Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy winter to those of us in the northern hemisphere, and happy summer to those below the equator (and happy perpetual summer to those along the equator itself), as yesterday was the solstice. As I mentioned along the way in the past couple of crazy days here, the problems with our FiOS phone finally got straightened out: The order was written incorrectly, which held things up, and the pesky order then defied several efforts to purge it from the system, which prevented anything else from happening. We also got our power back last night after a surprisingly long outage: We often have short blackouts from trees breaking overhead lines, but this time there was a fire which caused the pole to fall, and a repair had to wait for them to erect a new one. Thanks for your patience as this got sorted.

R.I.P.: Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman dies at age 70.

Winter Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Science: Bears were used in test flights of world’s first supersonic jet bomber.
Media: The Embarrassing Aftermath of the Mayan Apocalypse. NSFW.
Amazing 3D illusions on paper.
The Best Action Scenes of 2012.
Follow-up: Celebrations in Mexico as world survives Maya "end of days".

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 09:56 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 06:37:
Do you use a humidifier at home, Bats? You should if you don't. I do and it makes a world of difference. You should at least be using skin moisturizer.

I like the Florida keys a lot but if I could live anywhere in the US it would be New Mexico. If I lived in the northern US it would probably be Wyoming. There's some seriously beautiful country there.

Yup and I do....still doen't do the trick. I use Neutrogena hand cream for abcks of my hands, the problem being i wash my hands a million times a day as well....all the nasty crap i tough at work. yuck.

Anyway.

ATL (duh), GB, MN, Giants, TB, CAR, MIA, Pitt, NE, IND, NO, Phi, DEN, CHI, SF, SD.

GO AP GO!!!!!!!

Probably be another weird week. Was 10-6 last week (not sure where my 2 picks went, oh well.) These last few weeks are hell on fantasy for the late leagues (our champ game is next week so sucky) and are hell on betting.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 09:38 PHJF

I was about 1.5 miles from the beach in NC for summer and I'd gladly endure Cleveland winter in place of that. Constantly maxed humidity and 90-100 temps. Running outside in that day after day was a bloody nightmare.

I never got over how Dexter et al are always running around Miami and NEVER do I see anyone sweating. Hollywood magic!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 09:31 Dades

Use a skin moisturizer, I have the same problem in winter with my skin cracking and it works wonders. The problem with moving closer to the equator is that the temperatures tend to be unrelenting, at least in MN you get seasonal change. For some people that's good, a lot of people get headaches due to barometric changes but for other people that's bad, if you sweat a lot or have a ton of body hair for example. Florida isn't a dry heat, it can get very sticky and unpleasant at times. Also I hope you know spanish, it's quickly becoming a first language there despite the efforts of crackpot right wing racists to cling on.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 08:46 The Half Elf

LOL I'll have to save that story for my nephews..
'You know that bears use to test jet planes for NASA... and then killed them?'

I may require a place to lay low for a week or two after that story, if I can outrun my sister and her 49lbs purse.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 07:58 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am amazed no one has brought up our (soon to be) Supersonic Bear Overlords.

Oh wait, heartless imported Nazi scientists(remember, it's the 1950s) euthanized all the bears shortly afterwards. Merry Christmas!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 06:37 Cutter

Do you use a humidifier at home, Bats? You should if you don't. I do and it makes a world of difference. You should at least be using skin moisturizer.

I like the Florida keys a lot but if I could live anywhere in the US it would be New Mexico. If I lived in the northern US it would probably be Wyoming. There's some seriously beautiful country there.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 03:30 xXBatmanXx

Rigs wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 02:14:
I will gladly trade places with anyone in a cold, snow weather zone from here in FL! Seriously, FL is NOT all it's cracked up to be. It's NOT all beaches and hotels/resorts. It's, for the most part, boring rural areas full of ignorant racist rednecks. I realized the other day that I was feeling depressed lately because I hadn't been out of this state in nearly 10 years...it wears on you. There is so much STUPIDITY in this state that after a while you begin to lose faith in all of humanity...

=-Rigs-=

My body actually does a lot better in humidity. Right now my skin is cracking and bleeding. That is not normal and it doesn't stop until late Feb. I sleep better I feel better, etc etc etc in humidity. The more the better.

The pace of life in the south is something that would bother me.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:38 The Half Elf

Worst problem I had with Florida is the humidity and senior citizen drivers. Least for the most part, when it rains in FL it typically drops the temp down 10 or so degree's.

Being a Native Southern Californian (near San Diego), I can sorta tolerate humidity, and sorta tolerate the cold/snow (still think snow is cool), but this year I've been freezing my ass off. Not sure if it's due to having a really mild winter here in the Cincinnati area last year or what.

As for Bats, I'd send you my extra blankets, socks and heaters... in March but I need them right now.

But unlike Rigs one of the things I love about Florida is there is so many different types of places all in a days drive (kinda like California). Miami, Tampa, up in the gulf, the Keys, Orlando, etc.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 02:14 Rigs

I will gladly trade places with anyone in a cold, snow weather zone from here in FL! Seriously, FL is NOT all it's cracked up to be. It's NOT all beaches and hotels/resorts. It's, for the most part, boring rural areas full of ignorant racist rednecks. I realized the other day that I was feeling depressed lately because I hadn't been out of this state in nearly 10 years...it wears on you. There is so much STUPIDITY in this state that after a while you begin to lose faith in all of humanity...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 00:25 Paranoid Jack

The order was written incorrectly, which held things up, and the pesky order then defied several efforts to purge it from the system, when prevented anything else from happening.

I guessed it... nine out of ten times its the order being written wrong or an error occurring while the program is flowing through. Glad they finally listened to you then ripped and rebuilt it. A shame they didn't listen and try it soon though.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 20:48 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:48:
BobBob wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 17:31:
Hard to imagine anyone in the human race can enjoy sub 60 F (15 C) temperatures. Okay, back to the beach today.

Tolerate yes, enjoy no. I was so meant not to be a northerner. I'm all Ole Ole Hot Hot Hot!

Years ago I had an opportunity to move to Florida.......I should have. I hate it here in MN. Dry skin, cold, wind, dry indoor air from heaters, ice, snow, shoveling, hard compacted ice, falling, slipping, pulling muscles, tearing my miniscus, writing crash reports in the snow, standing in negative degree weather in the middle of the night, wet hair freezing when walking outside, eye lashes freezing together, snow pants, gloves that just aren't doing their job, dead battery on car, frozen doors and windows on house and car, scraping windows, not being able to be outside for months......yea...not a fan of it here and I grew up in this crap....

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 19:48 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 17:31:
Hard to imagine anyone in the human race can enjoy sub 60 F (15 C) temperatures. Okay, back to the beach today.

Tolerate yes, enjoy no. I was so meant not to be a northerner. I'm all Ole Ole Hot Hot Hot!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 17:31 BobBob

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 15:40 The Half Elf

Isn't there some way to hook your dogs up to a treadmill or something? Put some important mail on a string and dangle it in front of them?
I mean... if the world ended yesterday you'd be doing it anyway.... right?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 15:14 jdreyer

Blue, I still think you should kickstart a "Project: Generator." It would be funded in a day. As well as gauge interest for the generator.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 14:13 Cutter

Hey Manchego!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2012, 13:11 nin

Hope everythings back to normal, Blue! Hope you, your family, and everyone here has a safe, fun holiday!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo