. Or watching about 10 hours of HD video. Cable companies absolutely will add caps to protect their cable service from Netflix. This isn't the car industry. A lack of regulation will see you paying $2 per gigabyte.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 14:17 Cutter

Their profit margins are a hell of a lot higher than 95%. Gigabytes of traffic cost them pennies, if that. There's never been any real competition in the telco/cable markets so it's long past due to open them up or put them all under government regulation.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 13:08 LittleMe

How are landline broadband caps such a red flag when the entire cellphone industry is based around data caps? Is wireless data really so much more precious than wired?

On the spectrum, it sure is. Wired bandwidth is not really as big of an issue as this politician makes it out to be.

IMO he's looking for a backdoor way into regulating the Internet under pretenses that most people won't oppose. First it's this harmless thing like this that few object to. They get settled in for a few years and then ten or twenty years from now it turns into a "War on the Internet" with a broad unconstitutional federal witch hunt. As if this law would be constitutional anyway. I don't think it is.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 13:06 killer_roach

On the backhaul end, no.

On the spectrum end, oh yes.

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 12:43 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 12:40 jdreyer

Glad to see they understand the crux of the problem:

“Americans are increasingly tethered to the Internet and connecting more devices to it, but they don’t really have the tools to effectively manage data consumption across their networks,” Wyden said in an advisory. “Data caps create challenges for consumers and run the risk of undermining innovation in the digital economy if they are imposed bluntly and not designed to truly manage network congestion.”

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2012, 12:32 LittleMe

The study found that broadband providers have enjoyed increasing profits and decreasing costs, to the point where many are seeing “gross margins as high as 95 percent,” by some estimates. “For these companies, selling broadband packages even to the heaviest users is still quite profitable,” researchers wrote.

Sounds like their government-backed franchises are no longer needed since their profit margins are so high. The whole point of getting these sweet franchise deals was that the profit margins were too low and that the only way they could provide service is if they had a monopoly.

I'd only support this law if it exclusively applied to providers that operate under the benefit of franchise agreements.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo