Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Eyeing THQ?

Ubisoft is eyeing THQ assets that are in play as part of THQ's bankruptcy, reports MCV, citing "sources." Their sources tell them Ubisoft is looking for bargains, and is willing to wait until specifics assets are sold.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: ALIENS Dec 22, 2012, 11:48 Ant

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:26:
Get away from her you bitch!
"Game over, man. Game over!"

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 killer_roach

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 05:29:
Hopefully Valve will buy up the whole company, as I think that would be the best outcome. If not then Ubisoft is probably one of the better publishers, as it releases games on Steam and does excellent PC ports - EA would boycott Steam and require Origin; Activision would increase the price of games, make them all yearly series and fleece you on DLC; Bethesda seems to have no quality control;. 2K Games could be another reasonable choice but even though it has a larger revenue than Ubisoft it has a much lower operating income - it's really not being managed well.

UPlay certainly isn't necessary and is a minor annoyance but it's nothing compared to GFWL and it didn't really bother me with Far Cry 3.

Keep in mind that Ubisoft has a market cap of 750 million euro - just under $1 billion. They'd have to leverage themselves to the hilt to acquire THQ in total once they emerge from bankruptcy (as THQ's value was as low as it was due to its outstanding debt). They're just as likely, if not more, to be a "pick out pieces that we want" than even Valve would be (although Valve's actual market value is unknown since it's privately held, my best estimates would put it in the $1-3 billion range). For those wondering about Take-Two, they're almost exactly the same size as Ubisoft. (Just a wild guess, I'd place the value of a restructured THQ in the $500-800 million range, possibly as high as $1 billion.)

I've said before that the most likely players to acquire THQ in its entirety would be either Activision or Time Warner, with a bit of an edge to the latter. EA still is digesting a lot of their recent acquisitions, so I don't think they have much interest apart from possibly trying to pick up some IP on the cheap.

27. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 Cutter

Rockstar should buy the Saints Row IP.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

26. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 05:43 Paketep

Oh, god, no. Not ubi, please.  

25. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 05:29 theyarecomingforyou

Hopefully Valve will buy up the whole company, as I think that would be the best outcome. If not then Ubisoft is probably one of the better publishers, as it releases games on Steam and does excellent PC ports - EA would boycott Steam and require Origin; Activision would increase the price of games, make them all yearly series and fleece you on DLC; Bethesda seems to have no quality control;. 2K Games could be another reasonable choice but even though it has a larger revenue than Ubisoft it has a much lower operating income - it's really not being managed well.

UPlay certainly isn't necessary and is a minor annoyance but it's nothing compared to GFWL and it didn't really bother me with Far Cry 3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

24. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 05:21 Julio

entr0py wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:37:
Prez wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:31:
NOT good news. THQ wised up and began using Steamworks for their releases.

I've got to disagree with you there, unlike Uplay, Origin and GFWL don't feature always online DRM nonsense.

It sucks to ever be saddled with a required distribution platform/DRM package, but to me it's the always online trend that's truly intolerable.

Steam is also a DRM package, so its not much better than Uplay is. GOG for the win!

23. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 04:31 noman

Ubisoft have removed almost all of always-online requirements from older games, and none of the new games require that DRM.

Uplay, Origin and GFWL are all far better than Steam in terms of offline mode, and also account management. The offline mode actually works consistently and in a logical manner unlike Steam, where you often have to be online to go to offline mode. And second, all three of these services can work on multiple PCs using the same account (even same game on two different PCs simultaneously in case of Origin), whereas Steam barfs if you login from another PC, even if folks are playing different games on those two PCs.

I hope every major developer comes out with their own service, and Steam becomes just one of the available options, and to some extent that has already happened.

I use to eventually buy certain games at Steam but now with abundance of DRM-free titles (thanks to GoG and HumbleBundle and even Amazon on occasions) and better DRM policies elsewhere, there's nothing I have bought there in almost an year now. Doesn't make any sense to pick up Bastion, Legend of Grimrock, Alan Wake, Witcher2 and likes over there, when completely DRM free versions can be easily purchased.

22. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 03:29 Prez

I've got to disagree with you there, unlike Uplay, Origin and GFWL don't feature always online DRM nonsense.

I was speaking of Uplay as the digital service. Ubisoft has moved to one-time online activation only for *some* games, and Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 both have working offline modes, which is a HUGE improvement over their constant always-online garbage of the past. But yeah, there probably remains several games which still have an always-online requirement.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 03:09 dj LiTh

Honestly i just hope someone picks up the IP's and they dont die. I'm not a fan of Ubi, but better them then some others as Creston said.  

20. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 02:54 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:47:
nin wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:40:
Somebody get Gabe on the phone. If we can twist his arm just right, he might even green light a space shooter from Volition, once he owns them.

(I can dream, dammit.)

That's all it would be - once emerging from Chapter 11, THQ will be considerably more valuable than their stock price indicated. Likely far too rich for Valve's blood (although Valve likely has the money to buy Volition or Relic should they be so inclined, and they don't get into a bidding war with anyone else).

Granted, the practical upshot of Ubi being the first confirmed bidder is that it means the bidding is likely starting off pretty low - they're not exactly swimming in cash.

It's not like Valve would buy the whole company, just the IP they're interested in. But then again, that's the whole problem with Valve. Is there someone over there willing to move his desk over and have a look?

Creston

19. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 02:52 Creston

siapnar wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:21:
NOT good news. THQ wised up and began using Steamworks for their releases. If Ubsioft obtains their old properties they will saddle all of the games with the Uplay crap. It's not horrible; certainly better than Origin and GFWL, but in a world with Steam it's utterly pointless.
It's gonna become a colossal annoyance with all these online game services being mandatory for different games

I always thought so, but to be honest, as long as they launch automatically and they DON'T force you to buy your products through them (Hi EA! Go fuck yourselves!), I don't have that much of an issue with it. It's just an extra program that runs while you're playing.

It makes starting up AC3 a convoluted hassle, but after that I never notice the Uplay thing.

Creston

18. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 02:51 Creston

I'd rather Ubisoft gets them than EA or Activision.

At least Ubisoft still makes interesting games, rather than "let's grab an old IP and turn it into a piece of shit!" (for example: Syndicate. Dear God that game is just fucking TERRIBLE.)

But even so, still not good news, obviously.

Creston

17. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 xXBatmanXx

entr0py wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:37:
NOT good news. THQ wised up and began using Steamworks for their releases. If Ubsioft obtains their old properties they will saddle all of the games with the Uplay crap. It's not horrible; certainly better than Origin and GFWL, but in a world with Steam it's utterly pointless.

It sucks to ever be saddled with a required distribution platform/DRM package, but to me it's the always online trend that's truly intolerable.

huh? You can't play BF3 without Origin.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 01:29 Cutter

netnerd85 wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 22:26:
Get away from her you bitch!

What the hell are we supposed to use man? Harsh language?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 22, 2012, 00:26 wtf_man

Although I don't like it... UPlay wasn't that bad for Far Cry 3. The offline mode works. It's just a couple of extra clicks to launch the game in offline mode.

I'd rather do that than be forced to logon to Origin just to play the my game (DA:O if any active DLC is in the save game, for example).

14. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:47 killer_roach

nin wrote on Dec 21, 2012, 23:40:
Somebody get Gabe on the phone. If we can twist his arm just right, he might even green light a space shooter from Volition, once he owns them.

(I can dream, dammit.)

That's all it would be - once emerging from Chapter 11, THQ will be considerably more valuable than their stock price indicated. Likely far too rich for Valve's blood (although Valve likely has the money to buy Volition or Relic should they be so inclined, and they don't get into a bidding war with anyone else).

Granted, the practical upshot of Ubi being the first confirmed bidder is that it means the bidding is likely starting off pretty low - they're not exactly swimming in cash.

13. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:40 nin

(I can dream, dammit.)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:38 The Half Elf

Speaking of imagery, it's more like The Swamp of Sadness from the Neverending Story. Who will pull THQ out of the gunk? Ubisoft only to burden the beast down with 6 tons of Uplay? EA who will boil the horse of it's meat and throw away the shell? Activision who will breed the horse yearly with great success and then assassinate the horse behind closed doors when the horse has had enough?

Is it bad that I'd like Rockstar/Take Two to buy Volition and get the Saints/Red Faction IP's?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:37 entr0py

10. Re: Ubisoft Eyeing THQ? Dec 21, 2012, 23:21 siapnar

It's gonna become a colossal annoyance with all these online game services being mandatory for different games

I have projectile dysfunction.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo